Fordmods Logo

Question about wind in piston tool for brake pads 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Question about wind in piston tool for brake pads
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 93 Ford Falcon GLI ED

QLD, Australia

Do the rear brake pistons on a ED 93 ford have a slot or holes for a wind back tool to fit in.
can any one recommend where to get them from in Queensland Australia.

Post subject: Re: Question about wind in piston tool for brake pads
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Id say any auto store will have the tool your after. What you do is leave the old pads in and slide the tool between them and then turn the end that either has a knob or what ever it has until the piston completely compresses. I bought this exact one from my local hardware store for about $15
Alternatively, if you relieve pressure from the piston by removing the brake line sometimes you can push the piston in by hand.

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:47 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Raven that is the wrong tool for pushing rear pistons on an ED. They have to be wound in with a special tool.
That tool shown and your advice is good for doing the fronts.
The tool is round with a notch that are wound in with a socket set inside the piston. This is what the tool looks like. It is available at almost every spare parts shop.
The piston has to be wound back into the caliper on these cars. Silly set up but yeah...

Attachments:
images-17.jpeg
images-17.jpeg [ 4.13 KiB | Viewed 2117 times ]

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Cheers for that. I didnt know that the Ed was different and actually assumed they were all the same. Thanks for correcting me.

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:57 pm 

NSW, Australia

No probs. I think maybe EF/EL are different and it might not be needed. I know the AU and BA dosent need it. Pushes in with that tool you showed.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:00 pm 

NSW, Australia

If i remember correctly i think i payed around $30 for that tool. Much needed owning EA-ED. :wink:

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:36 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: XH Ute

QLD, Australia

I was doing the rear brakes on my HX ute and found the screw in thingy eventually, didn't have a manual!

I got the piston back into the body by screwing the adjuster at the back then pressing the piston in. Seemed to work fine.

Apologies for the vague description, it was a while back and I don't remember the detail. IIRC the handbrake lever has a slot that actuates on an oval section of the brake calliper. Imagine a circle with flats cut top and bottom. I wound this back into the calliper body with a spanner (you can only do it a bit at a time before there isn't enough of the oval section proud of the body to grip) then pushed the piston back in by hand and repeated until I had enough space to fit the new pads.

Once the calliper was refitted with the new pads, I pulled the handbrake on and off a few times to wind up the pistons and take the slack out of the system.

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

falcopops wrote:
I was doing the rear brakes on my HX ute and found the screw in thingy eventually, didn't have a manual!

I got the piston back into the body by screwing the adjuster at the back then pressing the piston in. Seemed to work fine.

Apologies for the vague description, it was a while back and I don't remember the detail. IIRC the handbrake lever has a slot that actuates on an oval section of the brake calliper. Imagine a circle with flats cut top and bottom. I wound this back into the calliper body with a spanner (you can only do it a bit at a time before there isn't enough of the oval section proud of the body to grip) then pushed the piston back in by hand and repeated until I had enough space to fit the new pads.

Once the calliper was refitted with the new pads, I pulled the handbrake on and off a few times to wind up the pistons and take the slack out of the system.

Yes, that does work, I have done it myself. Did you relube the seal with silicone grease before puting the handbrake actuating lever back on ?????

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: XH Ute

QLD, Australia

Cheers CJH, good to know it's an alternative method that is OK. Without the manual I was guessing and using old knowledge of other cars and bikes to fathom the problem.

I didn't re-lube the seal and since the other calliper was seized solid a full re-build of all callipers is on the to-do list, I'll do it properly then.

The seal on there was a dry as a nuns unmentionable anyway.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]