Fordmods Logo

All show and no go???? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: All show and no go????
Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:32 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NL Fairlane. 5 liters of Fun!

NSW, Australia

Hi there. Erm let's see. Well i'm looking for some advice/suggestions. See, my "family" car is a FG XT with the E-Gas motor. Was just outside having a coffin nail, looking at my car and i thought "F**k it!!!!". Am thinking i should hunt down the up-specced stereo/control unit, leather interior, lower it, nice rims, etc. basically make it all show and no go, then *MAYBE* Play with the drivetrain at a later date. (Am thinking a turbo setup would be fun!). basically make it a tidy cruiser, and get an x-series (Or early E-Series) to do up as a beast. At the moment it's bog-stock apart from the 17" XR Alloys. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: All show and no go????
Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

by the time you do it all up with the better gear you would spend the same amount probably more than what an fg g6 turbo with all the best of the best is worth mate, ive been in an fg g6turbo they pump hard and are quite comfortable with all the leather etc, you would be best off selling yours buying a g6 turbo and then you have a fast comfortable cruiser

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:55 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Actually had a look at an XR6 a few weeks ago (Non-Turbo). Only problem is that the missus wanted me to trade on a wagon (From the *WRONG* Brand). mind you, she did look at the XR (It was in that funky pastel(ish) blue), and said "That car is Soo you!". As to the FG, part of it is cause it is has the E-Gas motor, and part of it is 'cause it's just a really nice car to drive. Ah, F**k it!!!! Might have a look at the XR Turbos and see what happens.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

or why dont you just keep the egas if you love it and buy an older car to do up, and leave the fg standard, get an ef or something, and keep it as a weekender and throw some cash at it, wheels, turbo kit, suspension and youd have a nice e series with some balls.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
I would trade up to something sporty.

Trust me, if was all show, eventually you would want the power to justify the looks.

As Bry said, maybe spend on a e-series and do that up.

Nothing is more funnier then seeing a P-Plater in a done up car that can get thrashed by a Datson 120Y or some soccer mum in a normal SUV. Hint.

or a ke70 corrolla with a v6 comi (eww) engine and supercharger and 4 speed auto, still granny spec on the outside and inside except under the hood hahaha

BF XR6

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:00 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Better off spending the coin on an A series, alot more compatable parts of the B and F cars meaning much larger variety and cheaper prices. look at wheel, suspension and brake options alone.

Throw a snort kit on it wo wake it up, a true trax diff in the a**, even after the purchase, you would have more coin in your pocket than if you attempted the same exercise with a E series.

Brakes on e series is the biggest killer, everything else can be had quite cheap, But as far as bolt on uprated brakes go, AU has it on E series.

If you can get past the looks of an A series that is :D

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1995 EF Falcon

SA, Australia

man you guys are cruel lol, an FG blown away by a 120Y lmao, well not quite maybe :P

The reverse has happened to me, ive been annihilated by a s**t 70's chrysler covered in dents and primer, mismatched mags and what have you with mental 440 Hemi in it.

South Australia.. Heaps good.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

uniacidz wrote:
Double post

But will add, SUV drivers and hilux/navara drivers just as bad. Some reason they think their 45k cars designed for transport and working will flog every car on the road.

this is very true i was following a mate out to his shed to pickup a boss bonnet bulge off him the otherday and he drives a hilux and was going at 150KM/hr

and to add to the convo my car is currently all shown n no go
only due to p plater laws though :(
but still goes pretty good :)

but ya its true once you have the looks you want the power to back it up

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Double post

But will add, SUV drivers and hilux/navara drivers just as bad. Some reason they think their 45k cars designed for transport and working will flog every car on the road.

or C**k heads in little ford xr4 fiestas, some bloke thought he beat me today in one on his way to work, i thought f**k yeh get a red light next ill show you wat a 15 year old car can do against your tin can ,but he turned off and went to work haha,

BF XR6

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

haha. like my povo pack XT.
not very many people even know ther was some v8s made. the only giveaway is the exhaust noise when i go flyin past em. haha.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
As Bry said, maybe spend on a e-series and do that up.

Nothing is more funnier then seeing a P-Plater in a done up car that can get thrashed by a Datson 120Y or some soccer mum in a normal SUV. Hint.

LOL Yeah, seen that happen, and even did it myself on a little 250 roadbike i used to have. E-Series is one option, but being as old as i am, i'm thinking a little older (X-Series, D-F) if i can find one i can afford. Got a few ideas i'm tossing around. Will see what happens i guess. Might have a chat with the lads at the Panorama cruise

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
Better off spending the coin on an A series, alot more compatable parts of the B and F cars meaning much larger variety and cheaper prices. look at wheel, suspension and brake options alone.

i hear ya on the looks of the A-Series. The missus has an AU XR6. The A-series don't look too bad as long as ya running an XR, or a fairlaine. std body? Ewwwwwwww!!!

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Povvo_XT wrote:
dc_todd wrote:

i hear ya on the looks of the A-Series. The missus has an AU XR6. The A-series don't look too bad as long as ya running an XR, or a fairlaine. std body? Ewwwwwwww!!!

they look like a beached whale in white or silver

BF XR6

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

Maybe trade up to the new Egas FG MKII... LPi even quicker than the XR6 Petrol Variant.

I am pretty sure with a tune and some mods it will fly and best of all still cheap to run....
198kw at the flywheel can be improved on I am sure.....

Win Win all round......

From Carsales....

As part of the drive program, Ford set up two outwardly identical XR6 Falcons for a drag at the Broadford racing circuit north of Melbourne. For the first run, the writer drove the anonymous LPI version (car #2) and found it to be substantially faster than the petrol variant. Forget about launching the car, since the ability of individual drivers and a slightly wet track could result in different outcomes, but the LPI Falcon would progressively haul away from the petrol car on the move. It was a fairly clear demonstration of the LPI Falcon's capacity to embarrass its petrol counterpart.

Sitting in the cabin there was little sense of separation between the two cars (LPI and petrol), although the LPI car's added torque below 2000rpm seemed to be the element that conferred that car's performance advantage at launch and lower speeds. Drivers could simply roll onto the throttle, feed in the torque and avoid loss of traction.

We only had one run in each car and there was little time to learn the intricacies of exploiting each car's performance, but the results were plain enough. According to Ford's PR team, the LPI version won every time out of the 14 races, which is no mean feat given the potential for variation among the drivers.

Out on the road, while overtaking, the LPI Falcon delivered the sort of power and torque that would have been the preserve of Windsor V8s in the days of the AU Series Fords -- about 10 years ago. There's effortless acceleration on part throttle, but pushing the pedal all the way to the floor really delivers in a linear way, right across the rev range. It's unrelentingly strong from zero revs through the mid-range into the peaky area around the redline. At least part of that must be due to the FG engine's split-plenum inlet manifold and the transmission's six forward ratios for optimum performance. Words like 'forceful' and 'dramatic' trickled into the driver's mind as the Falcon jetted past slower cars.

Out on the road, the fuel consumption figures from the Falcons' own trip computers suggest that the sort of flogging they were receiving wasn't helping fuel economy, naturally. Ford claims that the combined-cycle figure for the EcoLPI models is 12.6L/100km -- or 12.5L/100km for the Falcon XT -- but we were struggling to see better than 13.2L/100km in even the best case. The Falcon G6E we drove last of all was hovering up around 18.5L/100km (and that figure was already registered before the motoring.com.au correspondents drove it!).

Of course, those figures must be considered in the context of journalists enjoying 198kW of power under foot. If you're not a boy racer type, be assured you'll achieve better figures, but the point about the EcoLPI Falcon that's worth remembering is this: It is a car to suit boy racers!

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

chris sieclay wrote:
man you guys are cruel lol, an FG blown away by a 120Y lmao, well not quite maybe :P

The reverse has happened to me, ive been annihilated by a s**t 70's chrysler covered in dents and primer, mismatched mags and what have you with mental 440 Hemi in it.

A 440 hemi????? Hemi's were 331, 392 or 426 . 440's were wedges.

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next