Fordmods Logo

Tail Shaft Loop questions 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Tail Shaft Loop questions
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Anyone want to tell me about Tail Shaft Loops (as recomended when installing a shift kit)? How much? DIY job? How hard? How too do, etc.?

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:36 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Decent flat strap of steel bent into a loop around you tailshaft at the front securely bolted into floor with reinfocing to catch the front of your tailshaft if it lets Go in a big way and stop it digiing into the road and giving you like 200 G's deceleration.

Just a bit of steel really. Not hard. Not really necessary unless you like to live dangerously with a standard tailshaft. That is exceed the speed limit seriously or race on a track at 160k + The shift kit wouldn't require it really its just a disclaimer

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

jonbays wrote:
Decent flat strap of steel bent into a loop around you tailshaft at the front securely bolted into floor with reinfocing to catch the front of your tailshaft if it lets Go in a big way and stop it digiing into the road and giving you like 200 G's deceleration.

Just a bit of steel really. Not hard. Not really necessary unless you like to live dangerously with a standard tailshaft. That is exceed the speed limit seriously or race on a track at 160k + The shift kit wouldn't require it really its just a disclaimer

Its always a precaution but. You dont exactly want to learn how to pole vault the hard way. I think XR8chic put one on her car. From memory i think her tailshaft may have come off on the dyno.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

It certainly is good advice to put a tailshaft loop in on any vehicle with a single piece tailshaft. Next time you're under your car, visualise the tailshaft breaking at the unijoint next to the gearbox even when you're only doing 60-ish km/h and hitting a pothole.... I love the pole-vaulting description, its so accurate :)

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:22 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XD wagon V8, Suzuki SV650S

ACT, Australia

GET ONE!!! i droped my tailshart last night! only thing stoping me pole voulting was it fell on top of my exhust, iv got one but keep putting it off, its defanitly going on now!!

Why lord why? Why does every d**k head in a datsun wanna race me??? don't they know i don't like hurting there feelings??

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

So you only need it at the front near the gearbox? That's the place that there known to break at?

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
So you only need it at the front near the gearbox? That's the place that there known to break at?

Not neccisarily, but look at what happens dpending on where it lets go.

Near gear box: tailshaft now hinged at rear axle. Will fall down and front of shaft will (possibly) dig into the road - hence the pole vault.

Near rear axle: tailshaft now hinged near gearbox. Rear of shaft will drag along the ground.

So yeah, only really needed at the front. I think falcon floor pan not too strong so they recommend some reinforcement.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

So basically you install them yourself? Just bolt it into the floor and preferably reinforce it.
Do Repco/Autobarn type places sell them or do you have to make them or have them made yourself?

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Hmmm I think I might make one. Pole Vaulting your car doesn't sound fun.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6 5spd

surely the rear uni joint would fail before there would be much pole vaulting taking place? or maybe not

**visions of tail shaft being rammed though gas tank**

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

Not neccisarily, but look at what happens dpending on where it lets go.

Near gear box: tailshaft now hinged at rear axle. Will fall down and front of shaft will (possibly) dig into the road - hence the pole vault.

Near rear axle: tailshaft now hinged near gearbox. Rear of shaft will drag along the ground.

So yeah, only really needed at the front. I think falcon floor pan not too strong so they recommend some reinforcement.

If it breaks at the diff end, it will slide out of the gearbox and most likely not do much damage although I could foresee the tailshaft slide out of the gearbox, rear of the shaft hit the ground, bounce, go up into the fuel tank, front of the tailshaft hit the ground, pole vault :)

Sorry i'm just making stuff up, theoretically it could happen but realistically probably not.

What I'd be quite concerned about too would be if the tailshaft breaks, the vehicle's motion would keep it spinning, if it doesn't pole vault you, it will go left or right, immediately you'd get a pair of locked rear wheels giving you some braking but not much control over the car.

A loop is a good idea... i'm going to make one up soon...

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
So basically you install them yourself? Just bolt it into the floor and preferably reinforce it.
Do Repco/Autobarn type places sell them or do you have to make them or have them made yourself?

i would buy one if i were you! not sure on exact prices but i cant see them biegn more than $100.
as for install u need to take the tail shaft out then install the loop and put the shaft back in.
the falcon floor pan may not be super strong but i cant see the need for reinforcing as all the loop has to do is hold the weight of the drive shaft

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

But the driveshaft will be bashing around it rather fast and angrily....

5x20mm steel would be all thats needed in my books but I'm no expert so if they need to be stronger then please correct me...

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: GT MKII

QLD, Australia

When mine failed at the rear uni at 160k ( mazda top speed ), it made the biggest bang you can imagine putting quite a hole in the floorpan and a nasty stain in my pants. I rolled to a stop, waited for my heartrate to drop back below 200, and ran back down the road and found it. It was remarkably undamaged. A front uni would be very, very, very nasty. I'm investigating a loop.

The older I get the better I was.

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
[Near rear axle: tailshaft now hinged near gearbox. Rear of shaft will drag along the ground.

seen it happen on a 8T truck, the damage included a f**k tailshaft, f**k centre bearing, both fuel tanks were holed, and so was one of the toolboxes...... couple of nasty gouges in the road too

Banned

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next