Fordmods Logo

T5 Input Shaft differences - I6 EA v's EL??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: T5 Input Shaft differences - I6 EA v's EL???
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Just wondering if any gearbox gurus can let me know if there are differences in the T5 input shaft between EA and EL falcon (inline 6). Specifically I want to know if it is possible to run an EA input shaft in an EL gearbox.

Now I understand that the gear ratio's are different. Does this mean the input shaft gear was different? Or was it done with a different countershaft? Or something else?

How about bearing compatibility?

Anything else?

Thanks in advance

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Post subject: Re: T5 Input Shaft differences - I6 EA v's EL???
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:51 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

both the same, they are interchangeable.

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:28 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Not quite:
snap0964 wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:
In regards to input shaft, that's a little weird. I should go count the teeth that are left on my spare 6cyl shaft just to see if it's 23t or what?
For the 6cyls, 23t is for EBII onwards, 22t is for XF/EA.The 6 cyl countergears have same teeth on all, except that front meshing gear with the input shaft.

Scaffy wrote:
Also, the difference between the bearings is that the Aussie T5s run a pocket bearing style (tapered) main shaft, while the Mustangs run a needle bearing style mainshaft.
snap0964 wrote:
As you know, the XF/EA I6 T5 mainshaft front ran needle rollers, and EBII on I6 T5 ran a tapered bearing - from memory (bit hazy here), I found the mainshafts themselves to be the same - the tapered bearing simply installed on the front. And of course the input shafts had different machinings at the rear for those bearings. The mainshaft gears were the same - synchros were revised throughout - straight brass (XF/EA), fibrelined brass later on, still interchangeable.
The ratio changes were achieved by the number of teeth on the input shaft, and it's mating gear on the countergear.
Otherwise, the countergears were the same too - you could fit the later reverse brake assy on the rear of the XF/EA countergear if you wanted to. The reverse brake synchro is the same as 5th gear synchro.
The reverse gear detent in the XF/EA is a long spring type assy, EBII on run a big spring clip type setup, which mounts on a dowel inside the case - look for a 'roofing nail' on the outside case near the reverse switch. This is absent on the XF/EA box, and I've noticed on some of the V8 boxes too.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

OK, thanks.

If I'm reading/understanding correctly, I can swap an EA input shaft into an EL box if I use the EA bearing assembly between the input & main shafts? It will have the EA gear ratios as a result of this.

Question 1. The countershaft front gear is the same OD for EA & EL

Question 2. The inpust shaft gear is the same OD for EA & EL?

Thanks again

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Not quite - Should fit, OD's of all are same, but countergears have that one tooth difference on the IP shaft meshing gear - so whether it meshes correctly I don't know.

The gear ratios between those boxes are achieved by the IP shaft meshing with the countergear, and that one tooth diff on the IP shaft and the countergear, so you won't have EA ratios unless you fit the matching countergear also.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks for sharing your knowledge snap, you certainly know your gearboxes.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

No probs - be interesting to see if the IP shaft can be a straight swap - I'll try that out in a few months myself.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]