Suspension Setup of EL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Suspension Setup of EL
Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:20 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 97 EL XR6

VIC, Australia

Good Afternoon Modders,

I have tried to do as much research as possible in regards to this but I seem to be getting mixed results.

I am looking at upgrading the suspension on my EL XR6.
At the moment I have Standard Sway bars, SL Kings all round with Monroe GT sport short shocks all round.

Based on research Whiteline upgrades are a very good choice and there seems to be no argument here.

Another part that seems to have no contest are Bilstien B6 Sport shocks. I have yet to see a very negative comment on these.

I guess my question/s revolve around peoples experiences and some more technical benefits about the various options that are available in regards to Springs, Dampers and Coil overs.

Options that I am currently looking at are:
1. Stay with my Kings SL and invest is Bilstien B6 Sports (if a higher SKU is available then I will choose that one)

2. Change to Lovells SL Variable rate with the Bilsiens

3. Coilovers... havent done too much digging on this one on the brand aspect.

The kind of ride I am looking for is somewhat good ride quality while driving around town. But, significantly less body roll, especially during spirited driving in the mountains/ may be later track.

What are your thoughts on this?

Look forward to some of the responses.

Cheers
Peter. P

Post subject: Re: Suspension Setup of EL
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:24 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I am looking at upgrading the suspension on my EL XR6.
At the moment I have Standard Sway bars, SL Kings all round with Monroe GT sport short shocks all round.

Based on research Whiteline upgrades are a very good choice and there seems to be no argument here.
White Line 30mm front and 24mm rear would be a good upgrade on the factory setup. Factory swaybars are the same across the range, XR's are fitted with the same swaybars as a GLi.

Another part that seems to have no contest are Bilstien B6 Sport shocks. I have yet to see a very negative comment on these.
Good upgrade but at around $1000 for the 4 corners, consider the return. Monroe GT are a good alround shock at a fair price (around $400 for all 4 corners). If you don't like Munroe, consider KYB or Gabriel.

I guess my question/s revolve around peoples experiences and some more technical benefits about the various options that are available in regards to Springs, Dampers and Coil overs.

Options that I am currently looking at are:
1. Stay with my Kings SL and invest is Bilstien B6 Sports (if a higher SKU is available then I will choose that one)
2. Change to Lovells SL Variable rate with the Bilsiens
Lovells would be a good upgrade over the King's.
3. Coilovers... havent done too much digging on this one on the brand aspect.
Coilovers will give you the option of height adjustment as well as adjusting the suspension to suit driving manner.

The kind of ride I am looking for is somewhat good ride quality while driving around town. But, significantly less body roll, especially during spirited driving in the mountains/ may be later track.
If you are looking at a good ride then SuperLows are not really an option, Lows will give you a better ride and with the other upgrades you will see a significant increase in handling, with the increased swaybar sizing you will also find a stiffening of the suspension. Also look at all your bushing, both front and rear. Look at the Whiteline upper and lower trailing arms as well as these will stiffen up the rear.

What are your thoughts on this?
I use Lovell superlows with with Whiteline Adjustable swaybars front and rear as well as Whiteline trailing arms and Watts Link. All bushings are Nothethane/Urethane. Driving Parramatta road and a few other Sydney roads is not a pleasant experience :? but loves the corners :D .

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:11 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey there SWC,

Thank you for the feedback..... this is the kind of info I was looking for.... now i just need some spare cash to get this done.

One question though... Do King Springs tend to sag after a while? It feels that my car has become more doughy and lower over the last 2 or 3 years, compared to when i first installed the springs and shocks

Cheers

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:38 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

All springs will "Sag" over time (even Factory springs), some quicker than others.

King Springs have a bit of a reputation for sagging but personally i think this is unjustified.

Alot depends on the type of use they are getting, country roads, rough roads, towing etc.

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:44 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Again, thanks for the reply.

I am doing some searching for part numbers and pricing for various options.
Are you able to tell me whether these part numbers are correct for the Lovells Springs? And, are they Variable rate?

Catalog says FFL-27SL and FRL-42XSL for Super Low front and Rear... but eBay and other sites give part numbers for Sport lows but state Super Lows on their descriptions.

Cheers

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

Compared to Kings, the way Lovells designates their springs can be a bit confusing at first.
Lovells class 'Sport Low' as being 25-40mm lower than standard, and 'Super Low' as being 45-65mm lower than standard.

But the "standard" height for an EL XR6 is already about 1" lower than the "standard" for say a Gli.

So a Lovells Super Low for a Gli is the same part as Sport Low for an XR6, etc.

EL XR6 Manual
Tickford Kit, 18" ANZ's, Kings SL/SSL & Sachs.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:24 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hi EBMontTom,

Thanks for that.... i just had a look at the catalogue and yes, it should have occurred to me earlier.

Makes sense now.

Cheers

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:23 am 
Stock as a Rock

Not a problem. Had me scratching my head at first too haha.
Usually people just go by the same way that King Springs name theirs (all based on standard height).

EL XR6 Manual

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

King Springs do the same thing in the "standard" catalogue.
EA-EL lists KFFL-26+ for "low"
ED-EL XR6 lists KFFL-26SL+ for "low"

However the Kings "superlow and ultralow" catalogue doesn't differentiate between standard Falcon and XR.

They look at it as steps down from factory delivered height.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Last edited by MAD on Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:48 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ahhh, I think Ive only ever looked at the Superlow/Ultralow catalogue which just lumps EB-EL 6cyl all in the same category.
Sounds like in their general catalogue, they go by the same designations as Lovells do (basing it on that models factory height).
Confusing much? haha

EL XR6 Manual

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:25 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Another option for shocks would be Koni. I have Koni yellow adjustable all round with king springs low. The shocks are great and I have adjusted it to stiffer than normal but not so stiff I can feel every bump and it is a comfortable ride around town. For some reasons the low springs I got seem lower than I expected even though they are "Low". Might change them to Lovells in the future to try something different. Nothing wrong with King Springs, but have heard good things about Lovells.

There is a cheaper version of Koni, Koni Reds, they are not adjustable but are stiffer than standard.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]