Fordmods Logo

shiftkit arrived! =p 

Page 4 of 5 [ 74 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

As stockstandard said, you are going to reduce wear in one part, but that wear will move along to another point.

Your car is travelling at a certain speed, so is your motor. By shortening the transition time between speed changes to the engine, the jolt has to go somewhere. It was going into the form of heat from the bands, and getting carried away by the transmission cooler. Now the cooler etc will be doing less work, and you'll be putting a lot more torque onto components like your universals and tailshaft.

No doubt, shift kits are fun. You will be doing less damage having this fun in the wet, as your wheels are allowed to spin and dissipate that torque. I'd suggest throwing in that tailshaft loop if you wanna be playing with it in the dry!

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Post subject: Re: shift kit
Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:

My stage 1 kit from shiftkits.com works different to your homemade job. As soon as i switch it off the shifts go back to normal. It has increased my shift points to the rev limiter. Getting 10km/hr faster out of each gear.

find it hard to see how you get more speed out of each gear.

in power mode foot on the floor i can quite easily get it to the rev limiter

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

EBGizmo wrote:
As stockstandard said, you are going to reduce wear in one part, but that wear will move along to another point.

Your car is travelling at a certain speed, so is your motor. By shortening the transition time between speed changes to the engine, the jolt has to go somewhere. It was going into the form of heat from the bands, and getting carried away by the transmission cooler. Now the cooler etc will be doing less work, and you'll be putting a lot more torque onto components like your universals and tailshaft.

No doubt, shift kits are fun. You will be doing less damage having this fun in the wet, as your wheels are allowed to spin and dissipate that torque. I'd suggest throwing in that tailshaft loop if you wanna be playing with it in the dry!
Im only gonna turn mine on when im playing silly buggers

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: EF Falcon 4.0

WA, Australia

exaclty...since ive had mine, ive had it on twice to show my mates. and it hasnt rained since then so i cant test it in the rain yet lol, but yeh i only got it for show and the occasional fun slide in the wet!

so i doubt if i use it like this its gonna do any damage..

EF Falcon - 4.0 - Xforce Extractors - 2.5" Exhaust - 18" AMG Quakes - Super Low King Springs - K&N POD filter - BodyKit - Sound System - New ShiftKit - MORE 2 COME!

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

cant hurt, nothing wrong with giving the boring old auto a lil fun!

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Post subject: Re: shift kit
Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Gaz wrote:
EL__Fairmont wrote:

My stage 1 kit from shiftkits.com works different to your homemade job. As soon as i switch it off the shifts go back to normal. It has increased my shift points to the rev limiter. Getting 10km/hr faster out of each gear.

find it hard to see how you get more speed out of each gear.

in power mode foot on the floor i can quite easily get it to the rev limiter

yeah mine does the same in power mode but the shift kit holds first gear longer at the rev limiter resulting in the 80km/hr speed as opposed to 70km/hr change. I have read somewhere that other people have noticed similar results. I think it's only on EL's though.

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Well i just took the car for a quick strap to confirm these results

Power Mode; 1st-2nd changes at about 5500rpm just before the tacho hits the red. The speed is approx 70-72km/hr hard to tell exactly due to the long shift.

Power Mode with Shift Kit on; 1st-2nd changes at 6000rpm. Yes the needle is at 6000rpm and the speed is 80km/hr.

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED fairmont Ghia rollin on 18's

VIC, Australia

low ghia wrote:
yep ,mine arriveed last week and fitted it on my lunch break at work...

in the wet HELL SCAREY at times, 1st to 2nd traction loss n sideways kick same same into 3rd.
in the dry, even with the dial turned around only a quarter of a turn chirp and kick eveytime every surface.. i got 225/50/16 and 3.45lsd..

well worth the money and changes snap so fast , not much of a rev drop between gearchanges as compared to standard too.

so how hard is the shift kit on the gearbox after its fitted in your opinion?

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i just installed my stage 1 yesterday, the shift is perfect not soft and not too hard, if you have stockiez and single spinner it chirps from 1st to 2nd every time, some times even from 2nd to 3rd.

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

nice, cant wait, mine should be arriving in the mail tomorrow i hope, i ordered it monday morning... i only got stock suspension with decent tyres and single spin diff (ALWAYS kicks twins doin a sit break though :D) although i should be getting lowered suspension soonish and some nice 18" chrome rims to suit *jumps up and down* :P

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I ordered mine on sunday morning I should get mine 2moz also! hoped it sould be here today, no such luck.

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: E series falcon

SA, Australia

Yep, just ordered mine tonight. Will let you all know how it goes :)

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:17 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 08 ranger xlt

WA, Australia

i dont understand how it works in a ba. wot happens to the sequential auto? do u still use it?

IF ONLY MY GIRLFRIEND WAS AS DIRTY AS MY CAR

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
Well i just took the car for a quick strap to confirm these results

Power Mode; 1st-2nd changes at about 5500rpm just before the tacho hits the red. The speed is approx 70-72km/hr hard to tell exactly due to the long shift.

Power Mode with Shift Kit on; 1st-2nd changes at 6000rpm. Yes the needle is at 6000rpm and the speed is 80km/hr.

No matter how hard i try, i can't get my shift-kitted EL to get past redline :P

And i've tried a lot!

Knowing that the ECU controls the shift points, not the tranny, how does your shiftkit alter these points? I wouldn't mind having a few extra RPM to play with :P

I can see through wooden doors.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

lol Furioso look what u have started!

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next