Fordmods Logo

Benno the Viking's EL 

Page 9 of 12 [ 166 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post subject: Re: Benno the Viking's EL
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL GLi

A mate of mine bought a 2011 GS500 the other day! Great bikes from his testimony.

I probably will be heading back up north this Friday if all goes to plan, if I can get work and uni stuff sorted out.

I didn't check the heater tap...I will go and do it now. I am stumped...I suspect it's the ICS, or my idle is set too high and the ICS is only going on sometimes - not sure if that can happen but I'll rip the ICS plug off and see if it will idle or not.

Build Thread

the-garage-f53/benno-the-viking-s-el-t111731.html

Ain't nuthin' to it but do it!

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef falon + xk falcon

QLD, Australia

yeah i love my gs500 starting to want abit more power though (as usual haha)

ok if your going to be here saturday i will be at maryborough for the sound comp i told you about a while ago

and yeah i am abit unsure why it would idle funny even though everything seems to be working ..... im going to fix mine with a big cam and just disconnect the ICS haha

i hate it when its raining, makes my left foot slip off the clutch all the time

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

:lol: Same for my mate. Good resale value on them though because they are LAMs bikes.

Sweet dude, I'll have to see what I'm doing on Saturday and might head along to the comp. Last weekend I was only up for like 1 night so it was too short a visit.

Yep, I wanna 'fix' mine with a Wade 1521a and my manual gearbox. :lol:

Also the bike I'm looking at tomorrow is a grey import GSXR400. 2 problems with that: it's not LAMs approved and it might be physically too small for me to ride. What I really want is an XR650R, but those things are real expensive. A DR650 would be a nice compromise.

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

A bit of drama with the falcon. I reversed it out of the driveway last night and noticed the brake pedal went right to the floor. I checked the fluid and it was pretty low, so I topped it up so I can get it back up north and fix it. It didn't seem to help, I took it for a burl around the block and if you press the brake to the floor it stops nicely, but not like it used to. I can see it's leaking fluid out of the little sensor part on the side of the booster/reservoir, but I filled it up again and it's still being silly. Any ideas?

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef falon + xk falcon

QLD, Australia

some prick didnt climb under and undo one of your bleeders? lol nah checked the rubber hosses for the outer rubber deteriorating and slightly leaking?

on another note i didnt see you in maryborough on the weekend?

i hate it when its raining, makes my left foot slip off the clutch all the time

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

I didn't end up heading up, I had to do some stuff for uni and decided to go up next weekend. Bit of a bugger but ah well. I'l be heading up this Wednesday or Thursday so if you're keen we should go for a cruise sometime this weekend?

I picked up these puppies today off of here, they're used but only 4000kms on them, and my fronts are shocking. I busted my old front one in a pothole in the forestry and put the ones off our EA in. It's a testament to how royally f**k my old ones were when 12 year old, mostly dirt road driven ones from the EA were better. :lol:

Now to decide whether I'll go lowered or not...

Build Thread

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:38 am 
Tyre Shredder

My cars in a sorry state, I haven't driven it lately as the master cylinder is leaking, I just washed all the brake fluid off of the body to make sure it doesn't eat my paint. The auto is flaring worse and worse, the head gasket is leaking worse than before, it's using oil, it seems to have lost a fair bit of power, the front struts are groaning, and the exhaust is leaking even worse. Poor old thing, it's got 293 thousand ks and probably wasn't looked after throughout its life. I'll get a motorbike for on the road, and take the car home one time and fix it these holidays (about 8 more weeks), and get an exhaust place to put a resonator on the back and a hi-flow cat. I just don't want it to die on me in Brisbane as I have sweet FA tools down here and it will cost a bit to haul it back home.

Now the good news, I scavenged a free computer chair tonight. :D

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

A quick snap after some tyre shine. The headlights look cloudy, which they aren't. I'm missing the cap from the rear wheel, my front wheel arch trim is falling down, and the rear bumper trim is popping out a bit. Work to be done haha.

On a positive note, I fixed my cylinder leak. A screw down the cruise control sensor and she's fine and dandy. :D Thank you to uniacidz and hans hartman for the help with that.

Build Thread

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Benno The Viking wrote:
My cars in a sorry state, I haven't driven it lately as the master cylinder is leaking, I just washed all the brake fluid off of the body to make sure it doesn't eat my paint. The auto is flaring worse and worse, the head gasket is leaking worse than before, it's using oil, it seems to have lost a fair bit of power, the front struts are groaning, and the exhaust is leaking even worse. Poor old thing, it's got 293 thousand ks and probably wasn't looked after throughout its life. I'll get a motorbike for on the road, and take the car home one time and fix it these holidays (about 8 more weeks), and get an exhaust place to put a resonator on the back and a hi-flow cat. I just don't want it to die on me in Brisbane as I have sweet FA tools down here and it will cost a bit to haul it back home.

Now the good news, I scavenged a free computer chair tonight. :D

does it flare more when its cold or hot ?

i suggest doing a fluid change and over filling it slightly by about 100Ml or so ,

or just cheek if you got enough fluid

if it flares worse when warm , put a big a** trans cooler upfront , its what i did in my EF till it got written of was flaring like no tomorrow

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

sounds like you need a trip to the wreckers,any pick and pulls in brizzy?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

hans hartman wrote:
sounds like you need a trip to the wreckers,any pick and pulls in brizzy?

There's a Ford wrecker that has most of the good stuff in a warehouse. It'd be more expensive but save me having to get tools. I have a T5 waiting at home, I wanna chuck it in with a fresh engine in about 2 months. Edit: I only have the T5 and bellhousing. I need the clutch, clutch fork, pedal, gear stick, etc. etc. I think I'll have to buy a complete conversion and save one of the boxes for a spare, as I am finding it hard to grab the individual parts that I need.

EF_wanabe wrote:

does it flare more when its cold or hot ?

i suggest doing a fluid change and over filling it slightly by about 100Ml or so ,

or just cheek if you got enough fluid

if it flares worse when warm , put a big a** trans cooler upfront , its what i did in my EF till it got written of was flaring like no tomorrow

When it's warm, when I drive on the highway or in town back home, it's alright, it's just in stop start traffic in Brizzy it gets a bit cranky. I changed the fluid about...6 months or so ago, I should check the level though. Pretty sure it doesn't leak but I'll see.

I actually thought of that yesterday, chucking a bigger transcooler up the front to try to keep it cooler. Great minds and all that. :wink:

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Tonight I scraped the s**t out of the bottom of my car on a sealed road. Beautiful roads in Brisbane. :lol: Nothing leaking so no worries. What is weird is I've gone through that same place the same speed and it never bottomed, I have stock ride height BUT I was braking so I guess that made the front dive and scrape.

I finally picked up a multimeter, so I'm gonna have a play under the hood and see what the ICS, TPS etc. are giving out.

Oh yeah - vacuum leaks has been in the back of my mind for a while. Any obvious/common ones to look for? All I can think of is at the ICS, intake manifold...any others?

Build Thread

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:11 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ok, here are the numbers. I didn't measure the ISC resistance because I forgot, and it's midnight and I'll do it in the morning.

This is with key on, car not running

Voltage to the ISC - 11.9 V

With the meter set on 20k ohms.

TPS - bottom pin to middle pin - 0.67 closed, 3.29 wide open throttle

TPS - middle to top - 0.73 open, 3.38 closed.

According to my book, the ohms on the ISC should be 9.6 ohms with a tolerance of 10%...I have a feeling it's buggered.

Also my ISC was 'buzzing' when I first opened the bonnet, perhaps that means it's stuffed.

I had a maths exam today so I'm fed up with the numbaahhzz for now, ha, ha.

Tomorrow's task - ISC resistance, TPS voltages while plugged in. I really want to sort this crummy idle out. Time to play some Fallout 3 :mrgreen:

Build Thread

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ive got a EF/EL ISC you can have for free pm me

il take a picture of it for you so we can make sure its the correct one

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:10 pm 
Tyre Shredder

I'll hit you up if I decide to get it man. Thanks for that. :D

Just to share with you blokes, today I went to Ford at Indooroopilly in Brisbane and they said $113 for an AU MLS gasket, ordered in from the metro warehouse. Just thought it might be handy for someone.

Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 12  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next