Squeak/Squeal 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Squeak/Squeal
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

Hi everyone !
I need to ask for some help with what I can only describe as a persistant squeak/squeal that appears to be emanating from the rear driver's side wheel. It only starts after I have my car washed (hand car wash service).
To get rid of the squeak/squeal I remove the wheel and spray silicon lubricant on every spring and piece of rubber I can find. Then I run hot water over the disk and hub and most times after this the squeal/squeak disappears.
I had the car washed at a different to my normal car wash and the squeak/squeal has once again returned. There has to be a better way to permanently get rid of this noise.

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: '05 5.4L BA MK2 XT

NSW, Australia

Is the wheel missing its grease cap ??
No grease = squeeking :(

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

no grease cap on the rear.....

Banned

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA

QLD, Australia

unless you are washing every bit of dirt out from under the car i can't see how washing it would creat a squeak..

i've got under my car with the high pressure hose and never had a problem,,next time only wash the outside of the car and see what happens :P

NO ONE DIES A VIRGIN AS LIFE SCREWS US ALL

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Brake linings arent getting too low are they? Cant imagine why the noise would go away after doing that but. What sport of noise is it?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Esky

WA, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
Brake linings arent getting too low are they? Cant imagine why the noise would go away after doing that but. What sport of noise is it?

i would say that too, you brake pads must be low and is scraping on the rotors

Team EGO

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

could be a build up of brake dust on the hand brake pads. remove the rotors and use brake kleen or hose it out.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:52 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Thanks Guys :D
Brake pads are fine - they were replaced new along with rotors about six months ago to try and get rid of the squeak/squeal. As I mentioned this happens everytime the car is wash and has gotten worse with the current rain that we have been having to where the squeak/squeal is constant and becoming quite loud. If it were any sort of dust and or dirt surely the squeak/squeal would disappear when washed.
I just don't want to remove the wheel and have to clean everything everytime it is washed or gets wet. :oops:

UPDATE
Drove to work this morning in the pouring rain :roll: It was full on the wheel squeeled all the way to work - no matter what I did. The water must be getting in or on something - ideas gentlemen, if you please. Also since I am not much of an mechanically minded person who could possibly supply a diagram of where all the important rubber parts are in the rear suspension so I can put some grease or something on them

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Well people the car has been back to the mechanic and he adjusted the handbrake in the hope that the noise would go. It didn't make a difference. The noise is becoming quite annoying nothing seems to make it cease, hitting the brake pedal to the point the wheels lock, pumping the handbrake on and off nothing seems to eradicate this squeak/squeal. :x There HAS to be a fordmods member out there somewhere that can point me in the right direction - diagrams would be nice of areas to either clean or lubricate.

I used to love driving my Ford now I can't wait to get home in the evenings and leaving it in the garage - it really is giving me the sh*ts. Please, please help me !!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]