Fordmods Logo

T5 conversion EL 1st gear problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: T5 conversion EL 1st gear problem
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:49 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey guys got a T5 into my EL

Anyways, box is in the car but I can't get 1st gear when the car is stationary, it just won't go in, I've tried forcing it but the shifter mounts start to bend.

But if you take off in second and get the car moving, it goes into 1st with no problem?

Can get 2 - 5 and R with foot on the clutch stationary or car off no worries but not 1st unless car is moving then it goes in without struggle?

The car has an older clutch cable with it that came with the box, the box is out of an XG or an XH I believe.

Post subject: Re: T5 conversion EL 1st gear problem
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Have you got the clutch pedal adjusted properly (as per the repair manual)? If the clutch cable is stretched, that will contribute to the problem. I just put a new cable on my vehicle and had a similar problem. A few extra turns of the nut at the firewall fixed it.

From the Tremec manual, it could be the 1-2 sychronizer sleeve binding, low tranmission fluid or the wrong transmission fluid.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:14 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
Have you got the clutch pedal adjusted properly (as per the repair manual)? If the clutch cable is stretched, that will contribute to the problem. I just put a new cable on my vehicle and had a similar problem. A few extra turns of the nut at the firewall fixed it.

From the Tremec manual, it could be the 1-2 sychronizer sleeve binding, low tranmission fluid or the wrong transmission fluid.

I'll have to check, someone else did the conversion for me, its got fully synthetic ATF in there at the moment.

Can you quickly link me to the adjustment details? I'll check the adjustment tomorrow.

Thanks much for the quick reply.

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Damoo wrote:
Shortshift wrote:

I'll have to check, someone else did the conversion for me, its got fully synthetic ATF in there at the moment.

Can you quickly link me to the adjustment details? I'll check the adjustment tomorrow.

clutch pedal level with or a litttlee higher than the brake pedal, is fine.. if you cant get that.. cable is rooted..

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:19 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Falcon96XR6 wrote:
Damoo wrote:
Shortshift wrote:

clutch pedal level with or a litttlee higher than the brake pedal, is fine.. if you cant get that.. cable is rooted..

Its about that level even with the brake pedal at the moment, I'm also missing the spring underneath the clutch pedal, is that important?

I'll replace the clutch cable as I got a new one in the back of the car, apparently the guy reckons it didnt fit as it was "too long", so I'm assuming if I curve it a bit more on the gearbox end I'll be right?

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yes level with the brake pedal just sitting there, not pushed in,

spring- its not that inportant.. just holds tension on the cable by pulling the pedal back a little..

its best to have the cable as straight as possible.. otherwise it can saw thru the outter shell on the cable..

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

IIRC, clutch pedal should be 45mm from the floor when engaged. I just did mine by feel. If you can feel the clutch disengage, you're sweet.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

evxr6 wrote:
IIRC, clutch pedal should be 45mm from the floor when engaged. I just did mine by feel. If you can feel the clutch disengage, you're sweet.

book also says 130mm from the floor with the clutch pedal out

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:04 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks guys, its a hell of a lot different driving a car with a cable clutch compared to hydraulic, when I got back into my Focus I nearly punched the clutch pedal through the firewall lol.

With the adjustment, is it just the nut on the firewall that moves across the thread? Assuming I just tighten it up a bit?

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

lol, I did the same after I got into my dads patrol, hydraulic is soo light....

I prefer cable tho, more feeling IMO,

yes, the nut and the thread beside the brake booster on the firewall,
its actually a part of your clutch cable.. just do it up tighter until you have the pedal right. If you run out of thread the cable is stuffed and wont last long.. its fun driving with no clutch.......

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:15 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I might just replace it, got a new one in the back of the car, I'll take them both out and see if one is longer than the other, is it just a matter of undoing the nut all the way, unhooking it from the pedal in the car?

Or is it a huge PITA?

You're right about more feeling, the Falcon seems easier to drive than the Focus.

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yeah its as simple as that,

but can be a PITA tho coz gotta put car on car stands to get undernieth,

just gotta unclip it off the top of the pedal, and pull it out thru the fire wall,

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:12 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks mate, I'll get the cable out sometime soon, hopefully the new one I have will be ok.

If not I'll take the old one down to the store to get another the same length.

The one I got was for EL and the one that came with the box is XH, so go figure.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]