Fordmods Logo

Strut/Shock Failure 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Strut/Shock Failure
Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 97 EL Falcon V8 Ex Pursuit Car

WA, Australia

Hi there, just wondering whether anyone else has had a front strut/shock fail suddenly on an FG XR6T?

I bought my 2012 FG Falcon XR6 Turbo LE with ~18k on her and she's now done ~160k and the LH front strut has started clunking badly and pissing fluid everywhere :shock:

A week and a half ago all was good, no clunking/leaks etc and she was handling fine even though I go over some quite bumpy roads to and from work in the Perth hills then on the Friday morning I noticed a hollow metallic clunk/pop sound when going around RH curves :?

At first I thought something had come loose under the bonnet or in the bodywork as it sounded quite hollow but had a bit of a look around when I got home and couldn't see anything :roll:

Drove to work over the weekend and it progressively got worse clunking more and more and even started in a straight line yet still didn't seem to be handling too bad :?

Last Friday I took it down to the local suspension shop who has done work on the wife's Turbo Terra and did the rear shocks and bushings at the beginning of the year and he confirmed it was the LH strut and showed me pictures of leaking fluid :o

I have it booked in to get the struts replaced on Friday and have been using the wife's car as much as possible but was just curious as to whether anyone else has had their struts/shocks fail like that :?:

I've had shocks go bad before on 4WD's/cars & MC's but usually it's a gradual thing and the handling and ride goes away noticeably :roll:

First On Race Day

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]