Fordmods Logo

Territory SY2 steering/suspension problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Territory SY2 steering/suspension problem
Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:13 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Territory SY MKII

QLD, Australia

I recently purchased a SY MKII TERRITORY RWD with 150000km and full service history.
Car was fully serviced and brakes redone just before I bought it.
I had a mechanic look it over and he said it was mechanically perfect as far as he could tell.
Took it to get a roadworthy myself and once up on the hoist the only thing we could find was a minor leak coming from the steering rack. Tightened up the loose power steering line and it seemed to solve the issue.

Had to drive the car home (5 hour trip) but after around 100-200km it started making a noise only when turning right and when going over 90km/h. Noise was coming from the front passenger side wheel like the tyre was rubbing. Checked it several times and couldn't find any signs of the tyre rubbing or other issues. By the time I got home it was happening when going over 80km/h but at 100+km/h it would start to get less noticeable.

Had the car checked again a few times to diagnose it and noone can find any faults.

Since then it has progressively gotten worse and will make the scrubbing noise if I am going straight or turn to the right and going 60km/h or faster but again seems to lessen once going over 100km/h. Acceleration and braking seem to make no difference.

I thought the DSC may have been playing up so I have tried turning it off a few times and test driving it but it doesn't seem to make any difference. The bloke that did the brakes before I bought the car obviously did abit of a rush/dodge job. Apparently new rotors and pads were fitted. Obviously has new pads but the brake reservoir was full to the brim with fluid and spilt though the engine bay. I will be replacing the front rotors with slotted rotors and bleeding them all again myself so I know it's been done properly but fairly sure the brakes aren't the cause.

I thought it could have been a wheel bearing or CV joint since it was only happening when turning right but being a RWD there are no CV joints. I jacked up the car the other day, the wheel has absolutely no play in it up and down at all and the only play side to side is when both front tyres are turning. Spinning the wheels the bearings seem fine, no noise or vibration at all and wheels spin easily. I couldn't feel any vibration when holding onto the spring. Brake pads were barely rubbing on both front wheels when I did this however. Didn't have a pry bar on hand to test the suspension components but on visual inspection all the ball joints, control arm bushes, etc all looked great. The sway bar mount bushes looked good but I could see a 1mm gap on the passenger side one so I have gotten some super pro bushes to replace. The passenger side tie rod end is starting to show signs of wear but still looks fully operational, I would guess the wear is symptomatic rather then the cause.

I am starting to think it may be the steering rack or passenger side inner tie rod but I am far from experienced when it comes to steering components and can't seem to find a professional who can diagnose the issue. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated as I need to get this fixed being an obvious safety issue. Thanks in advance.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]