What handling, suspension or braking upgrade have you design 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: What handling, suspension or braking upgrade have you design
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

Hey guys

im just looking around for idea how some handling and control upgrades that i could make with my mig or tig welder for my Turbo EF falcon sedan

Like whiteline have stop making the upper control arm braces or what everyone calls them strut braces.

I was wondering if anyone try making there own ones or has some pic's of a set of whiteline strut braces???? for better idea of design to re make them for my self.

Im also thinking about making a brake booster support that sits on the top of the strut and holds the booster there and take some of the pressure off the firewall.

ive already order full nolathane bush kit and going to order some whiteline adjustable swaybars next weekend

Has anyone made any coil overs to fit the rear of ef/el? iv'e herd pedders has made coil overs for the front and so has nolathane.

Has anyone made/tryed to make adjustable radius rods????

show me your creative minds

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

If you have experience with such tools required to do it then go for it.

I had fabricated many parts, including suspension components for my cars. I will run down 1 example car i built a few years ago.

'85 toyota corona, my first drift/track car, the parts i fabricated for it are as follows

- Front coilovers
- Rear coilovers
- Front wide lower control arms with rose joints
- Rear control arms (x4) with rose joints
- Front strut brace
- Engine mounts
- G'box mounts
- Converted Hilux diff to fit
- Fitted hilux injection and a soarer supercharger
- oh and i forgot, adjustable cater rods and rose joint tie rod ends.

The was a few other things, but not real "hand built" mods really worth mentioning. Have a google on "how to make" each thing your after, i'd bet you will find quite alot of walk throughs.

Anything is possible if you have metal working tools.

Andrew.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Post subject: Re: What handling, suspension or braking upgrade have you de
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

Xflow wrote:
I was wondering if anyone try making there own ones or has some pic's of a set of whiteline strut braces???? for better idea of design to re make them for my self.

Yeah, i would like to see a pic of one of those too.

Quote:
Has anyone made any coil overs to fit the rear of ef/el? iv'e herd pedders has made coil overs for the front and so has nolathane.

I used to work for proven products in guildford sydney and we used to sell sections of threaded tube with locknuts for coils to sit on. They could be welded onto a std shock body. On the rear though you would want to be sure the shock mounts are built to take the loads.

I am in the process of making spacers for the front strut tops and rear top coil seats. I figure that's less work and money overall than an easily adjustable setup, but that's taking into account that i hope to get it to the right height and leave it there, not make ongoing adjustments. Strength and reliability is important to me too, maintaining those can require considerable effort.

Quote:
Has anyone made/tryed to make adjustable radius rods????

I haven't fiddled with the radius rods but some thoughts are they may be easy to make longer by use of washers, or to make shorter for more castor you might be able to remove some metal. To make them quickly adjustable you would need to remove some metal and thread them all the way, but even if there is enough metal to do this, overall it might be more work than just making slower adjustments.

The XF/XG has adjustable radius rods but they aren't a direct swap in.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:33 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The whiteline upper arm braces go from the upper arm bolts in the enginebay down to the K Frame where the engine mounts bolt up.
No pics on hand, but hopefully you can visualise that.
I also remember reading that when they tested the first pair they actually bent them, so had to uprate the rods used for the brace.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
The whiteline upper arm braces go from the upper arm bolts in the enginebay down to the K Frame where the engine mounts bolt up.
No pics on hand, but hopefully you can visualise that.
I also remember reading that when they tested the first pair they actually bent them, so had to uprate the rods used for the brace.

Thanks. That seems sensible, at first thought anyway.

Without having had a serious look i figured it would be awkward to pass a bar over the engine. A quick release mechanism might be a minimum in that case.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

i did a bit of looking around and found some interesting stuff.
Skyline r33 coil overs might be a working setup just have to do a few minor modifcation to front and rear struts to make them fit but ill keep u in the loop if they working design or not

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]