Fordmods Logo

Rear Suspension Arm Mod for XE/XF?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Rear Suspension Arm Mod for XE/XF??
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Hi all, I have a 351 pwered XF manual which I do a bit of club racing in. Just got it back on the road after a 12mth "project" (one thing just led to another) and am sorting a few new gremlins which have appeared.

One of which is - my new custom driveshaft is touching the tunnel (under maximum load, I presume) right down near the diff. There's heaps of clearance at rest so the diff must be twisting a horrrendous amount. There's a shiny patch in the tunnel where it's contacting, and a worn 'band' or ring-mark around the driveshaft tube at the same spot (it's painted & brand new so it was easy to see).

I've heard there's a simple mod to the uppper arm location bracket on the diff (re-drill the holes rearward and downward) but I've also heard if you get it wrong it buggers everything.

Anyone heard of this? Or any other remedies which I can look at?

This thing is done on a shoestring, so big-budget solutions are a no-go for me! Cheers

"When you're racing, you're living; everything else is just waiting". Steve McQueen

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:49 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

What sort of condition are your bushes in? If they are rubber, maybe urethane will help stop the problem as they have no flex in em.

If they are already urethane, then i bet they are rooted.

Also, is your car lowered (alot?) ?

Cheers
Matt

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

xf_xr6 wrote:
What sort of condition are your bushes in? If they are rubber, maybe urethane will help stop the problem as they have no flex in em.

If they are already urethane, then i bet they are rooted.

Also, is your car lowered (alot?) ?

Cheers
Matt

Hey Matt.
Bushes are BRAND NEW nolathane. I got unde rthe car and started checking things piece by piece - the first thing I found is the RH upper arm bolt on the diff was GONE so the arm was doing nothing at all. Replaced that, will re-spray the shiny contact areas, do some k's and see what - if anything - is still touching.

Yes the car is lowered - King superlows. They're a bit soft perhaps and my shocks are pretty average (just Monroes) - I've spent most of the dough on the front end (done the Shelby drop, Koni racing shocks valved for the car, cut/bent top arms, 1,200lb springs, etc). Front end characteristics are awesome but the rear still leaves a bit to be desired!

I think the bolt must have been out for a while becuase I've felt this 'walking' feeling in the rear if you lift or pin the throttle (i.e. large throttle change) in a very fast corner. Tends to pucker the butthole a bit!

Cheers
Logan

"When you're racing, you're living; everything else is just waiting". Steve McQueen

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]