squeaky front 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: squeaky front
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

my 05 xr6 with 77k kms on the clock has been developing a front end squeaking sound lately, usually it comes after rain then goes away once everything drys up, however now its just not going away. when im traveling at low speeds and i turn a corner from standing, hit a bump in the road, in or out of a drive way or just sit their and turn the steering, i keep getting this annoying squeaking noise. the car also is lowered.
i jacked it up last week, got under their cleaned everything and then sprayed silicon spray on all the bushes, the squeaking was minimized but not cured.

I've narrowed it down to two possibility, the steering bushes are on their way out, or the shocks are on their way out. I'm thinking more the steering bushes then the shocks, as it squeaks when the car is still and only the steering is turned.
has any one else experienced this, if so how did you fix it. will i need to replace all the bushes?
and on a side note slightly off topic, Ive heard that replacing all the steering bushes to aftermarket nolathane ones gives the car an ultra s**t/harsh ride, is this true?

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Post subject: Re: squeaky front
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Squeek is probably from the lowered springs. Might need some spring tape.

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

87SIlude wrote:
Squeek is probably from the lowered springs. Might need some spring tape.

LOL! Fail!

OP, check everything is tensioned correctly! (Shocks, LCA's, Swaybar links, swaybar mounts etc)

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

winman wrote:
on a side note slightly off topic, Ive heard that replacing all the steering bushes to aftermarket nolathane ones gives the car an ultra s**t/harsh ride, is this true?

Hi, I've recently had front suspension bushes replaced with urethane ones (not nolothane brand) and all I can say is that they are a vast improvement on buggered rubber ones. As in they don't give a harsh ride at all in my opinion. Unless you haven't got any spring and you're riding on the bump stops lol.

Thanks,
Evan.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Lol. Who the f**k says fail becides 12 year old girls.
Happens often tho. Look into it.
But hell sometimes smothering the ends of the springs in mechoil stops the squeek.

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
Hi, I've recently had front suspension bushes replaced with urethane ones (not nolothane brand) and all I can say is that they are a vast improvement on buggered rubber ones. As in they don't give a harsh ride at all in my opinion. Unless you haven't got any spring and you're riding on the bump stops lol.

my car rests on the bump stops (rear), i don't believe their is any real weight on them but i know their touching. also did you do a full kit? if so where did you buy them then how much? i replaced the sway bar bushes a while ago and i can say their was a very noticeable difference when turning quickly, the car didn't roll as much.

as for springs causing the squeak, ive sprayed the resting rubbers top and bottom with silicon spray, so its very well coated. i originally thought the problem was this, but seeing as when the car is dead still, and the steering wheel is turned, it squeaks, this means it can't be springs as the movement would be minimal.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

From what I can see, it was the full set. I had my local mechanic do it. The parts were $203 ( Mackay rubber brand I think) plus $280 labour. This was for an EB though. I don't know much about B series suspension, so it probably will be different.

With these new bushes, there has been a marked improvement in turn in and there is more road 'feel'. As in you can sense the road surface more, not that it's a rough ride.

You can check out the mackay catalogue here:http://www.mackayrubber.com.au/DigitalCat/Aline/aline/index.html only goes up to BA.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

From my experience, the squeaking is probably the upper control arm bushes. I'm on my third set (Nolathane camber kit) and they have begun to squeak again. I think the bushes are specific to the camber kit and can't be substituted for another brand.

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
From my experience, the squeaking is probably the upper control arm bushes. I'm on my third set (Nolathane camber kit) and they have begun to squeak again. I think the bushes are specific to the camber kit and can't be substituted for another brand.

Mike

i happen to have a camber kit fitted (less then 2000kms) and i had the squeak before and after it.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

Sorry dude, I failed to notice that you had a BA- I was referring to my EF. Oops! :oops:

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford ba falcon ute xlse

SA, Australia

my ute squeaks and i have been told its the bushes on the sway bar just grease them with rubber grease or replace them with better ones, from what i hear its a common problem!

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yer i got told simillar thing, so i did the D bushes, upgraded them to nolathane ones. it still squeaked after this, but the handling improvement was highly noticeable so didnt really mind :lol:
the more i think about it the more i think its the rubber bushes where the steering arm pivots at the wheels.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BAII XR6T

NSW, Australia

sure its not the anti rattle shims on the brakes?

FOR SALE BAII XR6 TURBO

Build Thread StrawbZ AU XR6 & BAII XR6T

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
sure its not the anti rattle shims on the brakes?

i dont think so, because it squeaks when the car is stationary and only the steering is turned, at the moment im blaming the rubber bush where the steering arm attaches to the wheel hub part (not sure on exact name). so if i can be bothered tomorrow im going to jack the car up on stands and pull them off and clean them.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ok had round 2 today :lol: .
theirs 3 bushes that pivot when the steering is turned and when the car goes over bumps or around corners. I've pictured and labeled them.
keep in mind even tho these bushes look squashed and distorted this is only because the car is jacked up and the arms are fully extended, once the car is 4 on the floor the bushes will look normal.

the grease i used was castrol EPL2 (lithium based, extreme pressure) was told by autobarn it was the one to use.

Bush A
cleaned and applied more grease, did not remove as couldn't get the screw to drop out
Bush B
removed and cleaned, then added more grease to inner side (liquid filled), and greased the outside where it contacts metal.
Bush C
couldn't get to it as didn't have the tools or the time, simply sprayed the outside with non acid based silicon spray.

after doing this the stupid squeak is still their :x

Attachments:
bush c.jpg
bush c.jpg [ 51.63 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]
bush B.jpg
bush B.jpg [ 78.62 KiB | Viewed 326 times ]
bush A.jpg
bush A.jpg [ 54.39 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next