Fordmods Logo

Benno the Viking's EL 

Page 10 of 12 [ 166 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post subject: Re: Benno the Viking's EL
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:19 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL GLi

Well, my idle problem seems to have been fixed, I turned the base idle screw up a bit and it appears to be working, auto gearbox shifts fine. I could 'fix' the idle before by just using the base idle screw, and therefor the butterfly valve, to idle, but that made the auto gearbox shift later which just annoys me.

Last night I was coming back to Brisneyland from a trip home and I noticed my temp gauge went up to the m, quickly. Oh s**t. I pulled over on the side of the road in brissy and looked under the hood, it wasn't any warmer than normal to the touch (precise measurement, I know :lol: ) and so I just got the f**k home. I was praying like mad it wouldn't break down as I shot through the valley. I also noticed my heater wasn't working any more, which freaked me out a bit, because odds are it had little to no water. I got home and yet, it was low on coolant.

I topped it up this morning and it seems to be leaking out of the water pump. Rather quickly, too. I parked on a hill with the nose of the car pointing up and it seemed to stop it. Here's to hoping I haven't warped the head.

Another thing - I wanna take out my 1636 cam and send it off to EF wanabe (we're doing a deal) and didn't have the time back home. So...is there anyone in Brisbane that is willing to let me use their tools to take out the 1636 and put my standard cam back in? From memory I'd only need a socket set, and a 3mm allen key, maybe some multigrips. I can pay you in Australian dollars and/or help you with your project or whatever you need in exchange. I'd be eternally grateful. :D

Build Thread

the-garage-f53/benno-the-viking-s-el-t111731.html

Ain't nuthin' to it but do it!

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Nothing of interest to add really, although uniacidz I tried the pepper trick you suggested as I have a coolant leak on the front of the engine, and it seemed to stop it. Awesome!

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

How'd you go with the cam replacement? Still looking for a hand?

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Yeah man, I moved into a new place which has a garage which I was planning on swapping the cam out in that (I have the old stock one in my boot ready) but I haven't gotten the keys to the garage yet so I am still hunting a shed or somewhere to take it out in.

Did you avoid the hail yesterday arvo/night?

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Well I got shocks/struts/springs to put into my car, was thinking of getting a few of us together as a bit of a 'training' day, slash give each other a hand out...
I don't know if you wanted to, but yeah might sort out your garage issue... Failing that, I can supply tools and give you a hand, dare say krazed might join us too potentially.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Oh and the hail, yeah I dodged it...
Though my black ute nearly got hit. Luckily my mates Miss's told him to go move it, otherwise it would have been hit by these..
How'd you go?

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Oh true, I've got newish shocks waiting back up north for my car, I have just been too busy to get up there and put them in so I know the feeling haha. The garage is decently sized so shouldn't be too bad with the car reversed in there. The cam isn't too hard to change so I'm all up for a few of us getting together and doing a day of car stuff.

I had to head to work so I jumped in the car and 2 minutes up the road I hear this BANG on my roof and see another hailstone that was about the size of a golf ball hit my windscreen. Not as big as that monster below. :shock: I hot footed it back home and hid underneath the building till it stopped but I could only see hail the size of peas falling. No dings that I could see so lucky miss. I would have cringed if the AU ute or your new car had gotten messed up by it.

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

My car knowledge is purely textbook, so I personally would love to get my hands dirty. I do it at work, but never on cars... So I'm keen to help out where I can... If we can make a day of it and get some work done, then even better...

Yeah I was a bit worried when he wouldn't answer my calls, but turned out alright. So I'm happy... Though I have seen some people I went to school with on fb that didn't fair up so good :/

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:30 am 
Tyre Shredder

FordAUte wrote:
My car knowledge is purely textbook, so I personally would love to get my hands dirty. I do it at work, but never on cars... So I'm keen to help out where I can... If we can make a day of it and get some work done, then even better...

Yeah I was a bit worried when he wouldn't answer my calls, but turned out alright. So I'm happy... Though I have seen some people I went to school with on fb that didn't fair up so good :/

Oh true, well i'm sure most on here will agree with me, it's fun when you get it right but really really frustrating when you get it wrong. :lol:

Phew, lucky man. Yeah I saw a photo Brisride cars posted of some poor buggers back window and it seriously looked like a war photo you see from Iraq or Afghanistan where someone has lit up a car with a machine gun. :shock:

Build Thread

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Umm ouch... Poor bugger.

I know that one already... Haha
I have enough experience from work and tinkering with motorbikes at home, but yeah just never done anything with my cars... So wish I had my own place/lived with my parents, so I could have a project car/engine. Mmmmm... I can only dream lol

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:40 am 
Tyre Shredder

I know that feeling man...my old place I didn't even have a garage to park in and since it was a 'rich' neighbourhood, and I left my car outside for a few days when it was real dirty from back home I was getting phone calls, "Someone left a dirty old falcon outside your house." Thanks :cry: Back north at my old mans was awesome, huge shed, just about any tool I needed, even a forklift to lift/flip donor cars if I was too lazy to crawl under it. Those were the days haha.

How's the FG going?

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

That would be song good... Haha loving the forklift part, I would abuse the s**t out of that. So lazy... Lol

About to give her a service, and got shocks/struts, SSL (front) SSSL (rear) to put in. But need bigger wheels first otherwise it will be a nightmare to drive. Umm picking up a growler this afternoon. Umm... Got a helmet for the drags... Just for s**t lol umm yeah that's about it really... She is going alright :)

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Oh yeah man, we had this old wrecked XF that had extractors on it, the extractors were welded straight to the exhaust so to take them off I just flipped it on its side with the forklift and cut the mounts with an oxy. :lol: That thing was so good...you could lift the whole XF up and move it with ease.

Oh true, that would look pretty lean and mean with lowered springs. Growler! I want one of them for mine but I don't really know if there's anything available and they are so expensive. When are you heading to the drags next?

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i want to move out to acreage so bad... would love to have a shed etc. oh well gotta have something to aspire to lol

yeah would look nice, cept i need bigger wheels before i can put them in cause the 16's just arent going to cut it. yeah the growler was a good deal, its a bit cut up though. the guy i bought it off had it in his F6 ute and he had to trim the bottom of it to fit around the intercooler piping.
umm just look for a second hand one, or just do a DIY pod filter box... im sure there are threads on here about it, if not lots of pictures from others.

umm im not too sure, Krazed said there is another one before the end of the month. but i havnt been on personally to check it out. i dont know what ill be doing though... i could possibly be too broke lol aww man i really want rims lol

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:58 am 
Tyre Shredder

FordAUte wrote:
i want to move out to acreage so bad... would love to have a shed etc. oh well gotta have something to aspire to lol

yeah would look nice, cept i need bigger wheels before i can put them in cause the 16's just arent going to cut it. yeah the growler was a good deal, its a bit cut up though. the guy i bought it off had it in his F6 ute and he had to trim the bottom of it to fit around the intercooler piping.
umm just look for a second hand one, or just do a DIY pod filter box... im sure there are threads on here about it, if not lots of pictures from others.

umm im not too sure, Krazed said there is another one before the end of the month. but i havnt been on personally to check it out. i dont know what ill be doing though... i could possibly be too broke lol aww man i really want rims lol

yeah man, I'm looking forward to the day I own my own place, my own castle haha.

Did you mention on Friday that you fitted the growler? How does it sound? Any performance difference?

I'm so keen to drop that fresh block and a few other goodies into my car, it just seems so f**k hard to save money though...I put in a hard week at work, chase them up for hours, and then all these stupid bills pop up and it's goodnight sweet bank balance. Ahhh well.

As for mods lately - not much! I bought a Calibre socket set from supercheap the other day - 4-12mm, 1/4 inch drive one. Chrome vanadium, lifetime warranty, not bad for 40 bucks. I kind of want to get a 3/8 inch breaker bar (already have adapters for 3/8 - 1/4 inch) for tighter bolts. If i get this new job I'll get a fragram 3/8 inch drive one, the one my old man has is excellent and we've used it on everything from motorbikes, cars etc. to tractors, farm machinery etc.

Gonna be pulling out that 1636 cam to send to EFWannabe today. It is raining so I'll have to pick up the key to my garage (slack real estate). I went for 1 last run up Cootha with the cam but it was s**t because it was foggy up the top, I had to go about 40 for most of it haha. Ah well.

Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 10 of 12  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next