Fordmods Logo

TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon 

Page 32 of 78 [ 1167 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 78  Next

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon - Who Knows Coils?
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

thanks for that troy... Looks to be a solid unit... And would mount to my bracket easily enough... May venture down that path yet... Comes complete with the wiring extension too... Obviously works ok if you're running one with boost... Yours is triggered by an after market ignition system?

Cheers,
tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:59 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
thanks for that troy... Looks to be a solid unit... And would mount to my bracket easily enough... May venture down that path yet... Comes complete with the wiring extension too... Obviously works ok if you're running one with boost... Yours is triggered by an after market ignition system?

Cheers,
tim

nope, still running the stock dizzy and tfi..

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

ahhh... Excellent... Well it sure sounds to be a good performer... Did the hole centres for the two mounting bolts appear to be similar to the facorty ones?

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:48 pm 

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
ahhh... Excellent... Well it sure sounds to be a good performer... Did the hole centres for the two mounting bolts appear to be similar to the facorty ones?

similar, yes... the brackets have an elongated hole to suit a few applications

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ah excellent... I should have no worries making this work then... Thanks you for your efforts sir! This may be more suited for my NA daily then a really flash MSD or something odd...

Cheers,
Tim

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon - Knock Sensor Time
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The last couple of days the computer has decided that pinging is the best type of ignition timing to run...

May be time for a knock sensor... Been manually driving it off pinging obviously and will re-check the base timing, but a knock sensor would help reinforce to the computer the error in its ways...

Now... I have an AU knock sensor that cam with the VCT gear I bought... Does anyone know if the AU knock sensor will function with an EL ECU? Do I need to source an EL one? I'm about to go digging for wiring schematics, but I am thinking you feed power to it and then a wire runs back to the computer? I'll just use the wire for the ED temp sensor for this seeing it is hanging under the manifold as a spare and pick up the power off the VCT wire...

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I have the wiring sorted... Picks up of the black/white wire that feeds into the coolant temp sensor so I can use that... It must be the computer's power feed out to the sensors... Does the IAT, TPS, P/S switch, MAP, type items as well... And then a single wire back to the computer which I will use the old temp sender wire for... Run it into the computer... Simple wiring in...

Now the question is... Does anyone run the the AU one with an EL computer? And does it matter where it bolts to the block? Can it be anywhere? Does it have to be need the head to work? Would it work on the lower crank case region? And can anyone supply a photo of where it mounts on various models?

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Also,

Picked up a spare drift r mag off the bay this arvo... Some guy had one for sale which is immaculate... So now I have a set of 5... Not bad when they 5th wheel is $10.50 and is completely rash free...

Now I just need the tire stripped and organise postage...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Timmy.

The factory location for the knock sensor for E Series is high on the block below the head between cylinders 4 and 5.

If you have a late ED you may already have an EF block with the mounting point already cast in etc.

Nice pick up on the spare wheel mate.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:15 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

didn't have any of the bbm mounting points so not liking my luck ben... Just wondering if i could bolt it lower where the old log manifold support braket mounted... Wasn't sure if it would work? :?

Do you know if the au and el one function the same?

Cheers,
tim

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Hi Tim, I used the AU sensor when I put the AU engine in my car with the VCT and used the EL ecu with no problems, but was using 95rom all the time so dunno if that made a difference but it did help a little using the knock sensor compared to without it, Without the sensor connected it used to pin a little under full load but soon as I connected it the pinging went away.

Hope that helps?

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:23 am 

NSW, Australia

when i had the au engine in my ea i had the au knock sensor connected to the el ecu, i can only assume it workes, i never got any fault codes for the knock sensor, but on occasions still had some pinging.
so i ran 98 fuel all the time..

i would drop your ignition timing back a deg or so, while the knock sensor is there for a safety reason,(for stupid people that dont know what that noise is) lol.
but when it detects knock it removes more than a few deg of timing, so it will just make it doggy when it detects pinging.

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon - Son Of Big s**t!
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

ok... Fixed my iac this arvo... Thanks ash... A new old au one... Works fine...

In other news i was looking at my header tank thinking gee wiz that's gone a strange colour... Took the lid off and stuck my finger in it and it came out oil covered... And then i checked the dip stick and it was on the add mark... To lose so much oil after only a week something hasn't lined up...

Is there something i needed to know about bolting an au mls gasket to an ed block with an au head? Only a week and the head gasket is leaking so i've missed something... No water in the oil... Just oil in the water so an oil pressure gallery is leaking into a water jacket somewhere...

Can't say i'm overly impressed... :evil:

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

it was skimmed true... That was it...

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

Flush the water and see if its still mixing. I Had a similar thing with my Water mixing in my oil after I did my gasket. Changed the oil and it was all good. Must have been some residue left behind from when I removed the head. Hopefully it's the same for you?

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Sort by  
 Page 32 of 78  [ 1167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 78  Next