Fordmods Logo

Warping front discs 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Warping front discs
Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Au1 Fairmont

NT, Australia

just wondering people if upgrading the brake system on my au1 fairmont will stop my front discs from warping and what sort of costs i would be looking at?. I've been told the au1s are notorious for warped front discs and have experienced this problem.

Post subject: Re: Warping front discs
Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Au1Sam wrote:
just wondering people if upgrading the brake system on my au1 fairmont will stop my front discs from warping and what sort of costs i would be looking at?. I've been told the au1s are notorious for warped front discs and have experienced this problem.

If you get better ventilated discs (such as slotted/cross drilled or both) you could reduce the chance of warping, however if you brake harder due to better brakes, chances are you could warp them just the same.

On my EL I had warping issues with the stock brakes, upgraded to slotted and they haven't warped since...but then again I am not that much of a hard braker.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

cross drilled n slotted rotors seemed to work well on the BF for a bit over $200 with pads.
When my AUII rotors started warping I used BA callipers and got the 2nd hand BF rotors I had machined and used those for just under $200 with pads. I believe that it's a little harder and more expensive with series one au's though. Slotted rotors are a good place to start, theres alot of discussion on the site about how much you should spend on them.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

check for dragging brakes. anything, buggered check valves, caliper slides, seized parts etc

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:41 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: au 1 tonner

VIC, Australia

gday ppl
first of all gday to all
on the subject of cross drilled and slotted discs on au 1 ive got them all round on my work ute dba on rear protec on front rears are fine but front dont get 5000ks without shudder gtta change to series 2 brakes they tell me what i need to change is another question

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:10 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

martinp wrote:
gday ppl
first of all gday to all
on the subject of cross drilled and slotted discs on au 1 ive got them all round on my work ute dba on rear protec on front rears are fine but front dont get 5000ks without shudder gtta change to series 2 brakes they tell me what i need to change is another question

what pads are you running on the front??

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: au1 V8 1 tonne poverty pac ute

QLD, Australia

Hi, I recently upgraded my au1 front brakes using au2 brakes , got the parts I needed off ebay for a couple of hundred $, done it easily in a day, you will find this thread useful, http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread ... ade+thread , cheers

Don't force it, use a Bigger hammer

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Just simply changing to any old rotor (cross drilled, slotted or otherwise), is not the answer.

Most cheap rotors (like most of those available on e-bay for instance), are made in china with cheap dodgy metallurgy and poor production processes and are just waiting to give up the ghost and warp. They just aren't up to the task and it seems to not matter how hard you do or don't drive them.

OEM rotors from Ford are just as bad and not worth the money (IMO).

In my mind, the only value for money rotors worth having are the series 4000 DBA. They don't need to be slotted or cross drilled to prevent warping, but as they have effective venting and are made correctly from high quality materials, they seem to last forever.

I've put lots and lots of DBA rotors on falcons before and have never had a problem. Just put a set of slotted fronts on the turbs and expect them to last me throughout my ownership of the car. The only reason I got the slotted was Bursons were out of stock of the standard series 4000 rotor and they did the slotted for the same money. (It's a funky new slot design too... looks trick)!

Having said all that, no matter what rotor you are using, if you drive like a knob and get your brakes super heated every time you go out, you're going to have problems!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:06 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

here is thread that has good info on what the wrong pads can do to your rotors causing a warped feeling...
gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/burnt-rotors-so-which-pads-now-t97985.html

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: au1 V8 1 tonne poverty pac ute

QLD, Australia

gotta luv a v8 wrote:
Hi, I recently upgraded my au1 front brakes using au2 brakes , got the parts I needed off ebay for a couple of hundred $, done it easily in a day, you will find this thread useful, http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread ... ade+thread , cheers

The parts needed I got off a wrecked car on ebay, if you check the thread out you will see the huge difference between the au1 & the au2 brakes and the parts needed, would cost a small fortune to get them all new, cheers

Don't force it, use a Bigger hammer

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Upgrade to AU2 and BF2 322mm brakes. Should be able to for under a grand if you can do the work yourself.

Don't get cross drilled rotors with the standard brakes.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]