Fordmods Logo

Tremec / Borg Warner T5 rollers / bearing issue... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Tremec / Borg Warner T5 rollers / bearing issue...
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Thanks to everyone for their help to date. Am learning heaps off you lot. Seriously cool. Couldn't be doing any of this without you all.

I now have a simple question. Am getting ready to put the input shaft back into the T5 and noticed a couple of the rollers are knackered. No one seems to sell rollers to suit - most places don't supply rollers singularly at all any more.

The 15 rollers are part labeled "66A" on the drawing.Image

The part labeled "66B" is a roller bearing including cage that I presume could be fitted instead of the rollers (maybe by removing the spacer located behind the original "66A")?

Has anyone got a part number for this bearing that will mean I can walk into a bearing shop and buy one?! I, obviously, cannot get the part number from mine, as mine used 15 rollers...!..

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

There's 2 types of boxes, World Class and Non-World Class

The Non-WC boxes used 15 rollers with no cage.
The WC box came as a Cup/Cone setup. ie: your drawing.

If your Box has this Pin on the LHS, its a WC box, Without its a Non WC (ie XF-EB box)

Attachments:
gearbox side.JPG
gearbox side.JPG [ 33.81 KiB | Viewed 3038 times ]

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

It would be non world class, at a simple guess. On the drawing supplied, above, the parts are at the bottom left (obviously). I am trying to work out if I could simply throw away the 15 rollers and the spacer (labeled "67") to replace with the caged bearing.

Are you, Krytox kind sir, preparing me for the news that the parts are not interchangeable and thus I will have to find 15 rollers someplace?

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Flick me a PM with your Email details and I will send you a rebuild guide that has detail on moding the roller bearings to the newer taper design.

Give this guy (Kevin) a go, his in the states. I got some gears from him last year that were a quarter of the price I could get in Aus.
www.thegearbox.org

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The 15 rollers are a pretty close tolerance fit on there own, I'm doubting a cage will fit with them.
Might be best to get another set of 15 from the guy Tony recommends above.
I've found to fit the later tapered bearing, the input shaft back would need to be machined to suit.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

The 15 rollers have a SPACER behind them. By removing the spacer you there should be enough room for the caged bearing. The parts are listed as 66a and 67 in drawing. By throwing both of those away you may be able to put in a 66B (caged bearing).

Ah well. Worth a thought anyways. Would have been nice.

http://www.thegearbox.org page relevant to this is http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/item/ ... 532037.htm

Don't think Kevin from thegarbox would split the thing up, but will email him and check.

Also contacted MAL WOOD (who can do a replacement front input bearing retainer for $100AU -approximately a hundred million NZ) regarding this issue as he is the Tremec dude from hell according to all sources. "Would like a couple of shims for the front bearing cup and those damn annoying 15 rollers please..... Am going to try fixing the input bearing retainer shaft myself, and if it fails come crying back to you for another, Cheers Mal.... ;) "

Back to you Snappage old mate... Is the newer (world class, 66B caged bearing) a TAPER?!!??!
Damn - that would definately mean it would not fit and would mean machining the input shaft... Which would mean simply buying 15 rollers. I only actually need 10 at a pinch. Hell since five or six are really crap - give me 5 or 6 new ones and I'll live with 4 or five slightly dodgy ones and five okayish ones..!

HAVE TO DO SOMETHING about the AIRBAG light being constantly on (fuse is fine, BTW) since it came back from panel beaters with no locking on left hand side... Arrrg, I hate ANYONE who does work on my car other than me and my mates whom own the pit. Other than us three I've found NO ONE, not ONE single person, EVER who has ever done what they say they will for the price they say they will. Wankers, the whole lot of them. Mechanics, beaters, painters. The whole lot. Cut corners, don't do s**t properly, lazy asses. Still don't see why I should spend all bloody day fixing something that they've charged the insurance companies top dollar for.

And that, is the mornings complaining out the way. Will keep remaining complaints to the Futurlane blog.

BANG

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:26 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
The 15 rollers have a SPACER behind them. By removing the spacer you there should be enough room for the caged bearing.
Nah, I'm talking between the rollers, not much room at all.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Never mind Snappage old mate. I think this drawing from document supplied by Twason sums it up. Is too damn complicated for me at present. Although it seems like a bloody good modification to make in future, I am off to find those 15 rollers!

If you look carefully you can see a few issues! Image

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

No one (and boy do I mean NO ONE) in NZ has the 15 rollers required. Sad.

They are about 0.22 inch = 5.588 millimeter fat, which in itself means they have not been stocked for a long while.

Looks like a call to Kevin at thegearbox.net is in order...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]