Scraping noise AU2 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Scraping noise AU2
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

QLD, Australia

Hi again,

I've replaced front lower control arm ball joints few days ago.

One of the arm joints was worn as the lower ball joint kept popping out (dropping down) from its housing. It was pressed on using 20 ton press.

Had a spare lower control arm with a new ball joint previously installed but the frame required pressing to fit. It was out by 10mm or so.

Anyway, got it to fit. Tensioned all bolts to specification and tensioned suspension whilst vehicle on ground with aid of car ramps.

2 days ago I noticed a scraping noise coming from the front wheel, hard to tell which well, scraping is only done when wheels are turning left and right (to a certain point).

Whilst vehicle on the ground I could not see anywhere where the wheels or disc is rubbing.

It is definitely related to steering when turning left and turning right.

I did have the disc off the vehicle and brake callipers hung up on the coil springs at the time when both lower control arms where taken off of the vehicle

Anyone have an idea as to what the problem might be?

Cheers, Peter

Post subject: Re: Scraping noise AU2
Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

QLD, Australia

I eventually found the cause.

I purchased a set of ball joints via ebay for the lower front suspension unit. I assumed it would be no problem as the seller said it would fit Ford AU and BA.

The ball joint was rubbing inside the disc, noise is not present when steering straight , only present when turning left or right irrespective of degrees of turn.

The bottom plate of the ball joint was too big compared to the original. Just goes to show not all ball joints are made the same, diameter wise it fits, correct length of bolt thread but bottom plate covering the actual ball probably 3mm to big length wise.

I'll see if I can get the two ball joints and show you a comparison.

Cheers, Peter

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]