Fordmods Logo

Tyres DO make a difference! 

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: Tyres DO make a difference!
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Well the Pirelli's lasted nearly three yrs couldn't have been too soft! hey I'm not saying the Mayruns are any good just saying my steering has improved since as for wear I'll let you know in a year or two?

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XD Fairmont Ghia 351

NSW, Australia

I just picked up some ne BFG T/A's. Dont know how they are gunna go, but hey it suits the XD very nice!! :mrgreen:

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:23 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

fairlane6970 wrote:
Well the Pirelli's lasted nearly three yrs couldn't have been too soft! hey I'm not saying the Mayruns are any good just saying my steering has improved since as for wear I'll let you know in a year or two?

three years!

f**k I can only dream of longevity like that.

None of my cars have had life like that. 3 months for a set is closer to the reality for me.

I guess it's more important to get a good set when you have to put up with them for so long.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BFG TA's -We used to call them slip'n'slides, notoriously poor in the wet back then, had a mate in a 253 SS toyrana do a 360 going through Woronora bends (very tight/slow bends and steep)

Hey I got the Pirellis and new rims for free sold the rims for $650 - me no complain!

XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
phongus wrote:
fairlane6970 wrote:
Hey guys might be opening a can 'o' worms here, but I've had a real bad problem with the NF following every little rut in the road, not just a bit but even passengers have commented!
Have been to many suspension places and had no luck - at least they didn't hit me up for camber kits or other gear, but last week I had to change tyres and now the Lane is Gold - steering is fantastic - ruts what ruts? shows you the difference between a set of cheap asian tyres and an expensive set of 245/40/18's Pirelli Rosso's. But the problem was the Pirelli's now I have a set of Mayrun 235/40/18's wtf! as Pauline Hanson said - "please explain" from $1300 a set tyres to $360 a set and the car is like new!

Pirelli Rosso's were probably harder compound. Never heard of Mayrun, but they are probably soft and may wear out sooner. Softer will sometimes run much more smoothly compared to the harder compound...obviously. In saying that, deflating harder compound 1 or 2 PSI makes a bit of a difference.

actually. other way around. the Pirelli's would've been softer, making them actually grip and follow the road. these cheap crap Mayruns, s**t they'd be a good tyre. hard as s**t, last ages but try take a corner quick and you'll end up going straight

I guess it can go both ways. I have had cheaper tyres with the rims I bought and they only lasted about a year and a bit and didn't have much grip as I liked. I changed them to Dunlop SP3000 (Ford standard for 17" I believe) and they definitely have better grip and the tyres haven't worn out much either after 1.5 years of travel...approximately 25000km a year.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:35 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i only get 18 months out of a set of front and 9-12 months out of rear tyres.

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
i only get 18 months out of a set of front and 9-12 months out of rear tyres.

I have had tyres on for 2.5 years on the EA...never had a tyre for less than a year due to wear :?...I am a granny driver though.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

I've had lots of success with retreads from Cluse brothers (Adelaide) - they last around 2 years and handling/grip/ noisewise they are excellent - absolutely no tramlining at all. About a year or so ago I went `high dollar', thought do the right thing, and put new Goodyears on the XB - I went for a drive after they were fitted and thought WTF is wrong with my car? Could barely keep it on the road, tramlining like a mofo , it was sooo bad I put the std steering wheel back on cos there wasn't enough leverage with the sports wheel to control it... 2 wheel aligns later, still crap, 2nd wheel align guy was scratching his head, tried heaps of different settings, couldn't get it...after a while putting up with this I thought stuff it, went back to Cluses and put 4 retreads on it - perfecto - absolutely wonderful, no tramlining etc. Best bit is 4 of them fitted are around $210...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ah another cheapskate after me own heart! :lol: :lol:

XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

fairlane6970 wrote:
Ah another cheapskate after me own heart! :lol: :lol:

Cheap is good! (works with women too)

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

it depends on weight of the car and if the tyres get rotated often and the wheel alignments up to scratch and tyre pressures frequently checked
At my work (Holden dealership) if a set of soft Bridgestone Potenza's in 245/45R18 are rotated every service and a wheel alignment done every service they'll last 45,000kms or 3 years. also the customer has to check the tyre pressures.
But in saying that it doesn't happen often, people just don't check there pressures anymore and believe you only need a wheel alignment when the tyres are fitted.
But you get the occasional older guy who does things the way they used to be and yeah 45,000kms they'll last. But when they come in for that 45,000kms make they are dead on wear bars.

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
it depends on weight of the car and if the tyres get rotated often and the wheel alignments up to scratch and tyre pressures frequently checked
At my work (Holden dealership) if a set of soft Bridgestone Potenza's in 245/45R18 are rotated every service and a wheel alignment done every service they'll last 45,000kms or 3 years. also the customer has to check the tyre pressures.
But in saying that it doesn't happen often, people just don't check there pressures anymore and believe you only need a wheel alignment when the tyres are fitted.
But you get the occasional older guy who does things the way they used to be and yeah 45,000kms they'll last. But when they come in for that 45,000kms make they are dead on wear bars.

Yep. I got around 40000 out of potenzas on my old car and I give them a workout on occasion. Great tyre, but expensive. Unfortunately 40000 is only around a year or just over for me though :(

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:50 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

WILDEB wrote:

Depends on other stuff too.

I get alignments frequently (because I get a change to a circuit spec before I go to a track day, then back to a more street friendly setting after), tyre pressures also get checked and changed frequently.

Still a car with ~300rwkw and driven likes it's stolen all the time wears through the tyres quick.

Not that I'm complaining, I didn't buy and modify a GT-P to complain about tyre and fuel costs. I bought it to have fun.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XD Fairmont Ghia 351

NSW, Australia

Yeah, The old BFG pattern / compound was pretty crook.
I had the newer pattern on my camaro a few years back & they were a top tyre.
The old ghia dosnt get pushed silly, so will see how we go

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3