Fordmods Logo

Xr6 body roll 

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Xr6 body roll
Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I had whiteline bars front and rear on the ED - I've only changed over the front bar to the EF and it's worked a treat on balancing it overall - fitting the rear bar hasn't been necessary because the EF feels fine in that respect. In the ED I found that trying to offset the soft rear with the swaybar actually ended up counterproductive - ie. you get a very direct increase in a*** end sliding tendency with stiffening of the rear bar (as you'd expect) so can only go so far with that - certainly not enough to get rid of the doughy feeling.

I stand by what I suggested - ie. that IMO King low (std XR6 height) rear springs are basically too soft - I could SEE and feel the difference when I swapped over the Bilsteins between the rear of the ED and the EF - ie. I could look at and feel both cars without shockies fitted at the same time and the ED with those lowered Kings was REAL soft compared to the EF with std springs (the EF actually has heavy duty towbar fitted and Kelsey brakes controller etc. so it may even have HD springs?).

Whatever the case, the EF does not have the same doughyness that the ED did and I have to say that with just the Selby front bar and Bilstein shockies but std springs and std rear swaybar the EF handles better than the ED did with King Lows all round. The EF needs the Selby front bar as it had too much roll in the front but is terrific now.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:25 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

Seems like trying the el diff hat/cover is worth a try.I would have thought it's a straight bolt on, but one wrecker i rang said the bolt layout is different on the el diff cover? just wondering if it will actually fit so then i can chuck it on and see:P It was $65 for just the cover. can you also fit an ef XR or au diff hat as theyre all 20mm lowered too?

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

shyun wrote:
Seems like trying the el diff hat/cover is worth a try.I would have thought it's a straight bolt on, but one wrecker i rang said the bolt layout is different on the el diff cover? just wondering if it will actually fit so then i can chuck it on and see:P It was $65 for just the cover. can you also fit an ef XR or au diff hat as theyre all 20mm lowered too?

The EL is different from the EF......not just the cover, but the mounting points for the upper arms.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

cjh wrote:
shyun wrote:

The EL is different from the EF......not just the cover, but the mounting points for the upper arms.

You'll have to research this for sure - all I can say is I went to a workshop and told them I wanted an EL Diff cover put on my 1993 ED - they said ok they'll call me when the part comes in - about a week later I got the call, dropped off the car, picked it up that afternoon and indeed there was a shiny new diff cover on it. The invoice/receipt showed 1 x part number "xyz" EL Falcon Diff cover - I don't have the docket anymore nor do I remember the actual number. I do recall them saying they were holding their breath to see if it would fit "but it went straight on".

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:22 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I have put an EL cover on an EF diff, it went straight on.
I find it hard to believe that the bolt pattern on the diff changed between models.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

when did this thread stop being about roll problems and start being about suspension upgrades?

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:32 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
when did this thread stop being about roll problems and start being about suspension upgrades?

how else do you fix a roll problem:P

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

fiftyone wrote:

What?? - the discussion HAS been about suspension aspects that affect roll! (not gonna f***en fix it with positive thought and prayer!!) Fitting later diff cover is supposed to affect the ROLL centre....

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

well it wasn't a problem back when the car was built, as they made 10,000's of them.

the question is worded bad, should be "how can I reduce the roll?" not "the roll problem" it sounds like something f**k up and the car is flopping about like a wacked fish

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
well it wasn't a problem back when the car was built, as they made 10,000's of them.

the question is worded bad, should be "how can I reduce the roll?" not "the roll problem" it sounds like something f**k up and the car is flopping about like a wacked fish

well it was a problem. It's pretty well documented the EF had 'roll oversteer' which they apparantly corrected with the lowered watt's link. Seeing as the ED and EF rear suspension is the same as far as i can tell i don't see why it wouldn't have simmilair problems.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

fiftyone wrote:

Ah, - I see what you meant now - sorry for being so abrupt - I was hurrying thru (nearly went back to edit it at the time in fact).

And for what it's worth in general with regard to the topic I still think there's possibly an issue with King lowered springs being too soft - if not all the brands that offer lowered springs (I wonder how factory XR6 ones compare?) - the EF is still feeling GREAT by comparison and as I said, the Kings I left in the old car were incredibly soft by comparison when I had both vehicles side by side with no shockies.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tis cool.

Yes there is a noticable amount of roll, but i would say the answer is slow the f**k down.

a bigger sway bar in the back will correct a lot of that too. people have said good things about whiteline kits in falcons actually.

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:27 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
You'll have to research this for sure - all I can say is I went to a workshop and told them I wanted an EL Diff cover put on my 1993 ED - they said ok they'll call me when the part comes in - about a week later I got the call, dropped off the car, picked it up that afternoon and indeed there was a shiny new diff cover on it. The invoice/receipt showed 1 x part number "xyz" EL Falcon Diff cover - I don't have the docket anymore nor do I remember the actual number. I do recall them saying they were holding their breath to see if it would fit "but it went straight on".

Did you actually notice a difference with the el cover on?
With the springs though, becuase it's an xr6, the xr6 lows are actually superlows on non lowered falcons (kinda misleading:P). They're not all that soft, the cars fairly stiff over bumps and such.
The only problem with upping the roll-bar's on the back is it will get stiffer, so the handling at the back should decrease even if it isn't rolling as much. I also managed to get a el diff cover from the wreckers for $20 so i'l have to see how that goes once i get some sealant, gasket and oil for the diff and chuck it on.

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

Let me get this straight.... you are complaining about your a*** end kicking out TOO much? :s

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

eed-250 wrote:
Let me get this straight.... you are complaining about your a*** end kicking out TOO much? :s

Thats the main part of it Carl..... He'd hate being on boosted, thats what everyone wants :lol:

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next