Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: transmission vibration
Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

joolz wrote:
First you have to see if its speed or rev related. This will determine engine or driveline. If in neutral and it vibrates at 2500rpm it may be the harmonic balancer or something else from there back out of balance. If it vibrates at certain speeds its driveline imbalance. If it vibrates constantly over 80km/h its universal joints. Now looking at your pic you do have a leak from the extension housing seal. The slip yoke welsh plug is fine as its dry around the UJ. I would firstly replace the bush and the extension housing seal and while the driveshaft is out check the UJ's for wear. They should move freely with no torsional play. Its more than likely that the extension housing bush is worn allowing the driveshaft to spin of centre causing imbalance and therefore vibration.

My vibration happens when the car hits around 70kmh and gets droney up to 95kmh (Automatic) while cruising at 1850RPM. I thought it might have been a noisy torque converter, but if you guys are saying it doesn't kick in until 2500RPM, then it can't be that then hey?

Also my vibration gets a lot worse, when I'm doing 70KMH going up a hill, so under load. It feels like when your driving a manual, and your 1 gear too high, going too slow.

Also, when I'm going downhill, and I release the accelerator pedal, I can hear a faint knocking somewhere from the gearbox, as if something is unbalanced when spinning around. Again I thought a noisy torque converter.

What does the above suggest guys, any ideas. My cars fully stock with normal suspension, 96 Fairmont.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

*bump*

Still trying to get an idea on my question as I'm taking to an auto guy tomorrow to get an opinion and quote.

Cheers.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Kit wrote:
joolz wrote:
First you have to see if its speed or rev related. This will determine engine or driveline. If in neutral and it vibrates at 2500rpm it may be the harmonic balancer or something else from there back out of balance. If it vibrates at certain speeds its driveline imbalance. If it vibrates constantly over 80km/h its universal joints. Now looking at your pic you do have a leak from the extension housing seal. The slip yoke welsh plug is fine as its dry around the UJ. I would firstly replace the bush and the extension housing seal and while the driveshaft is out check the UJ's for wear. They should move freely with no torsional play. Its more than likely that the extension housing bush is worn allowing the driveshaft to spin of centre causing imbalance and therefore vibration.

My vibration happens when the car hits around 70kmh and gets droney up to 95kmh (Automatic) while cruising at 1850RPM. I thought it might have been a noisy torque converter, but if you guys are saying it doesn't kick in until 2500RPM, then it can't be that then hey?

Also my vibration gets a lot worse, when I'm doing 70KMH going up a hill, so under load. It feels like when your driving a manual, and your 1 gear too high, going too slow.

Also, when I'm going downhill, and I release the accelerator pedal, I can hear a faint knocking somewhere from the gearbox, as if something is unbalanced when spinning around. Again I thought a noisy torque converter.

What does the above suggest guys, any ideas. My cars fully stock with normal suspension, 96 Fairmont.

What is the condition of the slip yoke bush????

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Not sure?

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Just had a thought/memmory thingy.......the band pistons seals....they go hard and don't seal properly.....made need replacing????? This will be only a band-aid fix, as the rest of the seals in the box go hard too.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2