Post subject: Re: Al's EL XR8
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford EL XR8

NSW, Australia

Rang up for a price for a calliper rebuild price for EL GT callipers,
"Sorry, we don't have that make on our records, did you mean AU?"
Haha, can't believe this still happens.

EL XR8 II Manual, Ported GT40P's, E303 cam, Au220TB, 70mm MAF, HiFlo Cats, Tune (215rwkw) and some bigger brakes

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Frigging hopeless Al.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Had a crappy week with my car being tuned, slowly getting there however it's being done on the side so it's taking ages but a lot cheaper.

Anyhow, started pulling apart the EL GT brakes for paint and check.

EL XR8 II Manual, Ported GT40P's, E303 cam, Au220TB, 70mm MAF, HiFlo Cats, Tune (215rwkw) and some bigger brakes

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Engineers mustn't have a problem with the upper caliper mounting hole position.

alby1 wrote:
Rang up for a price for a calliper rebuild price for EL GT callipers,
"Sorry, we don't have that make on our records, did you mean AU?"
Haha, can't believe this still happens.
You're looking for a C4 caliper kit. If they had the AU TE50 listed, that should suit. Otherwise, VN group A V8's too I think.
Corvette's had them too.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:11 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Thanks for that, don't think I'll bother with the rebuild, I'll pull the pads out and check seals but they worked fine when on a car befor.

What do you mean by the upper bolt hole, there a stock item, why would an engineer be concerned?
Unless your referring to the RBS kit?

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Nah, what I'm saying is that it's smack bang right through the middle of the upright. Mind you though, there is cast ridges either side on that underside. I guess even with the hole where it is, those uprights won't break very easy.
Yeah, might be hard to find kits for yours - the mainstream AUII calipers are C5's I'm lead to believe, PBR kit for them is K2471S. The pistons are different diameter too, so I've read. Be nice to pop the pistons to check for pitting/corrosion, probably not wise unless you can get new seals.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Ah yes, I see what you mean, will post some pics up later

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:10 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Al, you can get rebuild kits from the Us easily, they are cheap too with new guide pins and all the seals.

I rebuilt mine a few years ago now, they are C4 calipers, I think the kit cost me about $35 delivered.

I have a car.

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Thanks for that.

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I have my car back, from retune.
my first thought; yep I still love the shape. After chatting with the tuner for a while I got to hear it and straight away it sounds cleaner, hard to describe but smooth, like it wanted to be revved.

My tuner had never used the QH or BE before so he was learning as he went, I knew this up front as I popped in a few times before I booked it in to show him the program and QH and he said it should be fine as long as I could wait as he nutted it out. NO PROB’S.
I believe he was taking a while getting BE to work so he jumped straight onto TunerPro to get something happening, all was good, than for no reason it was jumping in closed loop mode and running really rich, all through the rev range.
Im not sure how but he gave BE another go from scratch and got it working good, he really liked the program and will use it again.
Throughout tuning it was discovered that my MAF would max out at 3500 rpm approx., after that was replaced, my coils would die at 3700rpm, and also the TFI from the new dizzy was replaced with the stock unit which cleaned up everything else( I’ve heard there are different types and need to be matched correctly). So, If I did try to tune this thing, I think it would be a pile at the bottom of a mountain somewhere, as I would of lost it.

First thoughts driving; (remember, I’d been driving a barina for three weeks)
My god this clutch is heavy, Wow, suspension is solid, holy hell, this has power.
It definitely feels smoother, I havn’t hit WOT yet as, well It was raining, but it will come.
PICS.

Dyno before retune

New tune, new exhaust fitted in between this time aswell

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Been a hard 3 weeks

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Just looking into which chip to replace the QH with, I don't want the battery dying when on a family holiday

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Nice pickup of 32 horses from a tune and the exhaust.
I think I know where Ill be heading once the Maverick is running. DO you mind shooting me a PM with what the price roughly is?
The tune can be flashed to a standard Moates chip if you want so you don't have the QH connected.
The problem with them going flat was just a bad batch.
If you want to flash the tune to a standard J3 I have the burner and that here I can send down to you so your tuner can use it if it helps.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I can definately reccomend him, prob best to ask how long it may take him incase yôur in a rush.

Cheers for that info, bad batch or not, it will be coming out, I can't have that risk in my "family" car I'll hang onto it though incase further tuning is required.

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Nice car... I remember briefly talking ford forums about big brakes once before and I think you were chatting in there too about your RBS system... :? If the kit is worth $2300 brand new, what is worth second hand to you... I was considering doing my own thing with big brakes one day... Yours retains E series offset yeah? And do they use they AU floating disc or the EL GT disc? Do they come with some sort of certificate from RBS saying that it is their kit (did RBS have any approvals on the kit)?

How'd the pedal feel with the AU calipers? I've read that because of the dual pistons they E series cars go a bit spongy feeling in the pedal?

Interesting about Ray's thoughts on the EL GT uprights... I always wondered how Ford managed to pass that with the hole there too... With that in mine, getting aftermarket kits engineered should be no worries...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next