Fordmods Logo

Replacing radius rod bushes yourself? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Replacing radius rod bushes yourself?
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1989 300ZX Twin turbo Z32

QLD, Australia

Hey guys. The drivers side radius rod bush that goes into the kframe is fuked on my eb (bush is torn). I can get ahold of new bushes for both sides for $39. However I was reading my gregories manual and they reckon that you need special equipment to do it but in my haynes manual they kinda just say to replace it.

Has anyone else tried to replace this bush? I'd rather do it myself if I can. Coz its making a knocking noise when going round corners and its pissin me off!

Sold my EB :(
Now got my 300zx :)

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Bluecube,

The bush isn't too hard to remove, and can be done without the " special tool " that the gregory's reckon's you need.

If you remove the front bumper, you can use a rather long screw driver or some other punch like object, with a small steel mallet, say 3lb, you can bash the crush tube & the remains of the bush from the K frame. It's not a very easy task, but it can be done.

If your replacement bushes are like the urethane bushes i bought, they come in 2 pieces, and are easy enough to push in by hand.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1989 300ZX Twin turbo Z32

QLD, Australia

Thanks mate! Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Look like i'll be ordering the new bushes for both sides then! Hopefully it fixed my problem!

Sold my EB :(
Now got my 300zx :)

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

bluecube wrote:
Thanks mate! Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Look like i'll be ordering the new bushes for both sides then! Hopefully it fixed my problem!

Your welcome.

Come to think of it, i'm not 100% sure if the K frame bush has a crush tube or not, but no matter, a large punch like object + force will remove the bush from it's location.

To do the job " properly ". you could make up bush removal tool with some appropriate size tubes, some appropriate sized washers, a long bolt & a few nuts, i think it's detailed somewhere in the gregory's.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

i did this yesterday :P its easy... no "special" tools needed...

i believe it was a #27 spanner too for both bolts...

and it helps to remove the strut part of it that connects to the lower wishbone... made it easier for me :)

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

I'd like to hear a little more on how you guys replaced the bushes. Mine are stuffed and I'd like to replace them myself.

Nolathane or rubber? Are they both as easy to replace?

What's involved with changing the bush on the other end at the lower control arm?

Any info appreciated. :)

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

I had to do this a few years ago on my EA and it was a pain the a**....

it is not easy to remove the old bush....u basically have to destroy the thing to get it out by brutal means...cant remember how exactly i did it but it was a b**ch...

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

gogetta wrote:
I had to do this a few years ago on my EA and it was a pain the a**....

it is not easy to remove the old bush....u basically have to destroy the thing to get it out by brutal means...cant remember how exactly i did it but it was a b**ch...

If you don't make up a tool, yeah you get real cave man on them & destroy them twice over, lol. Otherwise make up the bush removal tool as per the gregories manual. Cave man way can be achieved with a very long blade screwdriver, and a small mallet / sledge hammer, and brute bashing force. Bash on them from the front of the car, pushing them out towards the rear, with your front bumper removed for easier swinging access. :twisted:

If you fit the nolethane bushes, iirc they are a two piece bush, just slides in. Std rubber replacements would need a tool to install them.

Lower control arm bush, a small press like a super cheap 6ton shop press or again a bush removal tool will do the job. Not too hard. Nolethane replacements are easy to fit.

I have one of those super cheap 6ton shop presses, and they are a great tool to have. I've done bushes in my Ford, Mighty Boy, Hz Pano and soon the torana with it. Saved heaps instead of paying pedders to press them! My savings have paid for the press atleast 3 times over now!

I've gone nolethane for my bushes, my front end is so tight now, it's great! I've done most of the rear end as well, just need to do the control arms now.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Last edited by ToranaGuy on Fri May 09, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

WTF - double post. Sorry guys.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I didn't have any dramas removing the rubber ones when I did mine - ages ago now but. Like most I used Nolathane replacements.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks for the help guys. A few more questions... :)

The radius rod has to come right out, correct?

Will a spanner do the trick, or is it a rattle gun job?

Front bumper: can this be removed just by myself, or do I need a hand?

Will a large G clamp get the bushes on instead of a press (No shed for me to work in?)

Thanks again, Mike

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

V8 Ghia Mike wrote:

Will a large G clamp get the bushes on instead of a press (No shed for me to work in?)

Thanks again, Mike

Mike, your welcome dude, that's what most of us are on the forums for. Certainly i am, to both give & receive help. I know i've got a lot of help off here & hope i've given a fair bit back!

Yes radius rod has to come out of the car. A spanner should do the trick, if not a socket & long breaker bar should break it, then undo with a spanner. It's about 24mm iirc. On my EB, with the K frame in the car i couldn't get a rattle gun in there to undo them.

Yes the front bumper can be removed by yourself. Jack the car up & support it. Unbolt it at both sides first, under the guards, then there is two nuts on either side of the car at the radiator support, and the bumper slides forward & off the car. I've got a pic of my EB with the bumper off, may give you an idea where to find the 4 main nuts that hold the bumper on. Pic in my gallery.

A large G clamp, along with the aid of a tube over the handle for more leverage may work to remove & install bushes. You would need to setup the G clamp carefully to do it. Along with a couple bits of tube & some large washers it should work.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks TG, I'll have a look under there tomorrow and decide if I want to attempt it. Pedders wanted a fortune to do the work. :roll:

Nothing worse than pulling the car to bits and having something simple like a bush stop you from finishing the job!

Mike

Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

i did mine on the ea about 18 months ago.

all i did was cut the front lip off with a stanley knife then pushed them out with a socket and ratchet.

don't forget to use the grease that comes with them and don't be frugal with it.

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

V8 Ghia Mike wrote:

Thanks again, Mike

EF/EL are different to the box cars.

You still need a 24mm spanner to undo the front bolt of the radius rod.

You will also need to drop the lower arm from the k-frame because the size of the bush will make it difficult to pull the arm backwards to get the rod out.

And the factory radius k-frame bush on an EF/EL is 2 piece, whether its rubber or urethane. And the replacement Nolathane equivalent is 2 piece as well, so it's a relatively easy task.

As for the box car radius bush. The easiest way I found to get them out is a length of metal pole - like a tent support or similar - and a decent hammer or small sledge. Put the pole on the back of the metal inner of the bush and hit a couple of times. The bushes would be that old and shagged, 2 or 3 hits would pop it out quick smart.

If anyone is interested, I'm in the middle of organising a group buy of complete Nolathane car kits (every bush from front to back) for prices you cant find ANYWHERE.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next