Fordmods Logo

Transmission, loosing speed 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Transmission, loosing speed
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: falcon ed svo

VIC, Australia

Hi guys! Recently I've got a problem with transmission. 5 000 km ago i had to replace engine in my ED falcon. It had 280 000 km on the clock.
Now i've got EF engine block with my manifolds, and apart from a few modification like thermo fans, EF airbox in ED with K&N high flow and 2.5 inch exhaust everything is standard.
But my headache started recently with transmission.
Before when everything was right with tranny I could do 8.3 sec 0-100 k/h which is not bad considering factory setup is 9.4. Now it take more then 10 sec. Engine works fine but when i plant the foot down, revs go much higher then before, and car seems to accelerate very slowly.
Situation is catastrophe if I put it into "power mode". Then it holds first gear all the way up as it is supposed to, but rev needle is in red (5-6 000 revs) and speed is around 60 km/h (before when tacho needle reaches red line gear is shifted in second and speed is 80 km/h).
Engine is perfect doesn't use any oil, and is really responsive, so it is transmission. I suspect it might be torque converter. What do you guys think. Also what do you think about the cost of repair.

This registration could be more simple mate, just a friendly sugestion!

Post subject: Re: Transmission, loosing speed
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

zoki wrote:
Hi guys! Recently I've got a problem with transmission. 5 000 km ago i had to replace engine in my ED falcon. It had 280 000 km on the clock.
Now i've got EF engine block with my manifolds, and apart from a few modification like thermo fans, EF airbox in ED with K&N high flow and 2.5 inch exhaust everything is standard.
But my headache started recently with transmission.
Before when everything was right with tranny I could do 8.3 sec 0-100 k/h which is not bad considering factory setup is 9.4. Now it take more then 10 sec. Engine works fine but when i plant the foot down, revs go much higher then before, and car seems to accelerate very slowly.
Situation is catastrophe if I put it into "power mode". Then it holds first gear all the way up as it is supposed to, but rev needle is in red (5-6 000 revs) and speed is around 60 km/h (before when tacho needle reaches red line gear is shifted in second and speed is 80 km/h).
Engine is perfect doesn't use any oil, and is really responsive, so it is transmission. I suspect it might be torque converter. What do you guys think. Also what do you think about the cost of repair.
Did you refill the gearbox after the engine change, sounds like she is low on fluid or the bands are slipping. Start with the fluid check, then it looks like a closer inspection at a repair place is in order.
Cheers
TW

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

could be as simple as servicing the transmission, especially if it's been running low on fluid for a while.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:23 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: falcon ed svo

VIC, Australia

I wish it is transmission fluid! The fluid is not low at all, actually it is above "add" mark.
I can only pray it is not something serious, cause i'm still recovering from $1300 that was paid in cash for this second hand EF engine and new radiator that was installed...
I'm really happy with this engine. We all know the secret for good economy and responsive engine. It is all about bringing cold air into a throttle body in large volume. I wass thinking for a long time how to improve crappy ED airbox, so i just chucked in EF airbix (it is bigger nearly 1/3 then ED), fitted K&N high flow air filter and played with 3'' pipes to bring the cold air in.
I couldn't believe the difference in responce with a new setup.
Factory air intake is very restrictive, especially On EA-ED models.
With a few simple modification you can make an obvious difference in performance and economy.
Well, i guess i'll have to pay this difference on transmission which apparently struggles to cope with extra power and torque...

This registration could be more simple mate, just a friendly sugestion!

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

NSW, Australia

The gearbox isn't overfull is it? I've read that overfilling the gearbox with fluid can have the same results as it running low on fluid (erratic operations and band slipping). meh could be wrong. :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]