Shift Kit - Do it yourself 

Page 3 of 53 [ 785 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 53  Next

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Low Na wrote:
Just wondering, if it would be possible to wire up the shift kit, so that when ecconomy mode, it shifts normaly, but when in power mode, its shifts harder? Hope that makes sense......

Probably need a relay setup. i.e. when you switch to power mode, triggers relay which engages the shift kit.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Falcon Gli

WA, Australia

Im guessing the switch used for the power/economy is a single pole dt (like the one used in shift kit). A double pole dt switch is basically like having two spdt switches but only one switch (ie, one switch does 2 circuit changes), if you wanted to go to the effort i dont think it would be that hard, just swap the power/econ switch for a dpdt switch, run one side for power/econ and the other for shift kit on/off.
personally i think the effort would be a bit pointless, because one day you may want to have your car in power mode with the shift kit off (eg when towing)

Burp

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ed futura

WA, Australia

yeh it can be done but its a bit hard.

www.thepurplecircle.com
original member.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

what do you think of a kit from "shiftkits.com.au"

any good or just an expensive option for something I can do myself?

thanks

fast1

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:15 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Fairmont + EF gli

QLD, Australia

fast1 wrote:
what do you think of a kit from "shiftkits.com.au"

any good or just an expensive option for something I can do myself?

thanks

Do it yourself ... Under $10 ... and easy to do ... just follow the info on here and you cant go wrong ...

I did and had no problems :D

Photos Here :)
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~jewie/index.htm

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:55 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL falcon - Skyline r33

NSW, Australia

I had a quick read of it , and found it difficult to understand because of my lack of knowledge in electronics.

What does a shiftkit do in 1 sentence or less to sum it up for me and us other noobs?

:shock:

Ta.

It's set up like a deck of cards, They're sending us to early graves. For all the diamonds, they'll use a pair of clubs to beat the spades.

RATM

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

One sentence? Nah.

The parts that move in an automatic gearbox do so because of the pressure of the fluid which 'pushes' them.

Therefore, to increase the "line" pressure increases the force behind these parts.

In a ford 4 speed gearbox, line pressure is controlled by the variable pressure solenoid (VPR) which is usually referred to as the S5 solenoid (it is number 5 of about 8 solenoids within the box).

The transmission computer increases line pressure by reducing current to the S5, reduces line pressure by increasing current to the S5.

Usually, just before a gear change, the trans computer increases the current going to the S5 and hence, reduces the line pressure just before the gear change.

These shift kits are a resistor which prevents this from occuring, so line pressure is higher than it would normally be. Also another resistor to fool the computers "check" line which it uses to ensure the S5 is doing what it should.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: '05 5.4L BA MK2 XT

NSW, Australia

But by installing a shift kit wouldnt it then make the gear changes alot harder, like whiplash hard ?
Also wouldnt it put undue strain on the gearbox and cause it to die alot sooner then it normally would ???

The only reason I havent looked seriously at shift kits is because of the added strain on the gearbox.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Ace wrote:
But by installing a shift kit wouldnt it then make the gear changes alot harder, like whiplash hard ?

That's the idea....

But the resistor values have been calculated to provide a 'firm' shift but there are also adjustable models.

Quote:
Also wouldnt it put undue strain on the gearbox and cause it to die alot sooner then it normally would ???

The kit results in shorter changes and causes less slippage in the box. Less slippage means less friction-related heat. The automatic transmission's worst enemy is heat.

What's more likely to be worse off is uni joints and diffs.

Quote:
The only reason I havent looked seriously at shift kits is because of the added strain on the gearbox.

Well its your call but remember the kit isnt (usually) used 100% of the time. Hell, i hardly ever use mine.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: '05 5.4L BA MK2 XT

NSW, Australia

Argh, so the real decision if i install a shift kit is whether I wanna pay for a new gearbox (w/out shift kit) or a new diff (with kit).

Hows that make the car go sideways in the wet though, That sounds like an interesting prospect and probly what would make me put one in :D
If its got enough power to kick out in the wet it should have more power on the road in the dry.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

bit off topic but ace I just noticed ur signiture, you have a 5" exhaust tip? thats massive!?

and the shift kits will give u no more power, its just that when it shifts (i assume) the driving wheel/wheels get a bit of a kick, they spin a little and in the wet they will lose traction from this = sideways

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Falcon Gli

WA, Australia

To try and say it in one sentence: The shift kit just reduces the time the gearbox spends between gears.

Burp

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Picture driving a manual in the wet. Now picture throwing it through gears with little/no clutch and power down the whole time.

= sideways.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:34 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: '98 EL XR8

NT, Australia

Quote:
Hows that make the car go sideways in the wet though, That sounds like an interesting prospect and probly what would make me put one in
If its got enough power to kick out in the wet it should have more power on the road in the dry.

In my EA (4 spd) without a shift kit, changing from 1st to 2nd in the wet will sometimes make it loose traction at the back and it starts goin off to the side, this is quite strange and I have Potenzas, and I get the occasional whip lash between 1-2 gear changes.

Although I don't know why you would want your Falcon to loose traction in the wet, I crashed my last Giha which was an awesome car all because the wheels were hard and it had grip problems. Loosing traction in the wet scares the s**t outta me now... I avoid it as much as possible.

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Finally got around to doing this properly today. I did a hack job with 5W resistors a while back, using 18ohm.

Might just be my car, but I dunno how you guys can stand having the change that hard. I drove around the block and had a snore neck - the 1/2 shift was very rough!

This time round I went for 22Ohm and it's much better. The 1/2 is still a tiny bit harder than I'd like, but not bad enough that I won't use it :) The box is tucked away nicely as are the leads. All I need to do now is find my 10mm drill bit so I can install the switch properly.

So anyway, thanks for the great info in this thread - it meant I managed to build and install it first go (both times) without any issues.

Ben

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 53  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 53  Next