Fordmods Logo

BA XR8 Ute Disapointment... 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: BA XR8 Ute Disapointment...
Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey Guy's I’m new here as this is my first Ford, a black 2004 BA XR8 Ute that I bought as of Dec 08, but since Ive had the Ute ive been having some problems that are becoming very frustrating.
I had the vehicle serviced two weeks ago and told the guys at the Ford dealer to check everything as I didn’t know its service history, so they performed a 90000kms service and they found the following problems/recommendations but never really gave a decent explanation of what to do,

I was told the following -

- Diff is noisy and I was told there was a bolt missing from the diff flange and grease had thrown out of the rear C/V joint onto the tail shaft – well I can’t hear any noises and if there was a bolt missing why wasn’t it replaced?
- Left hand front engine mount broken – but I wasn’t given an explanation
- Right hand front Ball joint worn – again no explanation
- Left hand front tyre worn on inside - again no explanation of how bad
- Power steering found noisy and leaking and it is recommended that it be replace in future
- I told them that at times the motor is excessively noisy on idle, there response was slight overhead cam and valve train noise also power steering noisy – my concern is the last time I had a similar noise I had the heads replaced on my commodore!
- I told them that I have been having a problem with 2nd gear jumping out sometimes, they told me they couldn’t find the fault during a test, ive also had trouble engaging reverse as well

Im also getting a little annoyed that the Boss motor has no balls under 2000rpm, are there any decent mods to getting it moving along a bit quicker?

And to top it all off, I had the Ute only 6 days when a dog run out in front and caused the damage you see below, ah cars can be so much fun! :cry:

Im hoping that someone here can shed a little light on these problems as im not that mechanically minded plus I don’t know a lot about problem with falcons and the Boss V8, The Ute is it very good condition and looks great 8-) but these problems are really starting to get me down please help!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by walshy05 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

A few more pictures

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: BA XR8 Ute Disapointment...
Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

The boss V8 will always feel dead down low, even when you spend some money on it because the top end on these engines are great in comparison. The ECU takes a bit of torque out down low to preserve the clutch so a flash tune can overcome this plus there are the usual mods such as a good cold air intake and a decent exhaust. Does yours have the six speed manual?

I know my cammed windsor makes my BA feel dead down low but the BA leaves it for dead 80% of the time.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

the jumping out of 2nd is common. Ford replace the gear lever boot to a more solid one to hold it there better. Diffs are another weak point. Bearings fail early. Just wait til it's very noisy before you touch it. Ball joints are common too to have excessive play. Engine noise at start up is the chain tensioners in the front of motor.

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 158 rwkw

bout standard for that km! i'd say it had a hard life too cause not many xr8's get p***y footed!

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

banarcus wrote:
Does yours have the six speed manual?

Its a series 1, 5 speed manual

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

eboost wrote:
Engine noise at start up is the chain tensioners in the front of motor.

A friend of the family who used to have an XR8 ute did say that this could be the problem, and thanks for the advice, its really appreciated!

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

for the down low power - blower! :twisted:

and with it jumping out of second gear, cant that be related to the broken engine mount? as it allows the engine/gearbox to move around too much

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:23 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF XR6 Ute

NSW, Australia

yeah, get ECU flashed to get rid of torque protection. but you should understand Ford have torque protection for a reason

BF XR6 Ute,ED XR6 Manual (SOLD),XD 4V 351 toploader 9in

Zoom and Extreme magazines Production Editor

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:04 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

walshy05 wrote:
1 Diff is noisy and I was told there was a bolt missing from the diff flange and grease had thrown out of the rear C/V joint onto the tail shaft – well I can’t hear any noises and if there was a bolt missing why wasn’t it replaced?
2 Left hand front engine mount broken – but I wasn’t given an explanation
3 Right hand front Ball joint worn – again no explanation
4 Left hand front tyre worn on inside - again no explanation of how bad
5 Power steering found noisy and leaking and it is recommended that it be replace in future
6 I told them that at times the motor is excessively noisy on idle, there response was slight overhead cam and valve train noise also power steering noisy – my concern is the last time I had a similar noise I had the heads replaced on my commodore!
7 I told them that I have been having a problem with 2nd gear jumping out sometimes, they told me they couldn’t find the fault during a test, ive also had trouble engaging reverse as well

8 Im also getting a little annoyed that the Boss motor has no balls under 2000rpm, are there any decent mods to getting it moving along a bit quicker?

9 And to top it all off, I had the Ute only 6 days when a dog run out in front and caused the damage you see below, ah cars can be so much fun! :cry:

Im hoping that someone here can shed a little light on these problems as im not that mechanically minded plus I don’t know a lot about problem with falcons and the Boss V8, The Ute is it very good condition and looks great 8-) but these problems are really starting to get me down please help!

1 If it's still under warranty get it fixed, it's a known quality control problem.
2 Driven hard previously, you'll need to get it replaced.
3 Normal wear and tear, get it replaced.
4 Bad/no wheel alignment, get the alignment fixed.
5 Again if under warranty get them to replace it.
6 Timing chain tensioners, again a warranty job.
7 Dynno about second, check fluid levels to fix up reverse.
8 As already said, it's not that it's gutless, it just that when the cams kick in it's so much better.
9 Sorry to hear.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the responses,
The ute is an 04' model and I think the original ford warranty is 3 years, so I would say that it has expired, and i dont have any paper work to say that there was any extended warranty. All though I have heard of people still having part of the repair costs paid for on known factory problems/faults even after the warranty has expired.

With checking the in relation to the gear box fluid, im fairly sure they did say that they had check the fluid levels and that they were fine

If someone could also give an estimate for the cost on some of these items it would be appreciated

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF GT, EL Xr, Xp mont, 4runner

Power: 137 rwkw

NSW, Australia

yeh, as data said about the diffs with quality control problems. We used to service 3 ba xr8 utes for a customer and all had noisy diffs. They went back to ford for warranty, but still came back with the same noises. If youve got the dosh, a 9" would be a nice choice

84 4runner.......needs boost
El xr6.....needs dohc boost
Xp fairmont......needs boosted 8
Bf GT......cant afford boost no more

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:58 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

XPFalcon170 wrote:
If youve got the dosh, a 9" would be a nice choice

No it wouldn't. Heavy, suck power, and expensive.

If it's not warrantable, get it built by a real diff workshop, once built right there'll be no problem.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nearly 100 percent of the time it's the bearings that go noisy. Never the gears, so i don't see how it's the builder's fault. It's not the way ford build them, it's the oil they come with from factory. It causes the bearings to pit.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hey mate, if your looking for someone to do the work on your ute, i can do it at home at dealership quality for cheap. Let us know if your interested. I could do the tensioner's, diff, ball joint and maybe other.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next