Post subject: Re: Benno the Viking's EL
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL GLi

Teknoslasher wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:
Teknoslasher wrote:
Quote:
Cheers man! I'll have to shout you a few brewskis for them though.

Today I started working on a CAI for my car...I'm tossing up between running a pipe down to the bottom of the ground vs. Autospeeds way of just feeding it to the snorkel. The downside of the latter is I have to cut the bumper a bit.

Also I was hunting why I have brake shudder...I don't think it is a warped disk as I replaced them with new ones last year. It is a shaking when I brake at about 90-110+ (always on private roads when over 110km/h of course) so I think it's either air in the lines (brakes are a bit spongey), loose bearings (new bearing last year, they aren't burnt or dry or anything) but I torqued them both up to Gregory's spec and also 'Dad' spec (by feel) and it didn't fix it, or a bent or unbalanced wheel. Tomorrow's project will be rotating my wheels, checking the damn bearings once again, and bleeding the brakes.

New tyres on the rear soon, they are still legal depth but chopped out like crazy from the gravel road. I'm pretty glad I have an LSD though, my friend who has my car but in a wagon did a few single spinners, and now EVERY corner, it spins the right wheel. In the wet you have to be verycareful with the throttle. Bloody irresponsible P platers!

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm off to try to plumb up this cold air intake, photos will be up tonight if I get 'er dun!

Don't feel obligated to; they were on the car when I got them and I had since bought a package of air shocks and springs for both front and rear. No idea why the previous owner had only rears on, maybe he liked to be on that slight angle. Haha.

Once you figure out your shudder problem, let me know. I've got a pretty bad one at those speeds as well -- I've been tempted to just pull of the control arms from my old white EF ford, clean and paint them up, replace the joints, rubbers and bearings and then put new rotors on. The only problem with doing this is I can't really identify the main problem unless its visual.

Ah, it's the least I can do! My car had either lowered ones on the front or sagged badly, it made the car ride on a savage angle, and scrape a lot.

Will do! It's pretty annoying, the shaking in the steering wheel isn't exactly confidence inspiring. Braking at 150 or so, on a private road, it still stops pretty well, but like I said, if you touch the brake at 105 to slow down it shakes and makes it seem like your car is going to self destruct. I gave the suspension a quick lookover when I had the struts off and nothing was glaringly obvious. It's a bit of a mystery. :?

Your EL must the the previous or next off the line from mine as thats the exact problem I have. I hate going down the Toowoomba range as its rather steep so you build up speed and the. Get that god awful shudder. Haha.

It must be! Haha. That would be a bit scary down the Toowoomba range! Luckily there's no big hills around me, haha.

My new exhaust hasn't arrived...I transferred the money last Tuesday, so it would have got to the seller on Thursday/friday at the latest. No exahust by today, so I emailed him. Turns out he hasn't even sent it as he needs "the date and reference for the payment." I left my ebay username as the goddamn reference as requested...it is clear that the bank transfer with the reference b****3 is from b****3, isn't it? So after 9 days of trying to figure out which payment was mine, he didn't think to email me. He left it up to me to guess that he hasn't sent it yet. Not too pleased with this.

Build Thread

the-garage-f53/benno-the-viking-s-el-t111731.html

Ain't nuthin' to it but do it!

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: '96 EL Ford Fairmonth Ghia.

QLD, Australia

Benno The Viking wrote:
It must be! Haha. That would be a bit scary down the Toowoomba range! Luckily there's no big hills around me, haha.

My new exhaust hasn't arrived...I transferred the money last Tuesday, so it would have got to the seller on Thursday/friday at the latest. No exahust by today, so I emailed him. Turns out he hasn't even sent it as he needs "the date and reference for the payment." I left my ebay username as the goddamn reference as requested...it is clear that the bank transfer with the reference b****3 is from b****3, isn't it? So after 9 days of trying to figure out which payment was mine, he didn't think to email me. He left it up to me to guess that he hasn't sent it yet. Not too pleased with this.

Screw that. How much did you pay again? As someone that works in accounts/customer service/sales, I highly doubt that he doesn't have any method to have tracked that payment through his bank account without you having to resend that information again -- hell, he could easily track it by the dollar value even.

I'd open a report against him if you don't hear back to him today. That'll make him sweat over it at least.

What set up is the exhaust? Link it. ;)

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Teknoslasher wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:

Screw that. How much did you pay again? As someone that works in accounts/customer service/sales, I highly doubt that he doesn't have any method to have tracked that payment through his bank account without you having to resend that information again -- hell, he could easily track it by the dollar value even.

I'd open a report against him if you don't hear back to him today. That'll make him sweat over it at least.

What set up is the exhaust? Link it. ;)

I just bought one of those Lukeys off ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220794231569 ... 1497.l2649

217 bucks by the time I got it shipped here. And yes, I didn't think it would be hard to find out which payment was mine. One thing I bought off ebay I forgot to leave my ebay ID, I emailed them the details and they replied to me that day saying no problems. I might check to see if anyone else bought this same item for the same price in the same time period as me, if not, then something is a bit dodgy...why wait 9 days without contacting me? Haha. s**t customer service for sure.

Build Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Benno The Viking wrote:
s**t customer service for sure.

You can say that again.

Looks like an alright set up. I'm going to replace the setup I just put on down the track with 4499 Pacers in Ceramic coating, but then I'll get a cat welded up so it can just bolt on and off to the headers and the exhaust instead of being welded to the exhaust and bolting on to the headers.

Are you getting a resonator put on the back end of your setup?

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:42 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Teknoslasher wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:

You can say that again.

Looks like an alright set up. I'm going to replace the setup I just put on down the track with 4499 Pacers in Ceramic coating, but then I'll get a cat welded up so it can just bolt on and off to the headers and the exhaust instead of being welded to the exhaust and bolting on to the headers.

It's a beginning, the stock exhaust doesn't sound too bad down low but up high sounds like a rasping old man. I have 4480s on mine. I got the cat off our old EA to put on mine, so I could bolt my stock headers and good cat back on whenever I need, but the guts fell out of it so I just put a 2.5 inch pipe in place with the cat housing around it so it looks stock. Naughty but I'll get a high flow cat put in ASAP. I made my 'cat' so it bolts up to my standard exhaust for the reason I mentioned before of backwards compatibility.

What sort of setup do you have on yours at the moment?

Yeah, I know I'll have to get a resonator on mine at some stage with the auto, I dunno whether to go a glasspack hotdog or a proper resonator. :?

Build Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Benno The Viking wrote:
Teknoslasher wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:

You can say that again.

It's a beginning, the stock exhaust doesn't sound too bad down low but up high sounds like a rasping old man. I have 4480s on mine. I got the cat off our old EA to put on mine, so I could bolt my stock headers and good cat back on whenever I need, but the guts fell out of it so I just put a 2.5 inch pipe in place with the cat housing around it so it looks stock. Naughty but I'll get a high flow cat put in ASAP. I made my 'cat' so it bolts up to my standard exhaust for the reason I mentioned before of backwards compatibility.

Yeah, I know I'll have to get a resonator on mine at some stage with the auto, I dunno whether to go a glasspack hotdog or a proper resonator. :?

I have the 4499 Headers into a 200CPI Cat of unknown make, one box and a hotdog/resonator (I'm not 100% on the exacts). I wasn't expecting much of a difference, but once I got the setup on and started it up, I was happily surprised.

This is my setup here - Tekno's '96 EL Fairmont Ghia build thread.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:42 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Teknoslasher wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:
Teknoslasher wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:

You can say that again.

I have the 4499 Headers into a 200CPI Cat of unknown make, one box and a hotdog/resonator (I'm not 100% on the exacts). I wasn't expecting much of a difference, but once I got the setup on and started it up, I was happily surprised.

Nice! Is it very loud with the setup that you have? I can't wait for mine to arrive, if it ever does, haha.

Build Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Benno The Viking wrote:
Teknoslasher wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:
Teknoslasher wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:

You can say that again.

Nice! Is it very loud with the setup that you have? I can't wait for mine to arrive, if it ever does, haha.

It's pretty loud when I choose it to be (by planting my foot). I've got a video on the 2nd page of my build with the exhaust system noise in it.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:36 am 
Tyre Shredder

Teknoslasher wrote:
It's pretty loud when I choose it to be (by planting my foot). I've got a video on the 2nd page of my build with the exhaust system noise in it.

I'll check it out, I had to put the computer off yesterday before I could read all your thread because our power was running out (we're not on the grid so solar and a generator) :(

I opened a case on ebay with my exhaust seller, I emailed him yesterday at 10 o'clock and no reply by 10 this morning. Bad communication, I just want either my exhaust or my money back. Ah well, it'll turn out in the wash.

Wish I could afford a DiFillipo exhaust for mine, my mate has one on his SV6 and it sounds a treat, I've never heard a car like it before.

Edit: I got a message back from him and he's sent the item, you were right, opening a case did make him sweat!

Build Thread

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Forgive my ignorance, but does anyone know whether an EF bodykit fit on an EL? I am trying to find whether it will or not but can't seem to find anything.

Build Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Exhaust still hasn't arrived...this is giving me the s**t. I opened the Ebay case on the 16th and he said it was sent on the 16th...but then when I tracked the parcel on the courier website, it was actually sent on the 19th. Bought it on the 5th and it's now the 22nd. :roll: Such is life eh?

Build Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Benno The Viking wrote:
Exhaust still hasn't arrived...this is giving me the s**t. I opened the Ebay case on the 16th and he said it was sent on the 16th...but then when I tracked the parcel on the courier website, it was actually sent on the 19th. Bought it on the 5th and it's now the 22nd. :roll: Such is life eh?

I'd post that on the feedback message you'll leave him along with negative feedback.

Who was the seller?

Fingers crossed it turns up soon.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:29 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Teknoslasher wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:

I'd post that on the feedback message you'll leave him along with negative feedback.

Who was the seller?

3dsampdan is his Ebay name, he's got a bit of negative feedback but most of it seems to be alright. I was hoping it would turn up today as it's a rainy weekend, perfect for working on cars, but ah well. I'm just having a b**ch because I've been stuck at home for a few days due to our creek flooding. I will give him negative feedback as he screwed around with my payment for days then send it late...

Build Thread

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Benno The Viking wrote:
Teknoslasher wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:

Who was the seller?

3dsampdan is his Ebay name, he's got a bit of negative feedback but most of it seems to be alright. I was hoping it would turn up today as it's a rainy weekend, perfect for working on cars, but ah well. I'm just having a b**ch because I've been stuck at home for a few days due to our creek flooding. I will give him negative feedback as he screwed around with my payment for days then send it late...

Where abouts are you at?

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Teknoslasher wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:
Teknoslasher wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:

Who was the seller?

Where abouts are you at?

Do you know where Hervey Bay is? I'm up that direction, you go 30kms past Maryborough to Howard, then I'm about 15kms out of Howard. Howard is known as a hick town/hole, and I live 15kms into the bush from it. :lol:

Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 12  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next