Fordmods Logo

VERY happy with Hi-Stall converter!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: VERY happy with Hi-Stall converter!!
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I've had a TCI Hi-Stall (2500 - 3000) fitted to my EF Gli - and the improvement is nothing short of marvellous!

The car has a JMM cam and XR6 ECU but NO other mods yet - ie. I still haven't found an EFXR6 Fuel Pressure Reg and the exhaust is still TOTALLY stock!

It's gone from being dead off the line to COMFORTABLY outperforming a stock AUI XR6 up to 120kph or so (the XR6 still feels stronger above 4500 or so - the exhaust and low fuel pressure are hurting me up high), and contrary to anything I expected from a hi-stall the response is excellent and altho it does carry some more revs under certain circumstances it's not at all like it's getting around revving it's guts out. It's excellent in traffic now and has no problems going up hills or at high speed either - ie. it DOESN'T rev it's head off. I'm rapt!!

Once I've fitted up an AU fuel rail + injectors + 300kpa reg along with a decent exhaust, J3 module and an AUII coilpack/leads/plugs this thing will FLY!

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Post subject: Re: VERY happy with Hi-Stall converter!!
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

That's hardly a high stall lol.. Iv got a 3500 in mine and it behaves like te standard but revs to 3500 when i stall it.. Also don't bother with the au rail, injectors, plugs, reg etc.. Waste of money with very little if any gain at all.. Instead get a cai, exhaust and extractors, maybe then if you have enough $$$ left over get a tune.. Good to see your happy with it though..

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

A converter set up to stall higher than std is a "hi-stall" converter regardless of how much higher than std it stalls - I never said it was a huge one - that's not the point of my post so settle down - yes yours is bigger and MUCH more impressive, ok?.

Point is that it behaves significantly better ON THE ROAD - ie. the way these bloody things should have come from the factory in the first place (Auto 4 spd E series I mean) - AND the driveability isn't negatively affected the way I certainly thought it would be - info I felt worth sharing for other's benefit who might consider using one.

The AU1 fuel rail is something I'm looking at so I can fit up a 300kpa reg - can't find E series ones anymore - BUT - I've also found an adapter for the E-series rail that makes fitting up ANY aftermarket reg very easy so I might go that way. I've been down this path WITH THIS CAM in my old ED (the thing uses THREE factory shims so has a little bit of lift) - the high px reg makes noticeable and immediate improvement just on it's own - especially under sudden acceleration and under heavy load at high revs - that's from EXPERIENCE, not just supposition - as I said, currently in this car it IS weak in the top end from lack of fuel - and the crap exhaust won't be helping there either. Interestingly enough, so far with ONLY the cam and EFXR6 ECU the car not only performs very nicely better than std for everyday driving but it's SIGNIFICANTLY more economical! (can't fang it else it's likely to blow up with the lean top end OF COURSE).

OF COURSE I need the exhaust done - again, my point is that even with the s**t std exhaust, the improvement in ON THE ROAD performance from the new converter alone is fantastic.

I built that ED over the space of about 6 years and once it was done drove it several times between Broome and the East coast WITHOUT IT MISSING A BEAT so have some TINY idea what I'm doing... - that car had the JMM cam, 4480's + 2.5 exhaust, BBM conversion with ELXR6 ECU (knock sensor and BBM control all wired in and working) - and I had converted it from auto to 5spd. With the car loaded so the rear was nearly on the bumpstops she'd cruise all day at 170 or so and still be able to BLAST past wankers I came across who would speed up until they hit their limiters at 180 or so. Except for fitting the 5 spd trans I did ALL the work myself (I'm an Aircraft Engineer by trade).

Like I said, once I DO have the exhaust and fuel pressure sorted - as well as probably a J3 tuneup (yes that's been on the agenda already) - considering that with just a cam and XR6 ECU (+ converter) it already outperforms a std AU1 XR6 everywhere except top end - this thing's gonna go very nicely I think!

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeah TCI Hi Stalls are great - I got mine to stall to 2800 with Handbrake on and Foot on Brake :)

BUT my cam came in @ 3500rpm so I updated to a 3500 Eliminator Hi Stall

Why did you go for a TCI - due to recommendation on here or did you just come across them on eBay

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hi DRHEMI - I found it on ebay - it was only $395 (I think they still have some listed). The price actually scared me away for a while - ie. $395 compared to $700 from everywhere else seemed sus.

I only mentioned TCI to do the right thing by them as I'm happy with it so far - believe me if it craps out tomorrow everyone will hear about it too... They have a good rep and assured me it has all the good gear so I figured I'd go for it.

Finding someone to fit it was fun - fecking tradesmen don't want to do work for you even when you're ready to shower them with money... WTF!! (these days I'm pretty much over doing anything under the car myself).

I'd been looking for a long time at a converter from JMM (don't know who they get them from) or one of those Red Diamond ones on ebay but was worried about the cost and driveability - until you use one they're a big mystery.

This car is pretty much a pocket money project - my work transport bomb - you know what they say about mechanic's cars... :D - I wasn't ever intending to do ANY mods to it but the auto and tall diff were making me nuts so I chucked the cam and ECU in and then the converter and now it's shaping up to turn out a real jem with under a grand more to spend on it. I think it may have a "sweet" head - tho I'm in the process of doing the head gasket so fingers crossed it stays nice after that.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

just unplug the reg, should give you ample fuel pressure lol

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EF, Magna, R33 skyline

did anyone have any problems with the ecu going into limp mode?? I have a EL turbo motor in a XF ute and want to go back to auto but really want a stall.. let me know please.

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

usually they will go into limp mode on the launch with a converter with stall speeds over 2600 rpm,
there is a histall anti LHM module available that will resolve this problem

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Hey Greenmachine,

Glad you are enjoying your high-stall. I have had the same pleasant experience with my EF XR6 wagon (2800rpm stall). It launches nicely and is a blast to drive.

I had problems with limp mode, but found that lauching 'off brake, on accelerator' - so no stalling against the brakes - avoids going into limp, yet still lauches hard.

If you get a TI Performance Stage 2 J3 chip for $190, you can get LHM disabled plus a decent "desktop" tune, including tightening up shifts, raising shift points, rev limits, etc. If you want more later, you can either get it retuned or buy the tuning pack and do it yourself. Spending some time playing with the tune can dramatically improve part-throttle performance below stall speed. http://www.tiperformance.com.au/shop/stage-2-j3-chip/

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]