Fordmods Logo

XH XR8 Suspension 

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA XR6 Ute

QLD, Australia

You got the performance ford mag with the yellow SVO XH in it, its got a shot under the back end, sure it has a unique suspension setup but the sway bar should be the same.

nascentes morimur

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:29 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Get the whitelines for under 300 for both.
Easy to fit ;)
That's pretty close - I got mine from Autobarn when they had a 20% off day - as Steady has mentioned in previous threads, expect to wait a few weeks for them to arrive.

XH5LWEPN wrote:
What about the rears on the leaf spring rear end. They arent just a bolt on thing are they, as they do not have a sway bar in the first place. Front seems easy enough as it would basically be remove and replace.
Fronts are easy - although the XH is listed with the EF front bar, you should go the EL front bar, as it is around $40 cheaper, though you will need to fit EL D bush brackets - I think you'll find XHII's run EA-EF type brackets.
Rears are designed to be a bolt on with drilling the brackets - I welded my brackets on.

XH5LWEPN wrote:
Anyone got pics of the swaybar set-up on the rear of an XG-XH ute?
I can take pics of mine if you wish.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

Gregg_13 wrote:
You got the performance ford mag with the yellow SVO XH in it, its got a shot under the back end, sure it has a unique suspension setup but the sway bar should be the same.

Nah no sway bar under the a*** of that one. Its running a fourlink rear end, same sorta set-up as the commodore ute rear, just its using coil-overs etc.

snap0964 wrote:
Fronts are easy - although the XH is listed with the EF front bar, you should go the EL front bar, as it is around $40 cheaper, though you will need to fit EL D bush brackets - I think you'll find XHII's run EA-EF type brackets.
Rears are designed to be a bolt on with drilling the brackets - I welded my brackets on.

Cheers for the hot tip mate, i may consider getting them at a later date, but as Gregg_13 has said previously im trying to save up for a full respray. And i have heard that the waiting period can be very long when waiting for parts from whiteline.

snap0964 wrote:
I can take pics of mine if you wish.

If you could that would be great mate, very interested to how they look under the rear and where they are mounted.

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:10 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

XH5LWEPN wrote:
Cheers for the hot tip mate, i may consider getting them at a later date, but as Gregg_13 has said previously im trying to save up for a full respray. And i have heard that the waiting period can be very long when waiting for parts from whiteline.
NP. Yeah, waiting can be painful. Save up and get them when the retail outlet has a 20% day or whatever. Definitely worth getting though.
XH5LWEPN wrote:
If you could that would be great mate, very interested to how they look under the rear and where they are mounted.
Just give me a week or two - when I'm next under the a*** end.

Just off topic - How have you found the suspension of your XH's ??
I've always found mine to be pretty choppy on ride quality - you feel every bump. Having the wagon I really notice the difference. The utes suspension is fine (at 105000 km it should be). I realise it's a commercial vehicle, but the two cars share pretty much the same front suspension, same wheelbase, same rear suspension bar spring rate. ute runs monroe shocks, wagon pedder comfort shocks - but ride quality is certainly different.
Although I have driven a couple of VS commodore utes - certainly inferior to the XH IMO.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Just off topic - How have you found the suspension of your XH's ??

Yeah mate they definately arent the comfiest ride. You really do feel all the bumps. My old 4.0L was alot smoother but it definately wasnt as low as the XR8. The front end isnt too bad on mine, a little rough, but nothing compared to the a*** end. I'm getting it raised up 1/2" at the back to give it a little more clearance, plus it'll even it up abit as the back is sitting lower than the front ATM. Hopefully the Bilstein's will do their job and give alot nicer ride.

Will update when i get the chance after tomorrow night when i pick it up.

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:33 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, thanks for that dude.
I might get a set of EF/EL wagon rear leafs, fit them and store the ute ones.
I don't carry many heavy loads, so it might improve the general ride.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Well guys picked the ute up yesterday arvo and i'm very happy so far. Although i cant comment much yet as i have only driven it from the shop back home which is only 9kms, will give it a bit more over the weekend and get back to yas after that. All i can say is so far so smooth.

One thing i will post up is a little pic showing you the result of XSL springs with the new Bilstein shorter struts. Basically the XSL springs i was running with the std struts were doing nothing, the shock was doing all the work as the spring was SO short.
Throw in the new struts and, bang, slammed. They had to remove the struts and machine extra grooves up higher into the seat to bring it all back up. So there is still plenty of room in the strut grooves to bring it right back down again. Funny thing was that there was still adequate suspension travel as it was in the pic, just wouldnt have been able to turn the wheel :lol:

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:24 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Pics from the back of my XH:

RHS mount:
ImageImage

LHS mount:

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Ah cheers Snap, totally forgot about this thread.

Looks fairly straight forward to install. Did it make any noticeable difference?

Update to how my suspension is going, bloody sweeeet. Handles like a dream now now, no more bottoming out and actually has nice comfortable travel all round. Axle tramp hasnt been a problem at the strip either which is excellent, but traction isnt much better, i think the only way im gonna fix that is with some huge rubber on the rear.

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

XH5LWEPN wrote:
Ah cheers Snap, totally forgot about this thread.
Looks fairly straight forward to install. Did it make any noticeable difference?
NP. Pretty easy to install. Handles much better - particularly noticeable through roundabouts and bends at speed. The front doesn't feel like the weight swings to the outside of the opposite suspension anymore.

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Well digging up an old thread here but i thought bring it back as i just bought a 30mm front Whiteline swaybar and ordered in the 20mm rear one. So hopefully i can have them fitted up before too long. Im interested how much of a difference they will actually make.

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Quite a bit of difference in the corners.
I'm thinking of upgrading my XR8 swaybars as that is all that is left to do on the suspension. 30mm front and 24mm rear for me.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I just picked the ute up then. Only managed to get the rear swaybar fitted as Whiteline sent them the wrong front bar but was in the right box :evil: . Will be going back in next week to get the Front sway bar fitted a long with a heap of bushes in te front end that they showed me were flogged out. Being almost 10 years old now and still running the original Tickford bushes throughout you got to expect them to all be going brittle etc, and the rate at which some of them were worn was quite alarming.

Now, the feel with the rear swaybar fitted, Unbelievable!!!! You can really notice the difference, much tighter in the rear end during cornering and really holds the end flat, feels like its almost completely eliminated all noticable body roll. Provokes abit of oversteer though, which isnt a drama for me, makes it more prone to turn both rear wheels instead of just the inside one.

So far im very happy, i reccomend the rear swaybars for anyone with a leaf sprung e-series car. I cant wait to see how the front end ends up after the next lot of work.

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Heres a few pics. Diff breather gets in the way abit.

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:02 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

you'll be happy with a 30mm front sway bar jeff. had one on mine for a while and stoked with it. i havent done the rear as yet. actually havent had the time to do it is more the point.
me having almost exactly the same setup as you suspension wise, i can tell you, its all good brother

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next