Fordmods Logo

suspension and shift kit questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: suspension and shift kit questions
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford El xr6

VIC, Australia

Hi i have a El Xr6 im looking to lower the suspension by a bit so it looks nice but i also want it 2 handle well i dont want to feel every bump in the road and if possible enhance my handling performance.

I have been told by a few people about getting a shift kit on my xr but i have no clue what it does ??

Post subject: Re: suspension and shift kit questions
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

In my experience, you cant have both, you can have smoothe and comfy with s**t handling or great handling and pretty rock solid, I have the latter in my au xr6 and its well worth it.
Suspension can go up to thousands of dollars. Describe more what you want, and if you can install yourself. Cutting springs is the cheapest, its free, takes about an hour/corner (strut out, spring off, spring cut, strut back in) though not recommended by a lot of people, but Ive done it on previous cars and shock horror I didnt just burst into flames upon completion like some would have you believe. The best combo is King Springs (ultra lows) for around $200/pair, and some shortened shocks to keep it all together, maybe about the same but Im not certain. A camber kit and wheel alignment alignment (will be needed) will run about $450 aswell. Will firm up it up a bit and if you have the normal el 4wd like rear ride height will make it feel a lot more stable especially in the wet

Firms up the automatic shifts. Can be made for <$10 for an on/off or $30 for a fully adjustable with LED. The schematics/wiring diagrams are on here if you cant find them PM me I'll send you the EL one.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I wouldn't touch king springs again after my experiences with them. They must be wound softer than what they used to cause mine in the commodore sagged and lost their stiffness after not even 20,000kms.

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
I wouldn't touch king springs again after my experiences with them. They must be wound softer than what they used to cause mine in the commodore sagged and lost their stiffness after not even 20,000kms.

Yeah my brother has kingsprings in his eb and they are s**t, I wouldn't go any lower than superlow if you want some comfort.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

Oh really? I heard nothing but good things about them, theyre in my xr and I havent noticed any sag, but then they had been in the car for a while before I bought it.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]