Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: which tailshaft?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi Guys,

I'm putting a T5 on my auto i6 and I've got two driveshafts I can use.

One is a heavy steel job that came with the manual, and the other is a balanced Alloy XR shaft with "made in South africa" and apparently out of an EL XR8.

They are identical length, but the nose (from the front uni joint forwards) that slides into the gearbox is nearly an inch longer on the steel manual.

Could I just swap the nose over ? It looks like just circlips holding it together... am I missing something or will it work?

ta

Frank

Post subject: Re: which tailshaft?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

as long as it's the same length you could swap the yolk at the end, I believe all the uni's are the same. Do yourself a favour and repace those when you do. I changed mine the other week because they were getting noisy & when taken apart there were sheared needle rollers running round in there :shock: I still remember reading somewhere that the steel ones are heavier, but stronger.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Use the alloy tailshaft, they are better balanced and less harmonics, that is why they were fitted to the XR's and to long wheel base's.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I would use the alloy one as well.
My XH ute has a steel one currently and I am going to check if the alloy one out of my NF will fit it.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

you'll find the uni caps are an interference fit from memory? Will require some kind of pressing tool to change...

I also read once that base models fitted with the steel shaft had a speed limiter at around 200km/hr because after this speed the tail shaft was not in a safe operating range and risked flying apart... It went on to say XR's have no speed limiter because the alloy tail shaft will never fly apart as the motor can not exceed that speed...

Whether it is true or not I have no idea... But this is what I read...

Would love to get my hands on an alloy shaft one day...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

barely interference fit.. only requires vice and hammer, and a block of wood for the ally shaft. The circlips hold them in there.

I'm not talking what speed they are capable of, I'm talking about strength in shear, like dropping the clutch in a charged 6 with sticky rubber on grippy black stuff etc.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ah ok... Makes it easy then... For some reason I felt they were interference fit... :?

You have broken an alloy shaft or seen it happen? I was under the impression alloys (good quality ones) withstand more force than steel counterparts?

Ex girlfriend had a fiesta... Buckled two steel rims on our roads and when the alloys went on it never had an issue... Lighter wheels and much stronger... Thought this may apply to tailshafts as well?

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You are right, it's still an interference fit, just not alot of interference.

strength, hardness & ductility all have a bearing on ones perception of strength. It depends on the application, I've never had one break but have heard of it (not specific to falcons). They seem to serve the purpose well.

For me it's a matter of size for size, steel is stronger. While the wall thickness of the tube may/must be increased, the yolks appear to be of the same size. I imagine they would be easier to bend also, but being lighter weight reduces the need for balancing as theres less inertia to worry about. Perhaps I'm just guilty of too much pondering on the subject... lol

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

haha... well that is never a flaw...

I was just generally under the impression alloy=better...

I run a steel one and really have no desire to change it... Does everything I need it too... Never given any grief and it has seen what must be close to 330,000km go by underneath it... And since I have had it has towed some heavy loads around too...

If I ever came across an alloy one locally (which is highly unlikely) that would have only been the only it'd get swapped out... I wasn't paying a ridiculous freight figure to get it her from Melb or Syd...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Sweet. Alloy one it is... the last one of these I did was in an old Holden and had two bolts per side holding them in... do I need any special tools or is this as easy as it looks Ike it might be with the circlips.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Aparently an au automatic tail shaft is alloy and fits e series? And I think troyman had a different excuse for the speedlimiter on falcons, cant remember but it couldve been the extension housing? Maybe im thinking of somthing else

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I know AU manuals have a longer extension housing so I guess a shorter tailshaft... Can't comment on the Auto variants though...

AUII runs IRS so I guess a two piece tailshaft?

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I have a vice and stuff, so I guess I'll give swapping the ends over a go.. I like saving weight were possible if I can do it safely...

I was told (probably BS) that the EL XR was sold in South africa and that the drive shaft was probably one made for that market as they didn't have the speed limiter over there. (it does say "made in South Africa" on the side and it does appear to have had a fair bit of effort expended in balancing it)

Not that a drive shaft can make a lot of difference, but I got this one for free with some other bits so what they hey....

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
I know AU manuals have a longer extension housing so I guess a shorter tailshaft... Can't comment on the Auto variants though...

AUII runs IRS so I guess a two piece tailshaft?

Cheers,
Tim

Auto use same length tailshaft, au and e series, AU manual are the only one with a shorter shaft shaft due to above mentioned extension housing being longer.

uni's, yeah sort of interference press fit, but yeah couple swift blows, you can pop em out cleanly would recommend a new uni and and getting it pressed in though, much cleaner.
got popping yokes out of shafts under 20 seconds circlips and all, hehe.

IRS is across the au range AU1-3 but either, ""rarely"" optioned(only know of one) up or on ghia's xr8's, and "VCT" XR6's, not hp model's
still single piece tailshaft, ba on they went to 2 piece.
lucky your not driving a holden, nearly every variant's a different length, crazy amount of tailshafts, different lengths /yokes, center bearng positions, more wheelbases changes, unlike ford use 2 lengths, LWB/ SWB
28 spline yoke still used to fg, as with 50's customlines etc.
uni in my 61 tank fairlane 9" same as an au
as mentioned alloy vs steel strength aint a clean cut thing.

a big thing I suspect will be the alloy shaft having a much lower inertia rate. but I havent spent hours researching the exact variants, whether the Alloy and steel shafts, have a different uni sizes???? :lol:
anyway f**k it I'm tired.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The uni's look idenical.

I imagine the alloy would be better at speed due to it's lower weight.. any imbalance is going to be proportionatly lower than the steel one.. but I doubt it would make any measureable different to anything.. I just want it. :-)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next