Fordmods Logo

Building an NA high comp Barra FG Mk 2 XR6 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Building an NA high comp Barra FG Mk 2 XR6
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:07 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG MK 2 XR6

WA, Australia

So, after a bunch of time enjoying some tasteful tuning and breathing mods on the daily, a recent incident with an unseen road obstacle on Great Eastern highway has me with a damaged and leaking sump (quite the "bang".

So, with an expensive repair bill in mind and quoted...I figured I could either just get the normal engine block repaired under insurance. Or I could get onto the Barra building boys and see what they could do to assist in getting a nice streety NA build done for me.

Disclaimer: after about a dozen Ford's over the last 20 years this one is going to become the garage ornament. It's basically the last of the local made falcons, it's immaculate, and realistically to trade up to a factory turbo in similar condition is going to cost me another $20k. Known this one outright. So just want to cover off the "buy a turbo omg what a waste of money" comments.

I'll be acquiring an FPV in due course also, so I figured what's wrong with seeing what an NA 6 can do for something different.

I considered a blower, but I've been there done that also with an old BA.

So, this will be the build I've kicked off with a local engine builder and tuner.

Donor FG motor
Fully reconditioned and bored 20 though (I think this means I can go put some old 4.1 badges on my front quarters now??)
Performance H beam rods
Freshened up crank
Ecolpi pistons for 12:1 compression to suit bore
Race bearings and HD timing chain
Billet oil pump gears
Stage 2 cam (focus on torque not shift up in rpm range)
Underdrives
Tuned for 98
A smattering of other little bits and pieces
Injectors are on standby as is a higher flowing fuel pump...just in case.
All new gaskets, seals and plugs

I had the option for E85 but in WA it's still not really common, plus there are some big distances our here, plus I wasn't really keen on the associated 30% increase in consumption. It makes for a very small fuel range.

Should be tuned and on the road in about 6 weeks.

Thoughts on rwhp? The focus is on making it an all around better daily, more power and torque everywhere.

Once it's worn in properly I'll give it a couple short shift runs (5.5k rpm) down at the drags.

Too many Fords and too much cash "invested" over the years.

New Project: Daily Cruiser, FG Mk 2 XR6 NA , headers, CAI, tuned, 238rwhp and counting.

Engine build in progress.....

Post subject: Re: Building an NA high comp Barra FG Mk 2 XR6
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:35 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2007 Ford Falcon Ute BF MKII

QLD, Australia

Hey mate, I know it was ages ago, but wondering how it went!! Very curious. I have an 07 BF, and want to do sometjing like that

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]