Fordmods Logo

quick question on ef el tailshafts... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: quick question on ef el tailshafts...
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:00 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF futura

NT, Australia

hey i bought this kit a little while ago : http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280160879524#ebayphotohosting

i was wondering, is there any difference between this tailshaft and my current auto tailshaft? and could i just put the yoke onto the end with the balancer?

cheers,

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:43 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi
auto and manual tail shafts are the same. the only difference is the rear flanges are different between ea-eb1 to eb2 and on..
some have a balancer on the front of the shaft but they will still fit...

station wagons and fairlanes have a longer shafts and dont fit into sedans..

so if you have a problem fitting the manual shaft because of the different diff flange you can just use your auto shaft...

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I thought that the XR tailshafts were 2 piece and alloy, it looks like a standard tail shaft there.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
I thought that the XR tailshafts were 2 piece and alloy, it looks like a standard tail shaft there.

XR 2-piece tailshafts I think came out in BA/BFs? Only for the XR8s I believe. EF/EL XRs had alloy one piece.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Oh yep my bad, also good to know that you can get 2 piece for the EF/EL http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=117612

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

The seller claims that there is a difference between his "xr6" gearbox and one out of a EF futura for example....

As far as i know theyre all the same, the only ones that are different is Series 1 EB boxes and before.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF futura

NT, Australia

thanx for that guys. that two piece shaft is very tempting... might wait till i actually get some good mods on the car to require something like that..

i actually didnt get the tailshaft sent up because of the added cost. as i thought it was pretty much the same shaft. i got him to send up the yoke thing on the front of the shaft that balances it... that will fit onto my current shaft hey?

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:28 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

if the flange on the rear of the tail shaft is the same as yours. than yes. both shafts/yolks are the same.
but if the manual tail shaft has a different style flange at the rear than.no.
the yolk with the balancer wont fit

if you currently have no issues with your auto shaft(vibrating ect)
i would use your auto one. less hassles.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Hi Guys, I spent 7 years in a tailshaft shop, and we used to remove the harmonic balancer-thingy on the trans slip yoke and just rebalance the shaft without it. Never had a problem. Same goes with the Commodes and Skyline/Pintaras that had them. They were factory fitted to some cars to stop a harmonic vibration, but if you balance the shaft properly the problem is sorted.
Also, be very careful changing uni's on the alloy shafts, very easy to damage the shaft. Seen plenty destroyed by back-yarders with big hammers.

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

The Balancer thing you are refering to is the slip yoke damper. Its fitted to absorb "boom" thats emmited from the transmission. The shaft can be balanced down to almost perfect (>5gcm) and if the SYD is removed this "boom" will still occur. If the kit is from an XR6 the driveshaft should be a 3.25" alloy and not the 3"steel thats in the pic. The alloy is used as they will have less imbalance at higher speeds due to flexing (HEnce no speed limiter on XR's). All the diff flanges are the same from EB2 up to the AU and even on the BA-BF wagons and utes (excluding XR6T, XR8 and FPV utes) There are only 2 basic slip yokes which is the standard that is in the pic and the Tremec type which has a larger diameter. Some of the E series pursuit cars had a 2 piece driveshaft fitted but with a Double Cardin joint on the rear instead of the current CVJ. Im currently in my 5th year with a company thats pumped out up to 700 driveshafts a day and still going strong.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]