Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Putting V8 clutch into I6 inline six EF V8 into EF I6
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Really quick and dimwitted question.

Since my Exceedy HD model is nearing the end of its good life I've been keeping eyes open for a decent replacement, as per normal, not having the cash to go buying another new.

There is one for sale $500 NZ Peso. Is sold as V8. http://racebrakes.com.au/ford-falcon-au ... h-kit.html

I would have thought the V8 and the I6 used the same clutch. But they don't. The V8 is listed as 268x10x27.0mm. The inline six is EF 4.0L 255x10x27.0mm.

Is this a case of drilling and tapping the I6 flywheel to accommodate the slightly larger clutch size? Is there any other issues / clearances / problems that anyone actually KNOWS about? Not after a huge guesswork list of issues. The thing is only 5.5mm bigger out each side. So I should be able to dirll and tap the flywheel to suit new bolt positions, or actually drill the clutch housing to suit the flywheel if 5.5mm isn't going to eat the inside of the blots out.

I suppose taking a bit of meat out the bellhousing to give the throw out fork and bearing a bit more travel is also required?!

I have a few hours before the guy leaves, so ASAP answers will be paid for. $500 for this seems too good to pass up, but no good at all if not fitting the I6 relatively easily*

*** by "easily" I mean if it takes three days or more than $200 it is not "easy"

Post subject: Re: Putting V8 clutch into I6 inline six EF V8 into EF I6
Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:43 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

So, will the V8 T5 clutch fit the I6 T5?
Well, not without the V8 pressure plate. This requires drilling and tapping the flywheel, which needs to be spot on, then re balancing. If not done correctly this could be all bad.
So, why not just use a V8 flywheel? Is it a direct fit? Are any other mods required?

Well, I am about to find out.
My current setup is an EF Fairmont with EA box, EA flywheel, and fairly new heavy duty EA clutch and pressure plate.

This was fine with the standard engine, but now after a significant power increase it is no longer doing the job.
So, after some research and shopping around, I now have a shiny new light weight billet aluminium Mustang V8 flywheel on my bench, along with a new EB GT clutch and pressure plate, new bearing, and a set of ARP bolts.

Let the fun begin.
Will post back how it went.

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Post subject: Re: Putting V8 clutch into I6 inline six EF V8 into EF I6
Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:16 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

it ill work, I used a ba xr6 turbo billet flywheel and au xr8 clutch on my turbo ed..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]