Page 17 of 18 [ 260 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post subject: Re: banarcus' ED Fairmont V8 wagon
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Did you work at Teasdales macca?

I've looked at a few and a quick search on ebay for the usual consumables are priced favourably compared to some windsor specific falcon parts. Other bits are a little bit rich.

Looking at a low km 2004 model with an extended warranty for peace of mind. 2003 and 04 D2s had the centre diff lock, thanks for the heads up.

I just cannot bring myself to buy japanese but I understand what you are saying. Actually, your last post about the central locking was interesting becuase one of the cars I rang about today had that issue, plus no services within the last 12 months. Sydney car too.

My bodgy back means that I need something a little higher off the ground than what I have got plus whatever I replace the station wagon with has to tow and have a V8. A bit of off road ability is also preferable. I wouldn't mind having a play on Stockton beach. My wife has a soft spot for Discovery 2s and 3s too.

My father-in-law in Queensland has a TD5 and apart from the 3 amigo problem, has been faultless over the last 6 years.

All in all, I appreciate the advice you have offered. Being in the workshop, you would know what the problems are with these. On that note, I should also invest in a OBD II reader too :)

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Give me a jap 4x4 any day over a Rover.
Know a couple of people with them and they are the biggest piles of expensive Pommy junk around. Only slightly better then an old Jaguar.
A guy I know who is actually a Rover nut summed it up for me.

"Rovers ideas and technology are absolutely awesome and well ahead of their time. The Japanese could not think of half of the brilliant ideas that make a Rover. So Rover should have done the designs and then licenced the build to the Japs. Then the car would be reliable and all the ideas would actually work and function as designed."

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

NCIILANE wrote:
So I take it you don't like Land Rovers eh! :P

Nah there is a difference, I don't like Holdens, personal preference, there is plenty of things out there to worse to work on than Land Rover, Nissan Patrols are far worse to work on in many cases, just the difference you don't have to work on them all the time and there is fixes instead of just patch ups.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
Did you work at Teasdales macca?

Yep, and many of my good mates have worked there too, it isn't Teasdales any more.
Good choice in a lot of ways wanting a V8, many of the update S2 models (about 2004, the ones with fancy headlights) with TD5's had problems with fuel dilation due to injectors leaking, no idea why the drongos decided to change the injector design, glad to hear your inlaws are one of the lucky ones.
I can understand you with your back, it would be one of the best for comfort, Defenders would be the worse, not suspension, just seating design.

When you are on a trip remember to take things like a idler pulley tensioner and drive belt, they are available aftermarket but many autoparts stores will not have them available to them and you could have a long wait in the middle of nowhere.

When you get it send me a msg and we can go out for the day at Stockton, you should eat me on the beach.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well the Land Rover has arrived and guess what, it already has a problem! I suspect a leaking LH airbag causing the car to sag when it's parked. I'm not too dirty about it as I have the statutory 3 month warranty and extended 3 years after that.

I've got three cars on the property now and the wagon is on the hit list. I gave it a detail yesterday and a service and it looks great and still sounds the goods. Sad to say that it's going to be sold soon. That will be a sad sort of day.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Pity it's not still manual Mark, I would have had some fun trying to convince the missus to add to our ever increasing collection of Cardinal Red LWB's, but she has her heart set on an AU XR :roll:

Hope she goes to a good home mate, she deffinately deserves to go to someone who will give her the attention and care she is use to.

BTW, you still want that Fire Screen? I was up at Kurri Hospital for work yesterday and it reminded me. Will be back up that way again next week or I am also off to Cessnock tommorow to do a job in the arvo, so if you will be home, give me a bell and I'll drop it off for ya :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Mick

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
Well the Land Rover has arrived and guess what, it already has a problem! I suspect a leaking LH airbag causing the car to sag when it's parked. I'm not too dirty about it as I have the statutory 3 month warranty and extended 3 years after that.

I've got three cars on the property now and the wagon is on the hit list. I gave it a detail yesterday and a service and it looks great and still sounds the goods. Sad to say that it's going to be sold soon. That will be a sad sort of day.

Get the bag done way before the 3 months is up, as a lot of the 3yr warranties are a pain in the backside.
That way if it is air relay related you might end up with a new pump assembly not a second hand one like a lot of those extended warranties would try to provide.
Did you get the extra remote that will drop the rear to make it easy to fit a trailer, it looks nothing like the normal remote.
Spill the beans, full detail, auto or manual, electronic anti sway bar etc.
Buy a diag setup for your laptop and make friends with a fellow V8 owner of the same model, trust me it will save some headaches.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

edit: comment nothing useful

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

NCIILANE wrote:
Pity it's not still manual Mark, I would have had some fun trying to convince the missus to add to our ever increasing collection of Cardinal Red LWB's, but she has her heart set on an AU XR :roll:

Hope she goes to a good home mate, she deffinately deserves to go to someone who will give her the attention and care she is use to.

BTW, you still want that Fire Screen? I was up at Kurri Hospital for work yesterday and it reminded me. Will be back up that way again next week or I am also off to Cessnock tommorow to do a job in the arvo, so if you will be home, give me a bell and I'll drop it off for ya :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Mick

Thanks Mick, I've got work tomorrow but might be getting an early mark, if I do, I'll give you a call.

Macca wrote:
Get the bag done way before the 3 months is up, as a lot of the 3yr warranties are a pain in the backside.
That way if it is air relay related you might end up with a new pump assembly not a second hand one like a lot of those extended warranties would try to provide.
Did you get the extra remote that will drop the rear to make it easy to fit a trailer, it looks nothing like the normal remote.
Spill the beans, full detail, auto or manual, electronic anti sway bar etc.
Buy a diag setup for your laptop and make friends with a fellow V8 owner of the same model, trust me it will save some headaches.

2002 Discovery HSE V8. It is black, twin sunroofs, aircon front and back, leather, DVD, Harman Kardon sound system, ZF auto, active cornering(hydraulic sway bars?) centre diff lock, alarm, powered front seats, CD stacker, 125000km.

I'm looking at different OBD II setups for the electronic heads up. There are a few different things out there which is good.

FordFairmont wrote:
he has a problem buying quality "Jap" models, but prefers a s**t thats well known to cause non-stop headaches ??? :|

Who is this directed at? Wrong thread young fella.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Pics!

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
2002 Discovery HSE V8. It is black, twin sunroofs, aircon front and back, leather, DVD, Harman Kardon sound system, ZF auto, active cornering(hydraulic sway bars?) centre diff lock, alarm, powered front seats, CD stacker, 125000km.

I'm looking at different OBD II setups for the electronic heads up. There are a few different things out there which is good.

That would look sweet, yeah "Active Cornering Enhancement" (ACE) is what I forgot the name of, one of the very few mechanical things I didn't see fail and worth the money, I liked the airbags but I saw to many failures and costs.
You might be glad to know the CD stacker can be replace or used to be able to be replaced with some Sony 10 stackers to replace the 6 stacker, like any factory stacker they fail like any other brand, especially how they are mounted under the seat and end up with a lot of dust in them.
That was an awesome sound system for their day.
I never saw to many HSE's, probably due to the $80k+ onroad costs.

banarcus wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:
he has a problem buying quality "Jap" models, but prefers a s**t thats well known to cause non-stop headaches ??? :|

LOL steady on Mark, toughen up as you will need to get used to this, only other LR lovers (read looneys) will fully understand.

One of the older mechanics I worked with, told this bloke while working on a Discovery that he has no idea how anyone could own one, they should all be burnt, the bloke was one of those LR nuts and funnier still it was his car.

Personally the only mechanics that loved them I know would be the current service manager for Singleton Automotive (used to be Teasdales) and his brother, it takes a certain sort of person to love them, I more understand owners that love offroad than dills that don't even go offroad.

Last edited by Macca on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

banarcus wrote:

sorry mate, ive just realized nearly every one of my posts lately are stirring the pot, or having a go.

every now and then, i must remind myself to pull my head in !!! :oops:

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Excuse the low rent photos from my mobile:

I should harden up a bit and start getting used to the LR jokes :)

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon Monti

NSW, Australia

did'nt take you long to lower it didnt ya? :lol:

BANNED USER

Sort by  
 Page 17 of 18  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next