Rear BF XR8 brakes onto BA XR6 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Rear BF XR8 brakes onto BA XR6
Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

I've got a BA xr6 and am looking to upgrade the brakes a bit more then what I've already done (DBA slotted rotors)
I've heard the BF xr6t/xr8 and territory all share a larger rear brake kit that will fit onto a BA xr6.
So far I've had a quote of $550 for the parts needed to do the conversion (lines, rotors and calipers) plus new pads I'm looking at a total of around $630.

Main question has anyone done this? was the braking noticeably better?
As im unsure whether this money could be better spent somewhere else, ie. braided lines.

For those that don't know the rear brake set up on the BF xr8/xr6t and ford territory is a larger and vented rotor, the caliper is also bigger but is still a single slide piston caliper.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Post subject: Re: Rear BF XR8 brakes onto BA XR6
Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I changed the brakes on my AU3 XR6 and put the FG Turbo brakes on it. The fronts are 322mm diameter discs and they will fit direct to your car and the Calipers bolt straight to the stub axles. (but, if you use FG calipers you will need to change them to the other side eg: left caliper to right stub axle and so on)

The rears should fit also but the shields off the backing plate are smaller. you will have no issues with brake hoses and such and it is WELL worth the effort.

You should contact Macarthur parts, a sponsor on here, and see if he can do a better deal.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:15 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ive done it aswell. twice now to au's and the braking is awesome..

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thanks guys will be giving them a call for sure!!! Also is the BA FPV (PRB) brake kit the same deal as the fg xr6t setup? also is the fg xr6t setup the same as the bf?

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:44 pm 

NSW, Australia

the fg xr6t/xr8 brakes are the same as the bf xr6t brakes.. rear brakes are also the same as territory..

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So I've done some more research, found that there are two types of bf style bigger front brakes, 322mm and 325mm, is there any real difference between these? does anyone know how hard it would be to find rotors and pads to suit the calipers used in these sizes?

I've also found Territory turbo front brakes are 340mm, however I've only found one place to get replacement rotors for these which are $400+ for a pair of plain rotors...

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:23 am 

NSW, Australia

the 322 fronts are from bf/fg xr6t and xr8 they are the pbr premium brakes, not sure about the "325mm"?

the 322 rotors are pretty cheap and easily available and so are the pads.

the territory front brakes are different afaik and don't fit falcon?

the territory rear are the same 328mm ventilated brakes used on the bf/fg xr6t and xr8, again are reasonably cheap and so are the pads...

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

okey found out the 325mm fronts are a PBR kit that were designed for GT's. The diameter is only 3mm bigger however the rotor thickness is 32mm up from 28mm in the 322mm kits. The 325mm kits are still a 2 piston caliper.
Also found i can get replacement RDA rotors for the 325mm for about 200 a pair :) so i might go for the 325mm over the 322mm.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i know i started the thread with the intention of doing the rears, but they can wait, as i can do the fronts at a pretty decent price.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:10 am 

NSW, Australia

that would mean that you would need the calipers from a gt so take the thicker rotor?..
I was under the impression that all the gt's ran brembo brakes?

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
that would mean that you would need the calipers from a gt so take the thicker rotor?..
I was under the impression that all the gt's ran brembo brakes?

Yes it's a different caliper! I believe the pad surface area is a little larger aswell.
Not the BA's and i think typhoons had it as a brake option. Either way unfortunately those fronts were already sold :cry: which probably isn't such a bad thing as i would be restricted to DBA or PBR for replacement rotors and pads and that = $$$ for most likely minimal gain.

To update you guys, today i bought the 322mm xr8/xr6t calipers, I'm buying some new RDA slotted and dimpled rotors to suit.

I couldn't resist and ended up buying the 328mm rear kit (bf xr8/xr6t territory).

I've also bought for front and rear QFM HPX pads.

And an interesting note is that the 322mm front caliper takes the same pad as the standard ba xr6 caliper. This isn't too bad for me as it means i wont have to buy another set of racing pads for the front when i go down to the track.

Can't wait till my new pads and rotors come then find some free time to fit em all.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
The Territory front brakes are different A.F.A.I.K and don't fit Falcon?

The Territory rear are the same 328mm ventilated brakes used on the BF/FG XR6T and XR8, again are reasonably cheap and so are the pads...

The front and rear rotors are the same for Territory as they are for Falcon (322 & 328mm Except the SY territory, they have different rear discs, same size)

The rear calipers are the same, according to part number but the fronts are a tad different. From what I remember the front calipers on Territorys are about 12mm lower to give better wheel size support as Territorys have 17" rims.

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Papa Smurf wrote:

Papa Smurf wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
The Territory front brakes are different A.F.A.I.K and don't fit Falcon?

The Territory rear are the same 328mm ventilated brakes used on the BF/FG XR6T and XR8, again are reasonably cheap and so are the pads...

The front and rear rotors are the same for Territory as they are for Falcon (322 & 328mm Except the SY territory, they have different rear discs, same size)

The rear calipers are the same, according to part number but the fronts are a tad different. From what I remember the front calipers on Territorys are about 12mm lower to give better wheel size support as Territorys have 17" rims.

Yer it's a shame that's the case, otherwise the 340mm territory turbo rotors would be a direct bolt on.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Tablet post issues

Last edited by frankieh on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Tablet posting duplicates... Sorry.. :-(

Last edited by frankieh on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next