Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: S5 Solinoid
Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:45 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NA / NL fairlane, 08 honda civic

QLD, Australia

replacement of S5 solenoid

Hi All

I took my NL fairlane to get the transmission repaired because the gears where very harsh when changing,

a couple of places said over the phone that an intermittent harsh change and worse when warmed up is likely a failing S5 solenoid.

Took it in to the transmission shop and they charged $650 to replace S7. ( I can not see how the torque converter lockup could affect gear transitioning but anyway) he then told me that when he took it for a drive the gears transition very harsh when he took it for a test drive (exactly what I took it in there for) and that the S5 solenoid is probably what is causing it. I said I will get the S5 soliniod and he can replace it. he said $100 to fit it. now he wants $150 to do the job and I am not really keen on giving him more money to fix a job I not only asked him but told him exactly what was causing it in the first place. why should I have to pay more money because he wanted to replace other random stuff first.

the car drives no better now than it did then.

how hard and how risky is it for me to do this solenoid myself?

Regards

Question.
What is the meaning of life?
Answer.
The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

Post subject: Re: S5 Solinoid
Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

They arn't hard to replace, just need to drop the sump pan and the solenoid block. They are all torx screws in the solenoid block and there are a few of them. Much easier the higher you get the car in the air. If you grab another S5, make sure it's not an adjustable one, they are a pain to set.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]