Fordmods Logo

Raduis Rod - Replacing Bushes? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Raduis Rod - Replacing Bushes?
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

NSW, Australia

I've had a problem in the XR6 for a while, where if you brake firmly, there's a clunk and I can feel play somewhere in the suspension. Also, going slowly over bumps I can feel play in there somewhere too.

I got under the car and it looks like the bushes in the radius rod (front bushes) are gone. The bushes themselves are a little loose and I can spin them by hand, which I don't think is a good sign.

I got a lever in between the control arm and pushed the rod forward...it moves a good amount forward...the whole wheel assembly has a good inch movement FORWARD if I lever it hard enough.

SO...is this a job I can do myself without needing a press or anything...Gregories isn't very helpful with this....is it just a case of undoing the front nut, and the bolts from the control arm end? Can I just bash the bushes out?

Or how much will a suspension mob charge me? Anyone had any recent experience with these?

Cheers...

Post subject: Re: Raduis Rod - Replacing Bushes?
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Yes you can but from memory you need to remove the lower control arm ( at least remove the inner bolt) to remove the radius rod from the K frame. The bushes should pop out easily.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:01 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

You'll need to drop the lower control arm out if you want to replace the back bush, or lower it to remove the radius rod - no need for spring compressor. The front rubbers come off pretty easy, the bush in the control arm can be pressed out using a large vice and sockets, although cut the rubber lip off to help this.
I'd suggest you fit superpro bushes, as they'll be easier to install than rubber ones. The front rubbers seem to have a fair amount of give, which I'd think would affect location of the suspension strut - superpro/nolathane have considerably less, so I would think this would aid maintaining geometry of the suspension strut.
If you're going to that trouble, be wise to check everything else, and replace where necessary - ball joints, etc.
After everything is back together, you'll need a wheel alignment, so wise to look at both sides.

EDIT: Maybe the front mounting nut and large washer might be loose. And that might be all it is.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Last edited by snap0964 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Cool, thanks :D

So what are superpro bushes exactly? I know of nolathane, but never heard of superpro.

Think I'll give it a go myself if you guys reckon it's not too difficult.

I just hope the bushes are the cause of my problems. I tried nipping up the nuts on the front end but they just would not budge...hopefully they come off a little easier!

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:11 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

the_scotsman wrote:
So what are superpro bushes exactly? I know of nolathane, but never heard of superpro.
They are a polyurethane bush - blue in colour, they have some flex, unlike nolathane, so they aren't too harsh with road shock. They're tough as nails, and seem to last.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ahhh ok...sounds good. Where am I likely to find them in town? The usual places, Repco, Autpro etc?

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Couldn't find Superpro ones in town so just went with nolathane...the rest of the car is on nolathane anyway.

I think I *may* have found the cause of the knocking and lose play in the front...what do you think?

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

wow i'm impressed.

hence why snap was steering you away from nolathane though, it's just too phukn hard.you will find that polyurethane won't crumble like that. after replacing every bit of rubber in my car with nolathane i regret it, it's awsome as a track car but as a street driven car it's plain ridiculous.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yep...he was right...I will never use nolathane on any car again...but I intend to sell this car next year and get a new one so I was happy to get the nolathane this time around.

Unbelievable eh.....

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:23 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I've still got my original front rubber bushes, nothing wrong with them - you could've had them.
Yep, seen too many posts displaying the Nolathane 'powder'.
I rebushed both my cars with Superpro - PITA to remove the rubber ones, though well worth it - handling and ride is so much better - road noise hasn't really made an impact.

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You are SO right Snap. I had a guy at work the other day and I was telling him how to get the lower control arm out of his AU and he told me that he had bought the Nolathane to rebush his front end, I advised him to go the SuperPro route and I THINK I got through to him, but you never know?

I replaced the bushes in my AU with original (mainly because I can get them REAL cheap) :) ones and I was not disappointed.

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:13 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I wouldn't be so quick to bag the Nolethane when its usually installer error, which I think it is in this case.

I've used Nolathane for a few years with success, as have a few people I know. If you do some research, you'll find that the stiffness number of the bushes are pretty much the same in both Superpro and Nolathane ranges.

I've got $5, no make it $10, that whoever installed the bush didn't use enough grease and the rod movement heated the bush up over time and chewed it apart. Thats why it went all powdery. A Superpro bush will do the same if you don't grease them properly.

Factory Ford bushes used to fail very prematurely, in exactly the same way, because of a lack of grease too.

It was probably me being anal, but I used to go through and regrease the bushes every year to make sure they lasted me.. And they always did.

Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:06 am 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Huuuuuuuuuge thread mine here :)

I'd much prefer a maintenance-free bush...but maybe that's not going to happen. SuperPro for the radius rod bushes is locked in...how many of you guys re-grease the bushes once fitted?

What type of longevity is everyone getting?

To me there is still some ambiguity about whether the use of crush tubes (that come in the SuperPro kit) are required. As mentioned in another thread that I started recently, there were no crush tubes from the nolathane assembly that I removed (read, powdery red chunks). The workshop manual also doesn't show the use of crush tubes either!

Would like some clarification on the above - if you use the crush tubes supplied, the assembly does not pack together with all the washers which makes re-fitting impossible.

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

If they come with Crush Tubes, use them. The Guys at Fulcrum know what theyre doing.

The crush tubes are more about bush lateral control than compression. The Control Arm bushes cant be tightened past the washer on the end of the thread anyway.

I love SuperPro.

Nigel

Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Nigel wrote:
If they come with Crush Tubes, use them.

+1 with that.

You'd find as well the bush wouldn't be a snug fit on the radius rod arm without them.
I wouldn't grease them as often as Adrian mentions, maybe a few years periodically.

I swapped a set of them over to another car after a couple years of use, they showed slight wear, but were very durable, considering the use and conditions.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]