Fordmods Logo

Rotors warping 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Rotors warping
Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Ive put a set of bendix ultimate pads (cost me close to $80 for the fronts) in the car 2 years ago & hadnt had the rotors machined. the pads were cheapies that came with the rotors & were finished, well & truly. I hadnt given them a fun life by any means

a little over 12 months later a shudder developed & it was time to get them machined. the shudder went away, 6 months later its back.

they're slotted with EL GT wheels, and im wondering if theres a rapid hot cold warp going on or its just the pads not matting up correctly. I find it a little strange the crap pads had the crap beaten out of them & were good, now the quality pads are (potentially) giving me issues, but only after a long period of time

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Post subject: Re: Rotors warping
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:12 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hmm what kind of rotors are you running?

I've been told that sometimes, if a rotor has warped before, even after machining, it will warp again. Just depends how hard you step on the brakes.

My rotors lasted me 2 years before my pads ran out (bendix ultimate). Rotors were fine and I am sure it will still last me a while longer with new pads.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

RDA's. its understandable its far more likely the rotors will crap out again once warped & machined.

I was running RDA pads (full package deal from a FM sponsor) & i cooked those pads & rotors something kronic! towing 1.4tonne trailers (without brakes), street racing, agressive braking. so much at some points i actually smelt burning brake material quite badly. in fact, aside the dust & fad (only under EXTREME heat) they were good cheap pads

i really wouldnt like to think the bendix pads have caused my issues. im running the same setup as phong, just with the GT rims

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I'm probably crazy and due for new rotors soon, but I've run 3 sets of EBC greenstuff pads on my front rotors (DBA) and I haven't had a problem. In fact I haven't even had them machined. It more than likely comes down to the rotor/pad combo.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:19 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

fiftyone...DBA have good heat distribution compared to RDAs. Something to do with the internal pattern design which helps distritube heat more. I had stock RDAs in the front and they warped on me with some random pads...not sure if they were matching but they warped twice on me (on my EA though).

I did a fair bit of towing (about 400-500kg) during the last 2 years and my rotors haven't warped at all...just pads wore out a little quicker but braking was great. DBA + Bendix Ultimate seem to work just fine at the moment.

Bendix Ultimates are pretty grippy, so if the rotors aren't up to the task (heat up faster without good ventilation), the grippier pads may just cause the disc to warp during heavy braking/towing.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I think its ur rotors as ive had DBA slotted rotor with Bendix Ultimate pad combo previously with no issues.

One Drone

How many kms have ur pads lasted???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I imagined that RDA & DBA would be almost the same needing to both be to ASNZ & RDA compliant

I really like the ultimates, if these rotors give me the s**t for long enough i'll get some DBA's

Thanks heaps guys

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

i have dba's and ultimates and have continuous issues with rotors wrapping... 2 sets of rotors and pads exactly the same. latest rotors shaved in april and the shudder is slowly coming back. I think a less harsh pad should be used due to the small size of the rotors. Anyways, to get the rotors shaved again only costs 40$ but its still a pain in the a***. i was looking at getting a set of QFMs. Apparently they are better than Greenstuff and cheaper and not as harsh. Reading on other forums they are highly regarded.

cheers.

1995 EF Futura
Port and Polished 94DT Tickford Head - Crow valve springs - 68mm Throttle Body - Wade 1673
4499 Pacemakers - 2.5" exhaust - Ti J3 Chip - 2J1 Techedge Logger -EL Tickford 3.45LSD -
XR low springs - Boge Turbo Shocks - Front DBA slotted Rotors - BA ESS shifter - Shift Kit

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

I only ever get my rotors on car machined. It costs me $50 per pair.

Attachments:
Before.JPG
Before.JPG [ 349.56 KiB | Viewed 141 times ]
Starting.JPG
Starting.JPG [ 315.84 KiB | Viewed 137 times ]
During.JPG
During.JPG [ 359.18 KiB | Viewed 147 times ]
Done.JPG
Done.JPG [ 366.68 KiB | Viewed 152 times ]

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el falcon

QLD, Australia

i dont know of anybody that uses runout gauges on discs when setting up the laave to machine them but there is a lot of crap rotors on the market i think they may of come from the recycleing bloody old toyotas

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]