Fordmods Logo

XR6 BA Mk2 Transmission fluid, spark plugs and fuel filter 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: XR6 BA Mk2 Transmission fluid, spark plugs and fuel filter
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:19 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford MK2 BA Manual 2005

QLD, Australia

Ok so please be nice I'm new here and a bit of a novice when it comes to some things on my car :D . I have a Mk2 BA Ford XR6 Sedan 2005 auto, she's worked hard, and it's time for a pamper (Ok you guessed it, I'm female) I serviced her regularly with oil & filters and have done the brakes, callipers, even had the diff replaced (was smart and got that done under warranty)

Now I need a little help. She's done 100k and I know it's time to change the transmission fluid, as she's lowered I'm going to siphon the fluid out (I know she has a reusable gasket, but I think this is going to be the easier option for me) What I was after was some info on exactly what type (brand) of fluid you recommend, and quantity. I also want to change the plugs, so was after any recommendations there on brand ext.

Finally, I'm having a B*$^#@$d of a time with finding the fuel filter, I was sure it's under the back seat but do you think I can find the damn thing! :oops: Any help would be greatly appreciated

Post subject: Re: XR6 BA Mk2 Transmission fluid, spark plugs and fuel filter
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

i done my gearbox oil the other day. just drove it up on ramps, jacked the back end up till level. then took out the filler plug on the side then dropped the pan. oil everywear ofcourse but it got the job done.
then just got some box oil, 4ltrs. i think it was nulon or somthin. used a piece of hose with a funnel on the end, had a friend pour the fluid into the funnel standin beide the car while i held the hose in the filler hole.
also used a new filter.

thers preety much no way to syphon the oil out..

and for the fuel filter. its under the car about at the B pillar. it looks like a small metal cylender. with a metal fuel line in each end.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

VIC, Australia

This is a pic of an EL, but it's basically in the same position -

Looking from under the diff centre towards the front

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Ok, so I'm going to put her up on stands, drop the pan and change the filter. Also going to change the coils and plugs, Ford is gonna love me! $$$. (thanks for the pick on the fuel filter will make my life alot easier on Saturday)

Question, I'm hearing different sories. I thought the gasket was reusable as it is rubber, Am I off on some wild horse tangent????

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

on the gearbox pan?. yes its rubber and probly reuseable. but in a getbox kit you get a new rubber and a filter.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:50 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Dont go and reuse bloody gaskets. Do it once. Do it properly or leave it alone. You could end up having to spend more money doing it again if it leaks cause you were tight on getting a filter kit.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:56 am 

NSW, Australia

Also make sure you use the right size spanners if you attempt the fuel filter so you dont round of the nuts. From experience they are on bloody tight. When you do the spark plugs take the coils out by jiggleing them side to side or you could break one in there.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I agree with Sean, you can buy a filter service kit, has the filter and a new gasket, they do go hard after a time.

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks guys, never had to change/use a rubber gasket before, thats why I was a bit confused. Have baught the kit for the transmission, coils and plugs. now just need to buy the oil.

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Shum's EL wrote:
This is a pic of an EL, but it's basically in the same position -

Looking from under the diff centre towards the front

B-Series filters are on the inside of the rail under the front passenger seat. Much further forward.

The fuel tank sits where the filters used to in an e-series.

Also note that the legendary Ford assembly line workers have been know to massively over tighten or cross thread the flare nuts that connect the filter. If they are too tight to remove or start to bind as you undo them (to the point where they basically seize), do them back up and go down to Ford and buy replacement metal lines of the one or both sides (if needed). Then go back and do it again, but removing the existing metal lines and putting the new ones in.

If you manage to get the nuts undone, the thread will be ruined and wont screw into the new filter.

Will add another $50 to your bill if you're an unlucky one. :?

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Dropped the transmission fluid, a beautiful site if I do say so, after 120k she's still a great shade of red, not what I was expecting at all!! Changed the coils and plugs, that was easy, except for the last plug up near the windscreen, had to improvise on that one as the socket set didn't have the exact swivel I was after, but it's done.

Dropped the oil, well, what can I say, it's the same colour that it looks like after every other service. Changed the diff oil, not bad, and the fuel filter, you guys were right they did it up tight all right, had to get the muscles of the next door neighbor to get that one off.

Gonna call it a night, need food, so tomorrow, I'll change the air filter, detail the engine bay, oh and fix the back tyre (found a nail in it, bugger) Will be leaving the wheel bearings till next week.
Thanks for all the help and info, I'll post again once she's down and I've taken her for a spin.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:55 am 

NSW, Australia

Gees thats what you call a major service :shock: . Good on you for your efforts. Might as well change coolant and brake fluid while your on a roll :P

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford BA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Gday,
Thanks for writing about this, I just got a BA Fairmont Ghia and wanted to do this, but had a few questions.

1 - How much was the transmission service kit? and where did you buy it from?
2 - Did you use Castrol TQ95 transmission fluid as specified for the auto box?
3 - Did it use 4L (which is the topup amount), or 9L which is a fully dried / new box amount?
(ie. Should i buy 3x4L bottles of TQ95)
4 - How did you get to the drain / fill bolt in the rear diff? and how do you tell if you have an LSD or regular diff for the oil type / additive?.. i know i have IRS, but not sure about LSD.

I serviced my car partly on the weekend. I've replaced the air filter, fuel filter (was a nightmare to get off), engine oil&filter (now using 5W30 fully synthetic Castrol edge sport), and power steering fluid (Valvoline Type F). My to do list still has: Transmission Fluid, Diff Fluid, Brake Fluid, and Full Coolant Flush. Im about to replace all 6 of my ignition coils as it is stuttering a bit on take off between 2000-3000rpm (sounds like a miss).

Thanks for any advice / tips.
Tony.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks guys, sorry for the delay in post, it's been a crazy week, plus I ran into some unexpected issues on Sunday night. My car is running allot better, and at least I know she's not going to die any time soon, however that noise is still there, I didn't get a chance to do the wheel bearings so I'm hoping it's that, if not, looks like I'm gonna have to pull her apart and have her on blocks for a while :(
That's not the only thing that has gone wrong though, my right fog light won't work, I thought it was just the globe, but after changing that it looks like I may have a problem with the wiring (no wonder the globes keep popping, and the handbrake light keeps coming on intermittently, yes I have tightened that)
If anyone knows where I can get a wiring diagram for a 2005 ford XR6 BA I would greatly appreciate it, I called the guys at Ford in Cairns, and they said as it (the fog lights) were not standard and it was an accessory fitted aftermarket that they couldn't help WTF??? No wonder I service my own car!

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1996 Ford

Oustide Australia

Hi. I think you can get that wiring diagram for a 2005 ford XR6 BA in some market place, did you try looking at Ebay?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next