Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Re: USA T5 questions
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Nah, the input shafts on the US T5s are different lengths and they use different bearing type between input and main shafts.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I think one's a needle type and the other is roller. I'm having a bit of a brain f@rt and think my terminology is off...

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

You need the 94/95 Mustang T5 Ash, It has the correct the input shaft. That is the shaft I had to use when I rebuilt my box.

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The '94/'95 input shaft is longer than the Aussie one. I've been made to believe this isn't ideal.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

Scaffy wrote:
The '94/'95 input shaft is longer than the Aussie one. I've been made to believe this isn't ideal.

They are the same length, I compared both when I rebuilt my box. My input shaft had the same part number as the replacement.

Ash, tell your mate to talk to John Cerini from "Cerini motorsports". He is who I ordered all my replacement parts from and he has been building T5's since the dawn of time. He is also on eBay.

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Not really relevant but interesting..

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/631.shtml

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ash you can use a 6 cylinder T5 with some slight modifications on a top loader/single rail bellhousing.
My brother did it with his XD. If your mate uses the standard top loader bellhouing , machines approx 4mm off the outer ring of the input shaft retainer and drills and taps a couple of holes it will all bolt up and work.
The standard hydraulic clutch and everything can be used. Its pretty much a straight bolt up once the simple mods are done. Spigit bush , tailshaft and cross member is basically the same.
Very easily done on the old cars. Its only us with the E series cars that get shafted.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

XFWAGON wrote:
Scaffy wrote:

They are the same length, I compared both when I rebuilt my box. My input shaft had the same part number as the replacement.

Ash, tell your mate to talk to John Cerini from "Cerini motorsports". He is who I ordered all my replacement parts from and he has been building T5's since the dawn of time. He is also on eBay.

The Aussie shafts are 1/4" shorter than the '94/'95 as you'll be able to see in the following pic. From the top, we have a stock T5 input shaft, next is Falcon v8 Astro A5 input shaft, then '94/'95 Mustang A5 input and finally '85-'93 Mustang A5 input shaft.
Aussie input on left and '94/'95 input on the right.

Also, the difference between the bearings is that the Aussie T5s run a pocket bearing style (tapered) main shaft, while the Mustangs run a needle bearing style mainshaft.

I hope this has cleared up my previous posts...

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Ash wrote:
They are all massively different in the picture.

And the tapered bearing would be the pick of the lot too yeah, strength wise?

So that to clear it up, would make the bellhousing from the link in the first post, 1/4" deeper therefore not suited the Aussie V8 T5. Unless you changed the input shaft to a US shaft.

f**k Ford like to make it difficult! :roll: :lol:

Yes, yes they do!

In saying that, though, I know of guys who've just thrown a 6cyl T5 onto a V8 bellhousing and it runs. I think there's half an inch difference between the 2...

I woudn't say the taper bearing is stronger, as I'm sure if it were, Astro would use them in their kits.

The lack of interchangability is a massive pain in the a***. You'd think they'd just pump out T5s at one place for the Fords and use them worldwide. But no, that would be too easy...

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Sorry, when I was saying yes they do, I was referring to you saying f**k ford like to make it difficult.

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

So, if you were to get an Aussie v8 t5 with the bellhousing off say an e-series, you'd be laughing, right? Surely if you keep your eye out, you should be able to find something without too much trouble?

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Scaffy wrote:
Also, the difference between the bearings is that the Aussie T5s run a pocket bearing style (tapered) main shaft, while the Mustangs run a needle bearing style mainshaft.
As you know, the XF/EA I6 T5 mainshaft front ran needle rollers, and EBII on I6 T5 ran a tapered bearing - from memory (bit hazy here), I found the mainshafts themselves to be the same - the tapered bearing simply installed on the front. And of course the input shafts had different machinings at the rear for those bearings. The mainshaft gears were the same - synchros were revised throughout - straight brass (XF/EA), fibrelined brass later on, still interchangeable.
The ratio changes were achieved by the number of teeth on the input shaft, and it's mating gear on the countergear.
Otherwise, the countergears were the same too - you could fit the later reverse brake assy on the rear of the XF/EA countergear if you wanted to. The reverse brake synchro is the same as 5th gear synchro.
The reverse gear detent in the XF/EA is a long spring type assy, EBII on run a big spring clip type setup, which mounts on a dowel inside the case - look for a 'roofing nail' on the outside case near the reverse switch. This is absent on the XF/EA box, and I've noticed on some of the V8 boxes too.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Ash wrote:
Scaffy wrote:
Sorry, when I was saying yes they do, I was referring to you saying f**k ford like to make it difficult.

Dang, my mistake :oops:

Scaffy wrote:
So, if you were to get an Aussie v8 t5 with the bellhousing off say an e-series, you'd be laughing, right? Surely if you keep your eye out, you should be able to find something without too much trouble?

But the starter will still be on the L/H side. Therefore being an issue with the exhaust made for a R/H starter?

D'oh! Of course... I'll send an email to Tony at Astro and see if there's anything he can come up with. He'll at least be able to tell you whether that gearbox/bellhousing combo is compatible. He should be able to come up with something cheaper than that anyway.

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: LV XR5T

NSW, Australia

Vic wrote:
Not really relevant but interesting..

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/631.shtml

ooh does anyone know the tag number for our e-series V8 T5s?!

Scaffy wrote:
The Aussie shafts are 1/4" shorter than the '94/'95 as you'll be able to see in the following pic. From the top, we have a stock T5 input shaft, next is Falcon v8 Astro A5 input shaft, then '94/'95 Mustang A5 input and finally '85-'93 Mustang A5 input shaft.

hey scaffy, thats a great pic, but regarding it i have a question...

is that top one a standard e-series V8 T5 input shaft? how many splines are there? surely not 24 (i thought they had 24, from reading one of your other posts).
slightly confused!

Previous -
EL XR8 - Navy, 5.0, coilovers, custom twin 2.25" exhaust
EL Fairmont Ghia - Heritage, V8, Coilovers, leather, elec seat, sunroof, Ticky kit, EL XR front, dual fuel, EL GT's, custom twin exhaust
2011 Fiesta LX

Current -
LV XR5T

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:27 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

std e series, au 6 cyl and v8 t5 is a 10 spline input shaft

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next