Shudder when giving it a bit 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Shudder when giving it a bit
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:33 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 3x Toranas

SA, Australia

Gday, just new to these ford forums as I have just recently converted to ford, with my new EF Gli 5 speed, from owning a Torana which was my true love untill it got written off sadly.

But I would like to ask some questions in regard to these wonderful peices of machinery.

1: why does it take a while for the revs to drop when you jab the accellerator in neutral. Something to do with computer controlled torque?

2: When I accellerate fast out of a corner in 2nd gear, the car shudders quite a bit... What could be the cause? Just a normal EF Manual thing or a mechanical problem, like my clutch is on the way out?

Cheers guys

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:48 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Read this:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=23

The Idle speed stepper motor needs cleaning, as per page provided.
Nothing to do with Computer so called torque control.
Also reset the ECU (undo battery for a few minutes) and go it a whirl.

I can assure you my EF doesn't shudder out of any corner,
check for fowling *tailshaft against body* any other mechanical/suspension failures.

Does the clutch slip? Can you feel anything bad?
There might be wear in the gearbox slip yoke, and may create a vibration at a certain rpm'

The standard clutch is reasonably good, however we can't judge its wear or treatment. It might be one its way out.
When its time to renew, like all makes and models reface flywheel, and renew spigot bearing.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:50 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

I will be cleaning the Idle Speed Controller when I get a chance. Thankyou.

The problem I have is pretty hard to explain over the internet as you can imagine.. It's not a vibration shudder, its more like... well you know when people bunny hop their cars and it goes forward, then pulls back, then goes and so on. It's like that out of a corner but on a lesser scale than a bunny hop. And it does it when giving it quite a bit of power out of the corner.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TheAng wrote:
I will be cleaning the Idle Speed Controller when I get a chance. Thankyou.

The problem I have is pretty hard to explain over the internet as you can imagine.. It's not a vibration shudder, its more like... well you know when people bunny hop their cars and it goes forward, then pulls back, then goes and so on. It's like that out of a corner but on a lesser scale than a bunny hop. And it does it when giving it quite a bit of power out of the corner.

do you mean as in a jerking motion? I get that in first but not in 2nd when I am corner...I do sometimes when I let go of the clutch a little bit too fast.

Feels as though the car is bogging down a bit. Try releasing the clutch slower maybe?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

My above problem was caused by my EF's RPM was high.
What would happen was I would be driving, and when I put the clutch it to change gears the car would still be revving at around 2000 RPM, maybe even higher, and it won't drop to proper RPM untill load is on the engine.
I tested this out for a while longer. I stopped, put the car in neutral and revved it over 2000 RPM, and it would drop down to about 2000 RPM and stay like that for about a minute at least, before dropping down to about 850 RPM.

I was working on the problem today with some help of a couple of mates.

I took off the Idle Speed Controller today and gave it a good clean out.. No difference.. I cleaned out the throttlebody hoping it wasn't sticking... No difference. I looked at the idle speed adjuster on the throttle body somewhere and it seems like someone had been fiddling with it before (because the head of the screw was broken).
So we took off the electronic connection on the solenoid on the ISC and lowered the RPM to just before it clonks out. Then connected the electronic connection back into the solenoid and it was all fixed. I can revv it as much as I like and it'll go straight back down to the proper idle speed without sticking at a high RPM, which would be causing burnt clutches and all sorts of dramas for me.

Has anyone came across this problem before, and could someone explain the theory of this?

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: falcon XD

VIC, Australia

thank god i found this ive been trying to fix that for ages, tryed cleaning out my idle speed controler, didnt work, tryed one from the wreckers no difference. bout to go try adjusting that screw...

One thing though ddi this fix the problem with the "shuddering" coming out of corners, you were talking about?

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

tail shaft unis?

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: Ef XR6, Ef Gli, Ninga ZX9R@!

NSW, Australia

I have that similar problem of shuddering. Its my p[inion end bearing in the diff play...f**k!

Blast from the past.....
1973 HQ 253 Premier sedan, 1991 EA 3.9lt 30 anniversary sedan
1978 XC 250 Falcon 500 sedan, 1988 EA 3.9lt Fairmont sedan
1994 EF 4lt Gli Wagon 1995 EF 4lt XR6 sedan (now gas~!)
1996 Ef Gli sedan, 1988 GPX 250r, 1999 ZX9R Ninja

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

TheAng wrote:
My above problem was caused by my EF's RPM was high.
What would happen was I would be driving, and when I put the clutch it to change gears the car would still be revving at around 2000 RPM, maybe even higher, and it won't drop to proper RPM untill load is on the engine.
I tested this out for a while longer. I stopped, put the car in neutral and revved it over 2000 RPM, and it would drop down to about 2000 RPM and stay like that for about a minute at least, before dropping down to about 850 RPM.

I was working on the problem today with some help of a couple of mates.

I took off the Idle Speed Controller today and gave it a good clean out.. No difference.. I cleaned out the throttlebody hoping it wasn't sticking... No difference. I looked at the idle speed adjuster on the throttle body somewhere and it seems like someone had been fiddling with it before (because the head of the screw was broken).
So we took off the electronic connection on the solenoid on the ISC and lowered the RPM to just before it clonks out. Then connected the electronic connection back into the solenoid and it was all fixed. I can revv it as much as I like and it'll go straight back down to the proper idle speed without sticking at a high RPM, which would be causing burnt clutches and all sorts of dramas for me.

Has anyone came across this problem before, and could someone explain the theory of this?

Had this in my previous EA. CFI 3spd. Was always trying to launch or pull away at the lights, no tach, but it felt more like 2500+.

Cleaned the ISC, connectors, the lot.. reset ECU.. fixed for about 20min, then back to haunt me.. never got it right, sold it like that too.

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Post subject: Re: Shudder when giving it a bit
Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:02 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

TheAng wrote:
Gday, just new to these ford forums as I have just recently converted to ford, with my new EF Gli 5 speed, from owning a Torana which was my true love untill it got written off sadly.

But I would like to ask some questions in regard to these wonderful peices of machinery.

1: why does it take a while for the revs to drop when you jab the accellerator in neutral. Something to do with computer controlled torque?

2: When I accellerate fast out of a corner in 2nd gear, the car shudders quite a bit... What could be the cause? Just a normal EF Manual thing or a mechanical problem, like my clutch is on the way out?

Cheers guys

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:06 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

AY MATE JUST HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WIF MY EF ITS THE DRIVE SHAFT RUBBING ON THE FLOOR IN THE DRIVRE TUNNEL.ITS EASY FIXEDGO AND BUY A GEARBOX MOUNT WITCH IS AT THE BCK OF THE GEAR BOX AND THAT WILL FIX UR PROBLEM.THEY DO COST BOUT $240 BUT GO 2 SUM WERE LIKE A AUTO STORE AND GET ONE U WILL HAVE 2 MOD THE BOLT HOLES THO IT TAKES BOUT 20 MINS 2 CHAGE

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]