Fordmods Logo

302 Top End Rebuild - yep, another one! 

Page 37 of 38 [ 562 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

Post subject: Re: 302 Top End Rebuild - yep, another one!
Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Not long after Powercruise, we had the heads off and found that I'd popped the head gasket at number 5 cylinder. I was expecting this, because she was slowly going through coolant and was joking with Jeff about blowing a head gasket as we were waiting to go out on the track. I do have pics, I think on my old phone, but loaned it out and need to get it back to load them up...

We pulled the whole engine down and put everything away for safe-keeping. After a lot of thinking, I decided to build a 347 stroker with the parts I had out of the other engine, but fit the Trick Flow top end kit as it was on the 302. I know it isn't designed for a 347, but don't know of anyone whose done it and was interested to see what results I'll get out of it. If I could get into the high 12s with this combo, I'd be stoked. A realistic goal I think, considering I pulled 13.1 out of the 302.

I got an AU 302 block off a mate for bugger all and sent it off to Performance Modifications with the cast crank, I-beams and forged 4.030" Trick Flow pistons I bought from Summit to suit my Twisted Wedge heads, to be machined and balanced. There was also the flywheel and new Powerbond balancer that went for balancing, as well. They also serviced my heads and blasted an Edelbrock RPM II intake that I was fortunate enough to swap for my Trick Flow Street Heat intake.

This swap was the beginning of some changes as far as the top end goes. I was really stuck on cam choice. Seeing as though I'm putting a better intake on the motor, I wanted to be able to take advantage of this. I did heaps and heaps of research, and time and time again, I'd keep coming back to the Trick Flow Stage 1 cam being most suited to these heads. This was going off a couple of desktop dyno type programs, which I didn't feel were all that accurate anyway. I had decided to stick with the TFS1 cam when I decided, stuff it, I'll look into a custom cam. So many Mustangs are running Ed Curtis cams in the US and the owners seem to be really happy with his stuff, so I got in contact with him. I gave him the vehicle specs he required (which were A LOT!) and after about a week he had it all worked out. He recommended I upgrade my springs as well to a set of Lunati GM springs. He said my current springs may be ok, but they'd be borderline. This was the first hint I had that there might be a bit more lift in this cam, as the springs I had fitted were good for up to .600" lift.

Prior to ordering the cam, the machining was complete and I had Paul at Prestige Automotives in Welshpool put the bottom end together for me. He's very particular in the work he does and has built quite a few impressive motors, although most have been for Holdens. I had him install the TFS1 cam as well, as at that time I thought my decision was made.

So, back to that cam...
Last week it arrived. I took it up to Jeff's - out with the old and in with the new. Was hoping to get the timing cover back on, but it turns out the cam bolt for this cam needs to be larger. 7/16" UNC, to be precise. Nothing available locally from ARP, so I just went down to the local fasteners shop and got me a grade 8 one. Will get the old cam washer drilled out, as I can't find a washer thick enough to suit.

Here are a couple of pics of the motor as it stands now...

Next thing on the list of things to do was change the valve springs that I bought off Ed, to suit the cam. I was going to drop the heads off to a workshop to get them done, then I thought of a forum member who does pretty much everything himself and has got some great results out of his work. I'm not sure if he's too active in this forum these days, but his username is ozrunner. I went up to JD's on Wednesday night and he got to changing the springs over. Not a difficult job with the correct tools, just time consuming.

Here are the heads, the front one has the new springs

That's pretty much where she's up to now. Hopefully I'll get up to Jeff's some time soon and be able to spend a solid day on the car and motor. I want to give the engine bay a good clean up while it's empty and depending on how creative I get, I'd love to be able to tidy the wiring up in there as well. Time is the only problem these days as I've been working the weekends and having a day off during the week, which doesn't work out for Jeff, as his only time off is over the weekend.

So, a quick run down of what will be going in:
347 bottom end
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 170cc heads
Edelbrock RPM II intake with phenolic spacer
70mm BBK throttle body and EGR spacer
36lb/hr Accel injectors
MAF, still unsure of
Oh, and that cam...
Lift with 1.7 rockers - Intake .600", Exhaust .595"
Duration @ .050" Tappet Lift - Intake 229*, Exhaust 237*
Lobe seperation - 113*

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Awesome build up so far Scaffy. Reading stuff like this just makes me want to buy an 8 even more lol..

Will be interesting to see how much of a difference the new engine setup will make down the 1/4 :)

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Going to sound nice with that cam and will be very snappy on the street with the 170cc heads as well.....................

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

KWIKXR - Yeah mate, 8s are where it's at! Haha... Nah, I love them and the note they produce, especially when they've had a bit of work done. I can't wait to see how she performs, either. I'm just taking my time though, making sure I do what I can to get everything right.

MICKYYY - That's what I'm hoping, mate!

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Dont worry it will and i can see u can use that cam still if u upgrade the heads to 185cc as well.

What is ur final comp ratio???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Static comp will be around 10.2:1

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 351EBGT-DA22LE Doesn't care!

Power: 275 rwkw

WA, Australia

This is going to be one strong motor Chad!

As you bought Trick Flow pistons to suit your Twisted Wedge heads does that mean when upgrading heads (if you ever do) you will have to stick with TF TW or can AFRs or Edelbrock etc heads be used just out of interest?

1992 EB GT, 418 Windsor on N2O, T56 Magnum! Build Thread

STREETBUILTRACING

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

James, if I were to upgrade heads at any time, I think I would stick with Trick Flow. I'm not too sure of the answer to your question though. Maybe someone else would know.

I've run into a bit of a hurdle at the moment, though. About 4 weeks ago, before I started this last swing, we went to bolt the heads up. Before doing so, with #1 piston at TDC, I noticed it was on the piss. At the rear of the motor, it was about flush with the deck, but at the front it was above the deck by about .015". I then checked all other pistons. They were all level, but around .007 - .010" above the deck. Not happy! I'm not too sure what I should be doing now. I'm going to speak to my mate who put the short motor together, then probably have to go have a chat to the machinists for a please explain. I paid for zero deck, not this...

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:18 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Didn't get Ranch to machine it did you Chad? They f**k my cleveland in a similar manner.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Id ask to buy a new block and machine it again and pay for it to be assembled..........

Should of stuck with your gut feeling and get the short from fordstrokers............

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Didn't get Ranch to machine it did you Chad? They f**k my cleveland in a similar manner.

Not Moose, someone round the corner from him...

The simplest fix would be to mill the piston tops, or alternatively run a 0.050" head gasket such as a Cometic or similar. Very frustrating to have this, its curious though that the pistons are Probes, & I've had the same issue with these pistons in 393 Clevelands ending up exactly the same, 0.006-0.008" out of the bore...

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:36 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Probe....ah well there's the problem.

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I've forgotten to check and update this.

So, my issue with the piston on the p|ss is not really an issue. Just my personal lack of knowledge when it comes to just about anything bottom end. Hey, I'm just a scaffolder! It turns out, with a bit of persuasion, the pistons can be moved around within the bore. Got it sitting flat and it's sitting around .007 proud of the deck, around the same as all of the others. I've got a set of .047" head gaskets to go on, rather than getting the tops of the pistons milled. Money I don't really have to spend right now.

So yes, it does seem to be a common problem with Probes. I got them as they were one of the more readily available to suit my Trick Flow heads. In fact, they're re-branded as Trick Flow.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU3XR8

Good to see you have progress again, have you got it running yet? :lol:

Have you had a chance to look at your gearbox yet Chad?............September is only weeks away!!!

Cheers, Craig.

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Haha! Craig, unfortunately progress is going to be at around the same rate until November when I start a new job on equal time, 3 and 3. I'm currently working in Karratha doing 25 days on and 10 off. My family gets most of my time at home and when I do go down to the workshop, it's to work on other people's cars.

In saying that, I get home tomorrow night and I hope to have the heads bolted down and start looking in to port-matching the lower intake to the heads. Fingers crossed, eh?!

Also, I do look at my gearbox every time I walk in to the shop, but that's going to need a good, solid couple of days to make sure everything goes together as it should. I want that to be a project that starts and doesn't stop until it's finished. It shouldn't take that long, but as we know, things don't always go to plan.

Powercruise... 2012, I'll be there! :D

Sort by  
 Page 37 of 38  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next