Tyres question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Tyres question
Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2005 BF XR6

NSW, Australia

I wasn't really sure where to put this.

How much do the tyres you are running affect handling and ride? Is there really a big difference between a $200 tyre and one which costs $350?

I'm asking because i'll probably need to buy a new set before I get the pinkslip done and I really dont want to fork out over a grand for 4 new tyres.

I'm running the stock 17" BFXR6 wheels so if anyone has any recommendations about good tyres that can be got for $200-$250 each i'd appreciate a heads up.

Post subject: Re: Tyres question
Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:09 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

Fedral SS595's are a excelent quality tyre and they are only about $160 each (that is assuming we are talking 235 x 45 r17). They have done write ups comparing these to top goodyears, bridgestones etc and the Fedral smashed them in the dry but some of the others out performed the fedral in the wet.

If you are feeling like spending some money get RS595's they are unbelievable!!!!!!!!!! about $350 each. I have run both of these and the SS595's are a really good street tyre but the RS595's are a street cut slicks they have a thicker and stiffer sidwall and are a REALLY SOFT compound. They are great the SS595's used to break traction at he drags even running 17psi, but the RS595'5 hook up and go they actually behave like big slicks and jump the car out of the hole instead of squatting the asse end. You can also hook into turns heaps harder because the side walls don't roll as much and they grip so much better and they do actually grip better when they warm up you can notice it. Most suprissing of all is that they are better than the SS595's in the wet, i would have put my money on them being worse.

The only problem with getting these tyres is when you walk into your local tyre shop and ask for RS595's they give you the dead sheep on the side of the road look and say "they arn't on my distrubutors stock list". So tell them to ring the destributor they are not a commonly sold tyre you will need to ring for the price and availability, they are technically a race tyre.

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:31 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

For the extra $35 over the Federal 595 EVO ($180 compared to the $215 Maxxis) I'd go and get the Maxxis Victra i-Pro. Motor's latest Performance tyre tests rated them the best budget performance tyres over the Federal's in 215/45/R17 Guise.

For the original question about noticing the difference between the cheaper tyres and the more expensive tyres, yes there is a huge difference most of the time i try and steer clear of the cheaper tyres if i can avoid it as there is noticeable differences when buying tyres like the Adrenalin RE001's etc...

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

One of the things with cheaper tyres is when your balancing them, you notice they require more weight/s to get them right, and with quality tyres, they require less.
Example, a quality Bridgey might only need 15g each side to be right, but a cheap Cheng Shin, might need 60g to be right. Retreads are worse than that.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

general rule applies here: you get what you pay for.

i'm running firestones on my ea, (235x45x17 all round) have run falken ziexs and some cheapish maxiss tyres and i'd rate the firestones as the best tyres the car ever had, the falkens were good for dry weather grip but a bit sketchy in the wet and tyre wear was an issue. the maxis tyres were shyte in my opinion, soft sidewalls imitates bodyroll like a stock ea on 65 series and had terrible 'screech' when traction was broken, enough to turn you off doing burnouts though i guess.

usually a few determining factors, such as sidewall strength (roll), tread pattern (water dispersion), and compound, compound is linear, if you want good handling you need softer compound but the softer you go the quicker they wear out, the harder they are the less grip you achieve but gain longivity.

i used to think shoes were shoes untill i reached down a bit furthur into my pocket and since would never go back, one of the best investments in handling and safety you can make.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

xr6eat 50 wrote:
Most suprissing of all is that they are better than the SS595's in the wet, i would have put my money on them being worse.

Softer compounds also grip better in the wet. High miler tyres are horrible in the wet.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:24 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
general rule applies here: you get what you pay for.

i'm running firestones on my ea, (235x45x17 all round) have run falken ziexs and some cheapish maxiss tyres and i'd rate the firestones as the best tyres the car ever had, the falkens were good for dry weather grip but a bit sketchy in the wet and tyre wear was an issue. the maxis tyres were shyte in my opinion, soft sidewalls imitates bodyroll like a stock ea on 65 series and had terrible 'screech' when traction was broken, enough to turn you off doing burnouts though i guess.

You need to specify tyre models (not just brands).

For example, I run the Maxxis MA-Z1 they are a performance tyre. And on the GT-P I can keep up with other FPV's running semi-slicks around Oran Park. They really are a good tyre.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:47 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
xr6eat 50 wrote:
Most suprissing of all is that they are better than the SS595's in the wet, i would have put my money on them being worse.

Softer compounds also grip better in the wet. High miler tyres are horrible in the wet.

That is stating the obvious, but when a tyre has less than half the grooves cut into it to dispurse water i still am suprised they work better. They are not the identical tyre in different compounds after all!

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I didn't mean to understate the other differences, just that compound means a lot in wet as well as dry conditions.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:42 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU VCT,68 LANE,84 COURIER,

QLD, Australia

i got federal 595 evos motorsport they were only $260 each for 245-35-20 i love federals had them on all my cars... got nankangs on the front at the moment steer clear there crap! but cheap... havent really had anything else so can only advise federal... i think maybe you dont all ways get what you pay for ,some of the big name brands get away with making some poo tyres

YOU CAN LIVE IN A CAR BUT YOU CANT DRIVE A HOUSE

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]