Fordmods Logo

BenJ's EB DOHC T5 Ghia Wagon 

Page 4 of 201 [ 3004 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 201  Next

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Thanks all for the advice. I will be removing the extra leaf from the springs.

Fiend.

There is nothing at all wrong with the tow set up. I just don't do any heavy towing. I will put a std tow set up on as I do have a box trailer I use on occasion.

The whole set up is quite heavy and needed two of us to put it in the trailer. Removing the tow bar and the child seat subtracted a substantial amount of weight from the rear, hence the change in ride height.

Foggy

The plan is for the wagon to replace my sedan, so any previous plans I had for the sedan will go ahead on the wagon at some stage.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Last edited by BenJ on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

BenJ,

It is sad to see & read about the demise of your red beast, but i'm sure your "back in black" wagon will become a sexy beast of it's own, and be a better family car.

Man, i remember when i bought my EB 2 Ghia 4 years ago, my g/f was at me to get a wagon. I really didn't want a wagon at the time, so i bought the sedan, thinking i would have my panel van done by sometime in 2005 to haul crap around in when required, but that didn't happen & there has been a few times i'd have loved a wagon. But my pano is rather close to being done now. I guess it will justify keeping it, along with all my other car's, so i have a car to haul crap around with. :twisted:

Can't wait to see the wagon evolve.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Enough photo shops, do some mods
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

Ben, I am jealous! Not only have you bought your wagon after me but you will also do all the mods before me! No fair! :) One thing I suppose though is that I will have another wagon to get ideas from!

Carry on McDuff, will be watching this thread with great interest.....

Cheers
RD

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

True about the wieght I suppose - never had mine off entirely, but wouldn't think it'd be more than 30kg or so. Each side leaf spring is actually more than that on my car! Hehehe... Fuel economy? Hehehe.

Tell you what, having all that heavy steel low down beneath the rotation point of wheel (hub centre) could actually be considered a "cheat" in UTE racing.
:roll:

All good - I note you're still not mentioning anything regarding adding a leaf out of a one tonne. You could use the top off the current setup and add the two next ones in exchange for the current second one. Get the best of both worlds maybe? Just how fast do you want to go around corners with any control? Sway bar? What were those bars called that went from diff to under side of car to prevent car body moving sideways when axle stays still around corners? Night night - Top Gear may not be on, but HOUSE is.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
They are just overriders for weight, can be deleted if you so feel
Brett

+1

what brett said they are overriders to help support the rear end from sagging, i am thinking some where along the line ya wagon towed a caraven or something

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hi All

Me Again.

Some of you may remember that I have another box car here. This one was also picked up cheap off Ebay for the princely sum of $377. It is a Polynesian Green ED Fairmont Ghia. The engine and box are in great condition, and is going to be donated to the Wagon.

A pic of the 3 cars.

The ED Ghia being prepared to have the engine removed.

The seats in my Red Sedan came out of this car.

The plan now is to get the Wagon driveable. This will enable me to ensure that all facets of the Wagon are in good servicable order.

While I wanted to put the EL engine in the Wagon, that would have left me with only the Wagon as my sole means of transport. And at this point I don't trust the Wagon to not let me down. This way, my Red Sedan will still be on the road, while the Wagon undergoes testing. The LPG wiring is all over the place and I still have to get it working on Petrol.

The ED Ghia is my wifes car. She wants to keep it, so the drive train from the Red Sedan may end up in the ED Ghia. I guess we will see what actually happens in the end.

So far the front bumper bar has been removed as it was too low for the engine crane to get under, and the tail shaft is unbolted.

I will update as the engine change progresses.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

As far as wagons go, a black ghia is pretty sweet, but god i hate wagons.

This thread breaks my heart! A gorgeous ED Ghia that id love, and your red ed getting molested for an old wagon.... :(

Id put all the good bits of the red one into the Ghia sedan, but I know you need a wagon.

That said, im sure you will have it looking (and driving) pretty damn nice soon, your work on the Red ED was impressive. Goodluck with it all :D

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:47 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

wow..
a slight change in plan mate...

that does sound like the best way to do it.
atleast you wont be stuck without transport..

let us know if you need a hand??
when are you planing pull the engine out.. :)

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

Sounds like a plan there Ben, better to be safe than sorry. Give me a yell if you need a hand at all with the engine change, I am an old hand at it now :)

Cheers
RD

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Hey BENJ, sorry to drag you out from under your Polynesian box, but the rear seats are different from wagon to sedan (maybe this is nothing new to you guys who have been playing with cars for longer than six months). Tried putting some real nice Fairmont ones into wagon and took one look at the supporting brackets and the angle of the floorpan and gave the rear seat to NZEA for his Box Mont instead. Still to find out if he got them in. You could do it if you have really A CLASS rear seats you want to keep, but would take a day or two at a guess. The rear doors are slightly different too.

Maybe there's a tech doc?! Hah, whatever. At least the carpet fits the same...

After all your efforts getting this and that to fit already am sure it's easily within the realms of possibility.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hi Fiend

Thank you for your tips. I was already aware of the differences between the sedan and wagon in regard to the seats and the doors. The seats can be done. You have to strip the covers etc of the frames and swapping it over.

As for the carpet, as far as I know they are also different due to the longer wheelbase. I would be delighted to be proven wrong as it would mean one less thing to acquire for the interior conversion.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

mod the sprint kit off the sedan for the waggin :)

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Dude - I got the carpet to sit straight in (slightly stretched around the penetrations for the rear seat to clip into mind you, but she went in with no real modifying. Thought you'd be onto it already. Just chewing ya ear off as normal... Lend me an ear? Unlike Mike Tyson, I might not give it back.

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Small update.

The engine and auto are out of the ED Ghia. Thanks to Racedirector who dropped around and gave me a hand.

Then we towed the ED up the drive and pushed it to where the wagon is in the background of the first pic.

The wagon now sits waiting for me to start pulling out the engine and box. Racedirector and I did remove the clutch fan already. I have lined up some thermo fans to go in, and am trying to gather the parts for a Serpentine Belt conversion. I noted that the radiator in the Wagon is a Natrad job and was installed mid 2006 according to the label.

Would you believe that the wagon with its HUGE towing setup didn't have an auto cooler? I have borrowed the auto cooler off the ED Ghia so the auto can cope with my driving. LOL

Now, those of you who followed my EB Budget Buildup thread, may remember some work I had planned regarding an old bonnet. Well the good news is, work is progressing steadily. Paulc of South West Customs is doing a fabulous job. I grabbed a couple of pics. I am quite excited!!!

This is going to look AWESOME in black on the wagon!!!!!

Cheers
BenJ

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 201  [ 3004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 201  Next