Fordmods Logo

Benno the Viking's EL 

Page 12 of 12 [ 166 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Post subject: Re: Benno the Viking's EL - EL to EF ABS module swaps.
Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:43 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL GLi

Not much progress, just started putting some of the electric window winders in the doors, cleaning/fish oiling, putting looms in etc. I put some fly screen under the bonnet tray to stop those acidic bloody leaves getting in there again, what a pain in the a***. At least I'm more familiar with the drainage system of the front of my car haha.

Because I'll be running full EF loom I decided to run the early EF ABS module (Bosch 2U on early EF, Bosch 5.3 on late EF/Early EL) to save on wiring hassles if i were to use my EL module. The bracket that holds the module to the body is slightly different - EF module has 3 studs that bolt to the bracket, EL uses 2. The modules have actual little rubber mounts from the studs to the body. I figured the easiest way is to pinch the EF bracket off my donor car and put it onto the EL. The rivets are bloody hard in the centres, I ended up grinding them off and punching them out. The rivets are in different spots but there was holes for them on my EL that lined up. I put the bracket back on with high tensile M8 bolts and spring washers and loctite to stop them vibrating loose.

The hard brake lines on the EF go in the back of the module body, the EL goes into the top. Easiest way around that is to disconnect the EL ones at junctions near the chassis rail and you can swap the EF ones on - this lines them all up nicely. So to give the summary - you can keep your hard lines from the junctions back, but you have to use the EF ones for the module to front right brake, and junctions to module. Hope this helps someone out, since I couldn't find any info about this before I did it. Or just don't be a goose like me and stick with an EF-EF or EL-EL conversion haha.

Build Thread

the-garage-f53/benno-the-viking-s-el-t111731.html

Ain't nuthin' to it but do it!

Sort by  
 Page 12 of 12  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12