Fordmods Logo

A 96 EF GLi Olympic Classic Edition? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Should I fix up the Olympic Classic Edition EF?
Yes! This car is/will be worth lots in the future! 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Nah, use it for parts for your bench seat column shift EL. Make 1 special car from 2! 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Do whatever you like mate! 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
Who gives a sh*t?? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Post subject: A 96 EF GLi Olympic Classic Edition?
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

G'day everyone,

My cars rocked up today as I had to spend the money elsewhere before (for those who don't know, I have another thread called "The Free EL Project").
My face is now hurting from smiling haha, a fantastic feeling getting a new toy to play with.

Anyway, one of the cars is a 1996 Ford Falcon EF GLi "Olympic Classic Edition". Now, as I was born on the tail end of the 90's I've never really known about these Olympic Classic editions before.
Apparently Holden did the same thing with the VT Commodore?

Plan was to use this car as a parts car, but after thinking about this car I have a different opinion:
Good points:
- Its only done 210,000Kms on the clock
- LSD diff
- Good alloys (tyres are bad)
- Fairly new exhaust
- Full service history (also have insurance, rego papers and manuals)
- New air filter
- Tow-ball
- Gearbox is new from 2011
Bad points:
- Bad head gasket
- Bad alternator
- Starter motor shred its teeth
- Rooflining needs work
- No stereo or speakers (this one doesn't really bother me)

Honestly, I really think I'd be quite stupid to use this as a parts car for the EL. Its in fantastic condition all round, no rust and not a scratch on the paint (except for the front bumper). I'm thinking of just using the interior from the white EL (engine and body are completely rooted) in the blue EL, and doing the silver EF seperately. But my question is (at long last lol) how much is the Olympic Classic Edition worth? Should I rego and use the classic as a daily or bubble wrap it and store it in an airtight container? (not literally, but you get what I mean). I'm not going to do anything fancy, I'll keep everything as stock as possible.

Attachment:
3 Cars together smaller file.jpg

Cheers guys,
Sean

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: A 96 EF GLi Olympic Classic Edition?
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

codekracker192 wrote:
But my question is (at long last lol) how much is the Olympic Classic Edition worth? Should I rego and use the classic as a daily or bubble wrap it and store it in an airtight container? (not literally, but you get what I mean). I'm not going to do anything fancy, I'll keep everything as stock as possible.

EF GLi Olympic Classic. worth the same as any other EF of the same condition. Nothing special about them at all.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SWC wrote:
EF GLi Olympic Classic. worth the same as any other EF of the same condition. Nothing special about them at all.

Ah bugger, thought I had something special here for a minute haha. Had a look on the only difference I could find between the standard and olympic classic are the rims. Still a great car in great nick though, I guess I won't be as sad if I end up using it as parts. Maybe I could put in some performance mods lol

What about in the future (Australias next olympics)?

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Yeah, your right there. I just though that the bench seat made it more unique. But the EL body is on its way out, I don't think I can afford to save it in time :(

I'll do up the EF first, then I'll see about the EL. I do prefer the look of the EL, maybe I'll have to pick up a silver EL bumper lol. Head gasket is first tho, then I'll move on to sprucing it up. I picked up my electric window door trims and chrome handles the other day, they need a good clean but they are a bargain for $20. I'll definitely pick up some interior spray paint of the same tan colour.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]