BA XR6 Turbo 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: BA XR6 Turbo
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

That's the spirit mate.. too much of a loss to sell and start again. More worthwhile hanging onto IMO.

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:42 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 03 ba xr6

VIC, Australia

Arrgghhhh...... so thats what an external gate setup looks like on a ba.. Geez thats completely different to how i had to do it.. Maybe thats the mystery powerloss??. I had to do a lot of rootin around fitting up my external gate undernieth my car, undernieth that triangle piece near the steering shaft, an run a pipe from the gate across to my exhaust before the cat... I have a To4e turbo with a snort manifold, i carnt wait im so close to finishing mine soon, have u got a screamer pipe made up for your gate?? does this setup make them sound any tuffer then normal xr6t??

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 07 xr5 mondeo

NSW, Australia

Yeah Sonic there is a screamer pipe on it, about 6" long aimed toward to ground from the wastegate outlet..

To be honest it scared the crap outta me when the gate cracked open the first time :shock: but so so good ahah! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

If it moves, weld it down!
It if doesn't move and should, get a bigger hammer!

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

:lol: haha sweet as man!!!
Well id like to put up sum picks of my set up, but carnt for sum reason??
I wish i had gone the standard xr6turbo setup for alot less rootin round!! lol
I to have an external gate setup on me Ba xr6 (converting to a turbo setup)..
But wat ive got is a stage 3 snort performance kit, manifold, to4e, etc etc. What i had to do with my setup (cos the turbo is high mounted), run 3" dump, then to 2.5" pipe besides the bellhousing then through a 2.5"cat an so on.. but with my waste gate set up, i had to plum up a setup off the side of my manifold along the chassie then under that C**T of a triangle piece near firewall an steerin shaft an put my 50mm gate under that, then plum up a pipe across to the 2.5" dump pipe (which i jus finish makin tonight.. I was really hoping to be able to run a screamer pipe off the gate :D but dont think they'll be anuff room between the gate an dump pipe.. at this stage jus want everthing to match up and work!! lol..
I'll try get sum photos soon ta show every1 with a ba of anther way of doing it, but seems i took the hard way haha.. was it a big job on welding the external gate pipe on the turbo?? howd ya do it?? did ya use the gas for makin the hole then jus weld it on?

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:27 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

rizzo wrote:
ok fellas since was requested an update is here to serve.... :wink:

Had the xr dyno tuned with nothign changed from the above and the results were....infuriating to say the least...
It managed to only pull a shamefull 170 something kw at the rears, same tune as before, same equipment which lead to me starting to tear chunks of my hair out :evil: trying to know where the other HALF odd of my supposed power had gone...

So long story short I cracked the s***s hard and work began again..

With Chris for RAPID Systems we tore the Jaffa apart in his garage, fitted up a 3.5" custom dump and exhaust to the diff then split it to stock twin size over the diff for easy of installation and to quiet it down, WAY TOO NOISEY 3.5" straight through!! :| :|

Ryan

Jus alittle sumthing i found on external gates man.. hopefully help u an me with our exernal wastegate setup..

Normally pressure from a spooling turbo pushes against the diaphragm (though the vacuum line attached to the compressor reference port) which in turn pushes against the wastegate spring. When the pressure from the spooling turbo exceeds the spring pressure the wastegate's plunger opens releasing the excess pressure through the dump tube into the exhaust after the turbo or to open atmosphere. Typically, if you use the wastegate to control your boost levels you will experience a decrease in power and spool times. Why? Although the spring fully opens at its set spring pressure it tends to begin opening before reaching the set spring pressure. This "pre-opening" leaks boost pressure through the dump tube before max boost pressure is reached resulting in a decrease in power mostly toward the top end. This can be corrected by using a boost controller.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 07 xr5 mondeo

NSW, Australia

aka Waste Gate creep....

If it moves, weld it down!
It if doesn't move and should, get a bigger hammer!

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:28 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Yea ya ryte there rizzo!!

Guess i'll add a boost controler now to my list of things i need. :wink:

Ive gone with the setup that you've down an added the external gate off ya turbo exhaust housing.. Did u gas a hole in your exhaust housing an weld the pipe off it??..
Im gunna copy your design as i dont see really any other way of fitting the external gate with the snort high rise manifold..
have ya got a boost controler yet, have ya had ya car back on the dyno?

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

Still got it man? What's the latest, is it running?

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Xr6 turbo

NSW, Australia

Hey where did you get your screamer pipe from and how much was it looking to get one for my xr6t

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2