Fordmods Logo

Why would an Auto stall at lights/ cut out at speed? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Why would an Auto stall at lights/ cut out at speed?
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:51 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

Hey team, just looking for some insight into a BA auto..

I'm planning to rip out the auto and replace it with a manual, so this is irrelivant essentially, however would be nice to sort out so I have a spare auto for the XT..

Only every now and then, the car will idle down and stall at traffic lights. Sometimes when hot, sometimes when cold. Sometimes never at all. Almost seems like being due to not having foot on brake hard enough.. Sometimes this doesn't matter either.

Occasionally just after an upchange, every now and then on a downchange - the gearbox disconnects. eg. you hear the gearbox stop functioning, revs are still up, but throttle is no longer in control.

In all situations, simply put it in neutral, turn key back, then crank the car, put back into drive, then continue unphased..

What I want to know is; Would this be due to a recirculation valve, some sort of an electronic control, or a clutch pack/bands in the auto?

I'm willing to tear the auto apart and recondition it if need be, but if it's something simple I may as well sort that out first.

To me, it seems like a clutch failing to grab due to excessive torque, however it's not all the time, nor is it necessarily when it is extremely hot or cold.

It's not enough of a problem to warrant rushing putting a manual conversion in, however would be nice to know it's sorted, I just want to keep thrashing it.

Any insight will be well considered.

Cheers guys,
Happy Motoring! :twisted:

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]